changing name

I have a one month old daughter who I named [name]Malena[/name] [name]Skye[/name] just before leaving the hospital with her. I stressed over a name for her the whole time in the hospital and now I’m stressing again. I have 4 boys [name]Jalen[/name] [name]Timothy[/name], [name]Devin[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Isaiah[/name], and [name]London[/name] [name]Elijah[/name]. They have unisex first names and biblical middle names. After saying my daughter’s name and hearing other people say it I’m still unsure about it. I’m thinking of changing it to [name]Melina[/name] or [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Raquel[/name]. What do everyone think? Open to other suggestions. Really need help on this before I loose it. Thanks a lot.

Congratulations on your daughter and sorry you’re having such a difficult time with her name. If you’re tempted to change it to [name]Melina[/name] to clarify the pronunciation, I’m not sure that’s going to work. I’m assuming because of the change you’re contemplating that you want to pronounce the name mah-LEEN-ah, but the [name]Melina[/name] spelling might lead people to say melon-ah or mah-[name]LINE[/name] (to rhyme with wine)-ah.

The plus side of changing the spelling is that you’re not REALLY changing her name and it’s a small change that other people will easily adjust to…I just worry that it won’t accomplish your goal.

I’m not crazy about the [name]Morgan[/name] alternative, either. It’s a great companion to your boys’ names BUT it’s so compatible in terms of its gender i.d. that it’s either going to make her sound like one of the boys or make the boys’ names seem more girlish.

I do think you need to set your daughter’s name apart from her brothers’ names by giving her a name that’s distinctly feminine. I’m not sure whether you want to go all the way back to the drawing board, but if so, now’s the time to do it. I’m sure the other berries can give you excellent advice and great ideas…even if in the end you decide to stick with [name]Malena[/name].

Completely agree with [name]Pam[/name]. The name is beautiful and I think it would be one thing if you already had boys and girls with unisex names, but the feminine name sets little [name]Malena[/name] apart from her big brothers!

I would change it to [name]Morgan[/name] purely because melena (or melaena in [name]England[/name]) is black “tarry” faeces (poo) that occurs when someone has been bleeding into their GI tract. [name]Melena[/name] is pronounced mah-leen-nah which I believe is the same as or very similar to the pronunciation of [name]Melina[/name] or [name]Malena[/name], hence why I wouldn’t use it as a name. [name]Melena[/name] is not pleasant.

Although I doubt that anyone outside of the medical profession would know what melena is, it might cause problems if your daughter ever wanted to do anything medical so I would change it to [name]Morgan[/name].

Good luck xxx