Changing my name

I’ve always really hated my own name, and I now have a chance to change it (possibly moving away to a new school). I definitely think I will do this, as something about me deeply disagrees with the name I’ve been given–to the point where I cringe internally whenever I introduce myself or somebody calls me over. The thought of hearing it for even one more year of my life is unbearable.

I want a name that is less common and sounds more sophisticated. (My current name is “[name_f]Amy[/name_f]”. I actually like this name generally, just not on myself.) I’ve been thinking over what to rename myself for a few years. Although I’ve spent quite some time scouring naming websites like this one, I have never really hit upon one that feels just right.

My new name will be uncommon but not absolutely out there, contain 3 or more syllables, start with A, and end in A. Based on the names I like the most, the -ia ending appeals to me, but I’m open to suggestions without that specific suffix.

I’m not a huge fan of place, word, and brand names, or names that come up too commonly in daily life. A connection to history or science would be a bonus, as would a meaning related to truth or determination or the like, but they aren’t necessary.

My previous pick was [name_f]Cambria[/name_f], but I had to remove it from my shortlist because I wanted to keep my initials (AZ) and it was too common of a place and brand name (although it’s quite rare as a given name, which I like). However, I’m still very attached to the sound of it and its connection to history and evolutionary science.

Currently, the top name on my almost-nonexistent shortlist is [name_f]Alethia[/name_f], which means “truth” in Greek. It’s a very pretty name, but the issues I have with it are that it sounds slightly lispy and not as sophisticated as “[name_f]Cambria[/name_f]” is. (…There’s nothing else on my “shortlist”.)

Suggestions would be deeply appreciated, especially now as my time to decide is quickly running out.

Thank you so much for reading!

[name_f]Aisha[/name_f] [name_f]Aislinn[/name_f] [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u] [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] [name_f]Alia[/name_f] [name_f]Amara[/name_f] [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] Ambre Amélie [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Antonia[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] [name_f]Araminta[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u] [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Ariadna[/name_f] [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] [name_f]Asha[/name_f] Ashera/h [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Audra[/name_f] [name_f]Aura[/name_f] Aurana [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] [name_f]Aviana[/name_f].
[name_m]Just[/name_m] offering some from my list.
I am sorry you are so unhappy with your name. Our name is such an important part of our identity you do need to feel okay about it. Best wishes finding something you like.

Some names I thought you might like:
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]
[name_u]America[/name_u] - Obviously being the name of an entire country has quite a lot of history to it.
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - The meaning of this name is resurrection, which I like to think of as a metaphor for facing challenges and being defeated but still persevering and being determined not to give up. The history behind this name is the most fascinating to me personally as a big lover of Russian history. I was always captivated by the story of [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] Romanov and how she was never found. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] haunting.
[name_f]Angelica[/name_f] - A personal favourite. This name has some very interesting historical ties that are worth looking into! A lot of very interesting women have bared this name throughout history.
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f] - This name has a connection to greek mythology as the greek goddess of wisdom and war. The goddess [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is often linked to traits such as courage, inspiration and strength which seem to go with determination. It’s also a royal name.
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] - This name is one of my favourites because of it’s beautiful sophistication. It’s a very old name so it has a lot of history behind it. It was [name_m]Julius[/name_m] Ceaser’s mothers name and has also been the name to some very interesting historical people.
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] - This is the scientific term for the northen lights. It also has a mythology connection being the roman goddess of the dawn.

I love [name_f]Alethia[/name_f] (although I’m partial to [name_f]Alethea[/name_f] and [name_f]Aletheia[/name_f] spellings instead).

[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Altalune[/name_f]
[name_f]Alena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]
[name_f]Athalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Astera[/name_f]

Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far! I agree I do like the mythological names [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f], though my concern was that they’d come up too much. [name_f]Athalia[/name_f], [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] are also very beautiful, and I like how they sound neither overused nor unusual. [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is amazing too–it’s a pity it’s so common now.

2-syllable: [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f]
3-syllable: [name_f]Allegra[/name_f], [name_f]Acacia[/name_f], [name_f]Agnessa[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
4-syllable: [name_f]Acadia[/name_f], [name_f]Adelphia[/name_f], [name_f]Adelia[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Antonia[/name_f], [name_f]Antonella[/name_f]

I knew an [name_f]Alethia[/name_f] when I was younger. It is lispy but manageable. I personally prefer some of the other options I’ve suggested here - these may not be your style, but I would love to meet an [name_f]Agnessa[/name_f], [name_f]Acacia[/name_f], [name_f]Antonia[/name_f], or [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] (despite the medicine!).
I also know an [name_f]Antonella[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], and multiple Annas.
Good luck choosing your new name :slight_smile: