Changed our minds again! Help narrowing down short list

I posted only a short while ago with our favourite names for boys and girls. (I don’t know the gender yet). We have changed our list once again following more discussions together (wherein a few former favourites got cut), and now have a list of three top names for both boys and girls that we both [name]LOVE[/name]. We are going to mull over the names during the remaining months, but any thoughts (or other combinations) that might help me narrow it down would be welcome! Also our last name starts with “R” and is two syllables, ending in “y”.

GIRLS:
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - this is my husband’s favourite; [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a family name and we both love [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - we both love the name [name]Iris[/name], but worry that the flow is a little off with our last name “[name]Iris[/name] R___”
[name]Estelle[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - [name]Both[/name] names are family names.

BOYS:
[name]John[/name] [name]Henry[/name] - We would call him “[name]Henry[/name]”; we just like the names in this order ([name]John[/name] is a family name)
[name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] - [name]Both[/name] family names. I think this is my favourite name
[name]Robert[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] - [name]Robert[/name] is a family name, and we both like [name]Elliot[/name] (but it needs to be in the middle position)

*Other names that didn’t quite make the short list, but which we both like:
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]

[name]William[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

Ok, what do you think? I’m hoping this short list helps us arrive at a name we both love.

Based on your comments my first choice is [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Wow a name both you and your husband love and a middle name that honors a family member. The next name would be [name]Estelle[/name]. [name]Iris[/name] would not be a name on my list.

The boy name is harder for me to pick. [name]John[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] sounds nice, but I also love the name [name]Henry[/name]. ([name]James[/name] and [name]Robert[/name] are good solid names, I am not picturing a new baby though). [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]William[/name] would make a great baby name too.

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of your girl choices. I like [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Estelle[/name] a little more than [name]Iris[/name]. I would love to meet a little [name]Estelle[/name]!

Of your boys, I would pick [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]. I like [name]John[/name] [name]Henry[/name], but am not a fan of going by the middle name. [name]Robert[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] is also nice, but I find it difficult to picture a baby [name]Robert[/name].

Thanks so much for the comments! I’m torn between [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] at the moment - but we’re leaning a little toward [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] because my husband really loves that name. And I agree with you krismichelle about the name order issue with [name]John[/name] [name]Henry[/name] - I first tabled the name [name]Henry[/name] [name]John[/name], but my husband liked the order the other way. Hmmmmm…I do really love the name [name]Henry[/name]!
What do you think of [name]William[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] instead of [name]Robert[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]? (I’ve been waffling about the name [name]Robert[/name] too – I like it, and I think “[name]Robbie[/name]” is cute on a little boy, but I’m not sure if I like the alliteration of [name]Robert[/name] R____).
Thanks for the helpful comments!

My favorites from your list are [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]. :slight_smile: Although now that you’ve mentioned [name]William[/name] [name]Elliot[/name], that would have to be about tied with [name]James[/name] as my favorite of your boy names. While I’m not crazy about the name [name]Robert[/name], I do think that [name]Robbie[/name] is adorable on a litte boy! :slight_smile: [name]Estelle[/name] is also very pretty, and would be my second favorite of your girl choices.
Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is very beautiful. I think [name]Iris[/name] might sound a little clunky with your last name. Have you considered [name]Stella[/name] as a variation on the family name of [name]Estelle[/name]? I just love the sound of [name]Stella[/name] and I love the way [name]Stella[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] R. flows. It is truly stunning in my opinion. For girls I would choose [name]Stella[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] and then [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (gorgeous name any girl would love to have).

For boys… I don’t like [name]John[/name] [name]Henry[/name]. I don’t like the idea of a child going by their middle name. A big hassle IMHO. Also, I think [name]Henry[/name] [name]John[/name] sounds jut fine, but I also don’t like the name [name]Henry[/name] period. haha. So this name is a no-go for me. I like [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name], it sounds good but I don’t love. I really like [name]Frederick[/name] [name]James[/name] however. I can’t imagine a baby [name]Robert[/name], what would you call him? [name]Robert[/name]? or by a nn? I don’t know. I love [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]. I would choose either [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name] [name]James[/name]/[name]John[/name] for a boy. :slight_smile:

[name]Hope[/name] this helps! Good luck!

I just saw that you were looking at [name]William[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]! I love that! nn of [name]Liam[/name] is so cute. [name]William[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] is a brilliant name. [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]William[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] would be my new choices.

[name]Robert[/name] [name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

Although [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is pretty, it is a common name nowadays and I always hated having a common name growing up (my name is [name]Jessica[/name]). Off your list my favourite is [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (althought I prefer [name]Estella[/name]…) as it is the most unusual of the bunch and [name]Estelle[/name] can have lots of cute nicknames ([name]Elle[/name]; [name]Ella[/name]; [name]Stella[/name]; Stelly etc). From the ‘other names’ I think [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Mary[/name] sounds beautiful - [name]Beatrice[/name] is such a classy and exquisite name!

Now on to the boys: I think [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] sounds the nicest, although like [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]James[/name] is also very common. [name]Theodore[/name] is adorable though! Congrats on your new baby!

I would go with [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]. I’m not sure I like the repeated r’s in [name]Robert[/name] and [name]Iris[/name], and the repeated “y” ending of [name]Henry[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m really surprised that so many are recommending [name]Charlotte[/name]. This name was absolute favorite name for about 10 years, but now it is just too popular. It is very, very, very popular and if you pick it, your daughter will end up being a ‘[name]Charlotte[/name] M.’, one of tens in school. [name]Charlotte[/name] is also going the way of [name]Grace[/name]. It’s a beautiful timeless name that many people love, but because it’s being used so much, it is starting to sound trendier than it really is. It’s been the #1 girl’s name on NB for two years now. I really love the name, too, so it’s nothing against it, I just think if you have any concerns about a name being too used right now, I would steer clear of this.

My favorite is [name]Iris[/name]. I love flower names, and it’s different but traditional at the same time. Based on your description of the name, it doesn’t sound like it wouldn’t fit with your last name any more than [name]Charlotte[/name] would because they both have the same sound - 2 syllable, accent on the first.

I sort of like [name]Estelle[/name], but it still reminds me of [name]Estelle[/name] Getty in “Stop or My Mom [name]Will[/name] Shoot”.

Of your other list, I adore [name]Alice[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Mary[/name] is like [name]John[/name] - a classic that few seem to be using these days. But actually my favorite of all the names you have up is [name]Margaret[/name]. It has a ton of nickname potential, is substantial like [name]Charlotte[/name], and isn’t over-saturated. I saw a little girl with a seersucker sundress on yesterday named [name]Margaret[/name] and I about died. It was so refreshing to hear.

My favorites - [name]Iris[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] (if possible)

As for boys, I feel the exact same way about [name]Henry[/name] as I do about [name]Charlotte[/name]. Once my #1 favorite name, now so over-saturated I can barely go anywhere without hearing the name. I was once watching HGTV and on three shows in a row there were three nurseries, all had the same set of letters that spell out the kids’ name and ALL THREE were boys named [name]Henry[/name].

I love [name]John[/name] and it’s very underused and underappreciated, so why not call him [name]John[/name]?

[name]James[/name] is very nice. Would you call him [name]James[/name], [name]Jamie[/name], [name]Jim[/name], [name]Jimmy[/name]? If you don’t like those nns, you may have to hear them anyway because they are so common as nns for [name]James[/name]. (just throwing that out as something to consider, not that it’s a dealbreaker)

I also really like [name]Robert[/name]! Again, though. Would you mind if your son was call ‘[name]Bob[/name]’? I think [name]Bert[/name] would be a cute name for a little boy.

[name]William[/name] is a great name, but is ranked in the top 10 most popular names, so there’s still a saturation issue, in my opinion.

[name]Thomas[/name] I love and like [name]John[/name] is underappreciated.

[name]Theodore[/name] is one of my favorites, but starting to get a bit trendy as well, despite its traditional roots.

My favorites for you - [name]James[/name], [name]John[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name]

Sorry if this is a bit negative. I love all the names and think you have great taste, I just want to give all the thoughts that I have about the name and popularity is a big one. Like a pp said, growing up with a name that is very common can be a pain in the butt and it’s also my opinion that having a more unique name helps you career-wise as people are more likely to remember you on paper, such as when they get your resume, college app, etc.

I would go with [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]! Perfect! I don’t think Charlotte will become too popular. :slight_smile: