changing baby's name --- need advice.

My DS was born 6 weeks ago and 8 weeks early so we were totally unprepared baby name wise. We named him [name]Mackey[/name] [name]Vincent[/name] P____. The birth certificate lady insisted that we name him w/in 24 hours and we hadnt even had a chance to hold him yet. I was on lots of drugs and am have been regretting our decision. My DH says we should just leave it and it is hard to imagine calling him anything else but it just doesn’t feel right - but the thing is that nothing else seems right either. We went into the hospital w/ 15 names on our list — and [name]Mackey[/name] wasnt even close to the top. I dont even really know how he ended up w/ that name. [name]Do[/name] you think he will just grow into his name - anyone have any experience. Everyone in real life acts like I am crazy for thinking about changing his name but i just want to love it as much as i love my older son’s name.

Our top 3 choices throughout my pregnancy were [name]Tate[/name], [name]Max[/name] and [name]Kellen[/name] ---- I am just so confused and frustrated bc I thought this naming drama would be over when he was born.

Congratulations on your baby boy!!!
I haven’t had this happen, but I am worried that it might!!
I guess it depends on whether the name feels really wrong, or if you are just having second thoughts.
One option would be to keep his name but nickname him [name]Max[/name], or change his name to [name]Max[/name] with the nickname [name]Mackey[/name]. The other two names in your top three are a bit too much of a change, this way the change won’t be as dramatic. I do think he will most likely grow into his name, I believe things usually happen for a reason :slight_smile: But if it really doesn’t feel right, I think [name]Max[/name] nn [name]Mackey[/name] would be a great choice!
[name]Hope[/name] I helped a bit,
Good luck!!!
[name]Yvette[/name]

I don’t think it’s too late to change it, especially if you feel like his name isn’t right, which seems to be the case. There have been quite a few people with naming regrets on here, so I’m sure you’ll come to a decision! One thing you could do is call him [name]Mackey[/name] as a nickname since you can’t imagine calling him anything else, and use [name]Max[/name] (or any other name-- [name]Malcom[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name], [name]Maximus[/name], [name]Michael[/name]) for his full name. You could also just switch around the middle and first names.

If you don’t feel it is right, then you should think about changing it. I have no personal experience with this matter, but I do think that loving your son’s name is very important. What is your older son’s name, if you don’t mind me asking?

As for little [name]Mackey[/name], changing his name doesn’t mean you can’t still call him [name]Mackey[/name]. [name]Mackey[/name] is a great nickname for basically anything with [name]Mac[/name] in it, or you could switch [name]Mackey[/name] to be his middle name and use anything - including [name]Vincent[/name] - for his first name. Not knowing what your first son’s name is, I’d suggest these options:

[name]Macaulay[/name] - “son of righteousness” - Made famous by [name]Macaulay[/name] Culkin, this name is pretty cool, I think.
[name]Mackenzie[/name] - “son of Comeley” - Might be too popular with the girls nowadays, but a great surname name.
[name]Macon[/name] - Doesn’t have quite that [name]Mac[/name] sound, but it is a really neat place name with literary ties!
[name]Cormac[/name] - “tree trunk” - Weird meaning, but it has a really cool sound and two nice nicknames, [name]Cory[/name] and [name]Mac[/name] (or [name]Mackey[/name])!

Or, you could scrap it all and find a new name you love as much as your older son’s name! Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love the above posters’ ideas of calling your son [name]Michael[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name], [name]Max[/name], or [name]Cormac[/name] with the nn [name]Mackie[/name]. So cute. Then when he gets older, he can use a more formal name if he prefers it. My favorite of all the choices is [name]Cormac[/name]. [name]Michael[/name] has been used so much, but it is very handsome. [name]Malcolm[/name] is a very nice name. [name]Max[/name] gets teased sometimes - [name]Maxi[/name] Pad is a problem.
[name]Mackey[/name] is an adorable nickname for a little boy.
Another more formal name to consider is [name]Maxfield[/name]. So handsome! :smiley:

Wait, after I wrote this, I realized that your user name is @mom2dash. Is your older son’s name [name]Dash[/name]? Neat! Is that short for [name]Dashiell[/name]? If so, [name]Cormac[/name] would be a great choice, considering both names share similar origins. It would be nice either way, I was just curious though…

Anyway, [name]Maxfield[/name] was a great suggestion from [name]Susan[/name], too! So distinguished, I think.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I like the name [name]Kellen[/name]! [name]Do[/name] you all still like that one? This might be a stretch but here are a few other [name]Mack[/name] suggestions just in case.

[name]Maverick[/name]- nn [name]Mack[/name] or [name]Mackey[/name]
[name]Mekhi[/name]- Like the actor [name]Mekhi[/name] Phifer(pronounced muh-kai or meh-kai)
[name]Makai[/name]- Variant of [name]Michael[/name] (pronounced Muh-kai)
[name]Malachi[/name]- nn [name]Kai[/name] or [name]Mackey[/name] or [name]Mac[/name]
[name]Mikhail[/name]-Russian variant of [name]Michael[/name] (pronounced Meh-kai-elle). I know a Russian guy with this name and his nn is [name]Misha[/name], which is a common Russian nn for [name]Mikhail[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you think any of these might work? :geek:

[name]Hi[/name]! I also felt that way after my second son was born. I named him [name]Reece[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] which I later changed the spelling to [name]Rhys[/name] a month later. Anyway I think you want to go with something that sounds very similar so it is not a HUGE change. I love [name]Maxfield[/name] and call him [name]Max[/name], or else [name]Cormac[/name] and call him [name]Mac[/name]. Macsen is also cool and the same nn of [name]Mac[/name]. I think that way it will feel the same but cooler!! You don’t want to regret his name.