Changing My Name To Distance From my Past

Already posted on reddit, but wanted some more opinions here :slight_smile:

Hello!

Background: So basically I didn’t have a great childhood. [name_f]My[/name_f] father was very abusive, and things were always difficult for my family and I. I’m named after my father, and my middle name is a very common family name to make things worse. Now, I finally have the opportunity to change my name, something I’ve wanted to do for quite some time. To me, it respires ends a fresh start and a new life. I’m really excited to choose a new name because I’ve been fascinated with names my whole life.

Description: I love all things involving art- movies, fashion, and writing mainly. I have always enjoyed travel, and want to explore many places in my life. I am usually introverted and keep to myself, but my sense of humour comes out once I get to know people. I’m short, with curly brown hair, hazel eyes, & freckles. I love wearing fun clothing with fun & vibrant patterns, prints, or textures. I love going to the movie theatre and the mall with friends (or alone), and exploring the city.

Some names I’ve considered but don’t seem quite right, although I could be swayed. I would love more suggestions. [name_f]My[/name_f] style is all over the place, I’m so sorry.

-[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
-[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
-[name_f]Suvi[/name_f]
-[name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
-[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
-[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
-[name_u]Snow[/name_u]

My biggest ‘guilty pleasure’ name is [name_u]Hero[/name_u], I love [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] but don’t know if it would be usable nowadays.

Thank you so much for your help in advance, any and all advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

Since I can’t really think of a certain style of names to suggest, I’m not going to suggest any, but one recommendation would be to just browse people’s user cards, because there are loads of names there.
(I am not insulting your intelligence if you do already know this, but I didn’t know how to look at a user card when I first joined, so I just wanted to explain that if you click on anyone’s username in a thread, it’ll take you there. I’m sure you’re more intelligent than me and know this, but I just wanted to make sure! :smile:)

I actually had no idea, thank you so much for telling me! I’ll be sure to look around the forums.

I’m also not really sure what to suggest, but definitely have a look at user cards and some of the lists! As for [name_u]Hero[/name_u], when I pictured you based on your description, I could 100% see you introducing yourself as [name_u]Hero[/name_u]! If you like it, go for it!

2 Likes

I like your ideas of [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] and [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]! If you’re comfortable introducing yourself as [name_u]Hero[/name_u] then I think it could work. Many people suggest doing the “Starbucks test”. Using the name that you like as your name when you order or go out anywhere really. See if you feel comfortable saying it.
Maybe you would like:
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Eos[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]

2 Likes

I agree with @lyrasoxford that [name_u]Hero[/name_u] seems to suit you really well!

Some more suggestions based on the names you like:

• Artemis
  • Astoria ‘[name_u]Story[/name_u]’
  • Bianca
  • Birdie
  • Blair
  • Blythe
  • Briar
  • Brie
  • Briony
  • Calla
  • Celia
  • Clementine
  • Cora
  • Cyan
  • Daphne
  • Dodie
  • Eleanor
  • Elfie
  • Elva
  • Enya
  • Eugenie
  • Eve
  • Evelien
  • Ffion
  • Guinevere
  • Greer
  • Harlow
  • Hazel
  • Hedy
  • Hera
  • Hester
  • Hetty
  • Indie
  • Indigo
  • Julia
  • Juniper
  • Juno
  • Kit
  • Lark(spur)
  • Lumi
  • Lux
  • Lydia
  • Lysandra
  • Mabel
  • Maisie
  • Margot
  • Marigold
  • Merryn
  • Milo
  • Minerva ‘[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]’
  • Morrigan
  • Nina
  • Nuala
  • Olympia
  • Phoebe
  • Phoenix
  • Rachel
  • Ramona
  • Remy
  • Robin
  • Romana
  • Romi
  • Romilly
  • Rowan
  • Ruby
  • Rue
  • Signe
  • Soleil
  • Sparrow
  • Suri
  • Sylvie
  • Tempest
  • Theodora
  • Venus
  • Vesper
  • Willow
  • Winslow
  • Wynn
  • Ziva
  • Zoe
1 Like

I like [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] (although that’s my state’s capital lol), [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Aurelia
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Opaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Evette[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply! I will be trying the Starbucks test. [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], & [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] are super pretty!

2 Likes

All of these are gorgeous! I think my two favourites are [name_f]Winona[/name_f] and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]!

This is an absolutely wonderful list, thank you so much! There are so many lovely names here that I’ve added to my list. I was really self conscious about [name_u]Hero[/name_u] at first but I’m considering it more now because I’ve gotten several replies saying it fits me! Thank you so much for replying.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is absolutely useable and, the more I consider it, the more I love it, and it sounds like you love it a lot too, which is what really matters!

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s definitely in my top contenders. I was just worried because it seems like a ‘title’ name based on other opinions I’ve seen on the internet. To me though because of it’s past, I see it as romantic and lovely. I also like that it’s easy to spell and pronounce.

1 Like

Thank you! I think it’s a really lovely name.

I’m liking Orla Hero, Aurelia Hero or Oriane Hero. I also like Zora, but I don’t think Zora Hero sounds very good. My favorite is Oriane Hero because Oriane means sunrise, and the name you pick will be the dawn of a new part of your life. You could always go by Hero.

If you want Hero as a first name, I would say Hero Aurelia or Hero Zora.

2 Likes

Athena was the first name that came to mind, I feel like [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] or [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] could work

from your list I love [name_u]Snow[/name_u], it’s a guilty pleasure of mine, as is [name_f]Eira[/name_f] which means snow. [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] is also very pretty and lends well to the nn [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] if you’re interested in nicknames

1 Like

I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f]! I think the nice thing about renaming yourself is that you can try different names out and see what works, like introducing yourself to a stranger (or at Starbucks) with one of your name options and seeing how it works. That can be a good way to figure out what feels like you and also what level of common/uncommon you’re comfortable with.

1 Like

I love both [name_f]Oriane[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] and [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Zora[/name_f]! I’ve never heard [name_f]Oriane[/name_f] before, it’s such a pretty name!

1 Like

Thank you for the combo idea, I like it a lot! [name_f]Eira[/name_f] is gorgeous. I never thought of the nickname [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], but its super cute!

That’s actually a really good idea! Thank you.

[name_f]Suvi[/name_f] is my favorite from your list of options, and I think it would suit you very well! [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] would be my second picks.