Changing son’s name- your reaction

If you’re completely sure you want to change his name and everyone else you know are okay with it, then go for it! I don’t think it’s a big deal what it might “sound like” to other people. I feel like it’s an easy thing to explain: You really regretted his first name, so you changed it. Nothing weird about that at all in my opinion!

1 Like

A few weeks in, I truly wouldn’t bat an eyelid!

I too know a couple of families who have done similar. One had accidentally named their daughter something with negative connotations for a family member, the other I think just had a change of heart a couple of months in. I think the earlier the better, but anytime up until 9 months or so I really wouldn’t judge or even think too much of it.

It’s only once the child starts recognising and responding to their name that things start to get a bit more complex for me, because at that point I feel the name is part of their own personal identity. But kids are very adaptive, and at the age your son is this won’t be an issue for him in the slightest.

Congratulations on his safe arrival and good luck!

5 Likes

Thank you :heart:

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :purple_heart:

1 Like

If the child doesn’t recognise their name yet, I think it’s totally fine!

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine. He’s still super young. I know people who didn’t have any names at all until they were like a week or 2 weeks old.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think anything of it! Especially since some people don’t choose a name at all until a week or two into the baby’s life, changing at 3 weeks seems almost normal. If you and your partner are on board, and people who interact with your baby regularly know about the change, go for it! If it will make you happier, do it and don’t look back!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your thoughts

I absolutely wouldn’t think a thing about it, but I also changed one of my son’s middle names (at 11 months! Much worse than 3 weeks :wink:) so it doesn’t seem strange to me. I am still so absolutely happy that I did, his name brings me such joy, and I would feel glad for you that you went ahead and made the change if that’s what felt right to you for him. Much better to change it than to always have it in the back of your mind that you wish his name was something different.

Also, congratulations on your sweet little one! :white_heart:

I changed my middle child’s middle name at 4 weeks old because her dad didn’t like the name I had chosen. He wanted to name her after me instead. I changed my 3rd child’s middle name name over a year after she was born. That’s a long story, but no one had anything negative to say about it. 3 weeks is nothing! Go for it. Name regret is a terrible thing to live with!

1 Like

At that age I really don’t think it’s a big deal
Unless you’re a celebrity who has already made a world wide announcement…. And even then it gets done and accepted and moved on with.

At that age they really don’t know their name and neither does the majority of people. Heck I don’t even think I had my kids birth announcements made or mailed by that point.

Now if 6 months or a year goes by and you still haven’t changed it that’s when it starts to become another situation entirely imo.

Thank you for sharing your story :heart:

1 Like