Changing my name

My name is [name]Anna[/name], and after talking it over with my mom, I’ve decided to change it. I love [name]Anna[/name] on other people, but it just doesn’t work for me; I honestly don’t think I’m an [name]Anna[/name], and Mom agrees with me. However, the majority of my family is very old-fashioned and is still going to call me [name]Anna[/name], so I’d like something that relates to it to make everything a bit easier. We’re moving to the other side of the state in three months – now seems like a good time to make the transition, I think.

If it’s any help, I’m 15, pale, tall (5’10"), and average weight. I have long, wavy black hair and blue eyes. Writing and reading are my main joys. I’m sarcastic and have a dry sense of humor. Honestly, I’m pretty geeky, hopefully in the endearing way.

So far, my mom is a fan of [name]Susanna[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name]. My middle name is [name]Dean[/name]. [name]Just[/name] for fun since it’s not extremely relevant: My siblings are [name]Eleanor[/name] ("[name]Ellie[/name]") [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Allen[/name].

Thanks!

What a supportive mother you have! Out of curiousity, has your mom always felt like it didnt fit you even as a child, or is it just as youve gotten older that it doesnt feel right? Out of your moms choices I like [name]Annabel[/name] the best and think that would be the easiest transition name as it begins with [name]Anna[/name]. I do like [name]Susannah[/name] as well. Another idea is [name]Hannah[/name], but at 15, Im guessing you would meet a lot of other Hannahs, so that might bother you. Another thought is doing a double name such as [name]Anna[/name] [name]Claire[/name]…if that is of interest, maybe go through a list of one/two syllabol names and see what sounds good with [name]Anna[/name]. I guess it would help us to know to what degree of change your looking for…are you wanting to keep the root of [name]Anna[/name] in the new name? Or are you looking for a completely new a different name and if so, maybe you can give us an idea of what styles appeal to you…classics, unisex, nature names etc…

Im sure others will have some more ideas for you. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Annabel[/name] and I also really like the idea above of [name]Anna[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. I actually knew a girl called [name]Anna[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and I’ve always thought the name was lovely and quite uncommon. Another name I really love is [name]Brianna[/name].

Good luck!
X

Of the two, my vote would be for [name]Susanna[/name], simply because it’s a little less popular. Also, there are a wealth of nickname options which you could use outside of your family, if you didn’t want it to be shortened to [name]Anna[/name] - [name]Susie[/name], [name]Sukie[/name], [name]Sunny[/name], [name]Sanna[/name]/[name]Zanna[/name]. [name]Annabel[/name] is very pretty and of course you could be [name]Belle[/name] or [name]Bella[/name], but here in the UK there are an awful lot of Isabels your age, and I’m guessing it’s the same in [name]America[/name], so you’d have to be prepared for there being other Bellas in your class et cetera.

Other than that, you might like [name]Rosanna[/name] (it sounds like you would really suit being [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Rosie[/name], or even [name]Rosa[/name] or [name]Ro[/name]), or [name]Annika[/name].

[name]Auburn[/name]

I really like the name [name]Susanna[/name]. I think it’s warm, earthy, and a little vintage-quirky. From your description, I think [name]Susanna[/name] would fit you. I could also see [name]Annabel[/name] working, and I love [name]Auburn[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Annika[/name]. I think [name]Annika[/name] sounds a little more modern (in a good way), where [name]Susanna[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] are more old-fashioned (also in a good way.) I also like [name]Joanna[/name], which I think has a similar feel to [name]Susanna[/name].

There are a lot of great names related to or containing [name]Anna[/name] that sound like they might fit you better than just [name]Anna[/name]. You’ll have to figure out which one feels like ‘you.’ Good for you for deciding to take this step! I’m glad your mom is on board. Good luck!

My first thought was [name]Annalise[/name], since it’s a more exotic sounding variant on [name]Anna[/name].

[name]Annika[/name] or [name]Anica[/name] are great and seem like they would suit your personality.

Something related to [name]Anna[/name] sounds lovely!
[name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Rosanna[/name] are my favourites of the ones mentioned already, but I have some more unusual suggestions you might like:
[name]Andromeda[/name]
Anesia
[name]Angelia[/name]
Annevieve
[name]Annia[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Anona[/name]
[name]Anouk[/name]
[name]Anoush[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]/[name]Anthe[/name]
Anthousa
[name]Antona[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Anwen[/name]
[name]Christianna[/name]
Florianne
[name]Giovanna[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Ianna[/name]
[name]Inanna[/name]
[name]Ioanna[/name]
[name]Isannah[/name]
[name]Ivanna[/name]
Lydianna
Moanna
[name]Oleanna[/name]
[name]Roseanna[/name]

Plus a lot of ends-in-[name]Anna[/name] that I don’t have the time to find now, but [name]Julianna[/name] is nice :slight_smile:

Thanks so much, everyone!

She is very supportive! My mom said that as I grew up, she just continued to like the name less and less on me although she does adore it by itself. Now that I really think about it, she also almost never calls me just [name]Anna[/name], but has a huge stock of nicknames; it’s almost always [name]Deanie[/name], [name]Sanna[/name], [name]Joanna[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], etc. Haha, I guess she can’t make up her mind.

She’s not fond of [name]Annalise[/name] and I’m trying to stick to names she likes, so that one’s out, although I like it a lot. She almost named me [name]Susanna[/name], but didn’t because she didn’t want people to call me [name]Susie[/name], so it’s a top choice with a few reservations, I guess. I like the [name]Sanna[/name] nickname, though, especially because I’m already used to it.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Annika[/name], but I’m not sure if Mom will go for it. She’s a very traditional, “comfort” (her words) namer. But I could see myself being [name]Annika[/name]. Same goes for [name]Annia[/name], [name]Anona[/name] and [name]Annora[/name] (love the nn [name]Nora[/name]!).

I’m sure she’ll like Moanna and [name]Rosanna[/name]. I could be a [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Ro[/name], but [name]Rosa[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] have unlikeable associations (who I’m not going to remember in even two years, so it’s not incredibly important).

I have a cousin named [name]Claire[/name] and know an Annabeth, but I’m going to keep looking into add-ons!

I just saw the name [name]Anya[/name], and I like it a lot. I think [name]Anna[/name] wouldn’t be a hugely out-there nickname to be used by the family.

The more I think about [name]Annabel[/name], the more I think it clashes too much with [name]Ellie[/name], who is often called [name]Ell[/name] [name]Bell[/name]. But a lot of people already call me [name]Annabel[/name], and my mom and I love the name, so I’m on the fence.

So, in short: [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Jo/nameanna, Moanna, [name]Rosanna[/name], and [name]Annika[/name] are the top contenders, but I’m also running [name]Annia[/name], [name]Anona[/name], [name]Anya[/name], and [name]Annora[/name] (sister [name]Eleanor[/name]? I guess it doesn’t matter much since she’s always [name]Ellie[/name]) by the mom.