Changing up the signature AGAIN

My 2014 [name_m]New[/name_m] Years Resolution is going to be ‘to be less indecisive towards names’. [name_m]Lord[/name_m] help any future husband I have! Poor guy won’t be able to keep up with my favourites :wink: Anywho, regardless, I need some honest opinions towards the following names. The only one set in stone right now is [name_f]Maude[/name_f] :slight_smile: It’s the only one I haven’t been able to shake.

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]* ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my mum’s name, so this will definitely be a contender for a middle if it’s eliminated)
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (also a family name, so might make it to the middle spot if it’s eliminated)
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

*Forgot to add in [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]!

You have a beautiful list! My favourites are in bold.

Agnes - gorgeous, it’s a family name so maybe I’m slightly biased but I love it
Alethea - whilst I love Althea/Athena, this is off for me. I can’t not think Alicia, which I dislike. What about Athalia?
Alexandra - I’ve never liked this, I don’t know why. It’s just long and dull.
Alice - pretty, but it’s so popular in the UK it’s not incredibly special to me.
Augusta - I LOVE this so much.
Catherine - I have a particularly bad association with this, so I’m not a fan. I do love it’s nicknames though (Kitty - ahhk!)
Clarinda - never heard this before, but I like it.
Constance - Beautiful. I know the most gorgeous little girl called Constance which is why I fell in love with it (love Connie too)
Dorothea - I like it, but it’s a bit frilly for my tastes.
Dorothy - Again, I adore this because of one little girl I know (she’s actually Constance’s sister!) I love the literary connection as well.
Drusilla - I want to like this but it’s too witch-y.
Edith - Lovely, especially with nn Edie
Eleanor - So elegant and beautiful but like Alice, I’m a bit bored with it. In the UK it’s usually pronounced el-ah-nah, and rarely as el-ah-NOR, which I dislike for some reason too.
Elizabeth - Elizabeth is such a perfect name, which is why it’s been so popular for so long. It’s massive amount of nicknames keeps it fresh too. But I’m going to be honest, I don’t love it. It lacks a certain quality for me.
Eloise - I appreciate the French-ness of this, and in theory I should like it but I find it a little slimy.
Elsie - So sweet. It’s really trendy in the UK which puts me off, but it’s still lovely.
Eugenie - I think of the princess. Not a great connotation.
Florence - this is beautiful, with so many pretty nicknames (I know a Flo, a Florry and a Flora)
Frances - This was never a huge favourite of mine, but I’ve grown to appreciate it because of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love’s daughter.
Gwendoline - it’s okay, I’ve never loved it. Aesthetically I prefer Gwendolen(e).
Helena - huh-lay-na or he-leh-na? Like Eleanor, Nameberry seems to say this differently to what I’ve heard! I like the second pn.
Imogen - I like this a lot, but I don’t love it like I used to. It’s perfect on your list though.
Ingrid - so beautifully Scandinavian. I feel it sticks out a bit from the rest, though.
Iris - Iris is a long-term favourite of mine, it’s gorgeous.
Isadora - this was one of my first favourite names so I think I’ll always appreciate it, but I’ve grown to dislike the -dora ending.
Margaret - this is a super important family name for me as well, so again I’m biased. I think it’s a beautiful and massively underused name, with a huge array of nicknames. The only thing that puts me off it that when I do get round to having children, I think it will get very popular very suddenly, in the UK at least, which is a shame.
Philippa - Pippa is a huge favourite of mine, and I know girls who’ve made me like Philippa, but I’m not a huge fan.
Rosalind - I was thinking only yesterday how sweet and magical Rosalind is, but I usually ignore it since I don’t usually like Rose- names. It’s grown on my very quickly, I love it.
Rosamund - another one I usually ignore; the -mund part sounds sort of vulgar to me.
Violet - This is lovely, but I prefer Viola for it’s literary heritage (Twelfth Night is my favourite play, and the one I’m named after).

Philomena - there is a new, very successful Steve Coogan film out called Philomena which I automatically thought of. It’s okay. I can’t not think of Philadelphia Cheese though. Mena is cute. What about Pomeline?

1 Like

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - Generally a little stuffy, but the right whimsical child could brighten it up. I love the nn Ness.
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f] - Pretty, I like nn [name_f]Thea[/name_f].
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - Doesn’t feel as special as some of the other names here.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - A classic favorite of mine!
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]. I’ve always liked the combo [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f].
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - A strong, regal name.
[name_f]Clarinda[/name_f] - Not familiar with this one. Sounds like a mashup of [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], or a [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character.
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] - Never quite liked the whiny “cahn” sound that the first syllable produces. I also tend to dislike nn [name_u]Connie[/name_u].
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] - A little dotty.
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - I don’t think this name will ever outlive its blue gingham, ruby shoes image.
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] - I know it’s not letter-for-letter, but I can’t help but picture [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]'s ugly stepsister.
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - Not my style, but nice.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - Queenly and beautiful.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - Another classic favorite of mine. It’s a family name for me as well.
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - I love this spunky [name_m]French[/name_m] name.
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] - Adorable, but [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] feels more substantial.
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] - Not my favorite, sorry.
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - Elegant and gorgeous.
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] - [name_m]Stuffy[/name_m]. Dislike nn [name_u]Frankie[/name_u].
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f].
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] - Nice.
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - Nice, not my style.
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - Ruined by association.
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - Gorgeous flower and name.
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - The name is cute, but [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] met a tragic end.
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - feels a little secretarial to me.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] - nn [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] is cute.
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] - sounds like an old British woman from the countryside.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - One of my favorite of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s ladies.
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] - I was crushed when I learned this was pronounced roh-zuh-[name_f]MOON[/name_f]-duh.
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - One letter of from violent.

Some great names on your list. My impressions are as follows:

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - Beautiful, simple & timeless.
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f] - a bit too frilly…
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - Strong but a bit 80s…
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - Timeless, classic & magical…
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - Strong, stoic & beautiful…
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - Timeless but a bit too ‘safe’…prefer [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]…
[name_f]Clarinda[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Clorinda[/name_f]…but [name_f]Clarinda[/name_f] is sprightly too…
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] - Classic but not cool enough to be vintage yet
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] - One of [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]'s mean step-sisters…no…
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - Mmmm, okay I guess…
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - Not into this name…
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]* ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my mum’s name, so this will definitely be a contender for a middle if it’s eliminated). I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] this name…it’s just quintessentially feminine, historical & regal…
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - and [name_f]Heloise[/name_f]- both great medieval names…[name_f]LOVE[/name_f] THEM!
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] - maybe for a pony?
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] - The pinnacle of bad taste for a female name IMHO…
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - SUBLIME, but I also love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] + The Machine & [name_f]Italy[/name_f] (plus the reference to flowers)…a very pretty & elegant name.
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] - A bit dowdy…
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] - No comment…
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] - Okay…
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - ditto…
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - GORGEOUS!!!
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (also a family name, so might make it to the middle spot if it’s eliminated): nice, but I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f]/ [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]/ [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] etc
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] - Great sassy name…and love the reference to horses…
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] - Boring…
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - [name_u]Ever[/name_u] so charming & pretty…
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] - STUNNING!!!
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - One of my favorites, so very, very lovely…

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - too old lady-ish
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f] - reminds me of leaves
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - hm, sort of boring.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - sweet, but simple
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - I like this, but it reminds me of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop - the fat kid in [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and the Chocolate Factory
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - I prefer with a K
[name_f]Clarinda[/name_f] - Never heard of this, but reminds me of [name_f]Linda[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] - neither of which I like
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] - this is nice, especially for a middle name.
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]! So pretty!
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - [name_f]Love[/name_f] this too!
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] - Um, no. Sounds totally evil.
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - Really nice. Similar feel to [name_f]Alice[/name_f], but less popular. (plus, has adorable nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f])
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - I like this one too
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]* ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my mum’s name, so this will definitely be a contender for a middle if it’s eliminated) - A good, solid name, especially for the middle place
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - I like this one a lot.
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] - Sounds too much like a nn. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]?
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] - Pretty, but screams french.
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f].
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] - hm, I had a neighbour who was a super old woman named this, so that’s all I can think of when I see the name.
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] - don’t love the name, but the nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] would be sweet.
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] - One of those names that I wonder how anyone can love but I totally see how it’s likeable.
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - SO pretty! Have you considered [name_f]Imogene[/name_f]? (I prefer [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], but [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] is really nice!)
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - With all the flower names, this one will come back too.
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - it’s ok.
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - really pretty!
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (also a family name, so might make it to the middle spot if it’s eliminated) - Great for the middle spot.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] - Cute! I love all the nn options too!
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] - It has the word “mean” in it, but that’s the only down side.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - hm, NMS.
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] - better than [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f].
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - LOVEEEE! Favourite of all the names mentioned here!

All great names.

Conservative:
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

More adventuresome:
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Most adventuresome:
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Clarinda[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]

1 Like