Changing your legal name after marriage

This IS about names, but it’s about MY name.

I recently got married, and thanks to the pandemic, haven’t been able to change my name legally yet.

Those of you who have changed your name, did you keep your given middle name as your legal middle name or did you change your middle name legally to your maiden name, and why?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

I’m not married, but have you considered keeping your birth name and just adding your partner’s last name?
I personally can’t see myself eliminating any part of my birth name.

6 Likes

Hey, thanks! :slight_smile: I have considered it, but I am just worried that that would make things complicated when filling out forms?

1 Like

First of all, congratulations!!!

I think my mother legally changed her name because this is how she always gets documents with her full name: [name_u]Maria[/name_u] M@gdalena (Maiden Name) (Last Name). So her maiden name is her second middle.

2 Likes

I’m not sure because in my country a lot of people have 4 or more names (I have 4).
But, I think nowadays the number of parents who are giving their kids double middle names or two last names is increasing in [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking countries. So I believe you will not have many problems with it.

2 Likes

I kept my original last name as a second middle name because I didn’t want to completely give it up. I would have hyphenated if both names weren’t both long and clashed a bit. In the last 4 years since I changed it I personally haven’t had any issues having two middle names!

1 Like

My mother has a double last name with her maiden name and my father’s name, and she actually has a bizarre amount of trouble with it appearing correctly on forms! Normally one of the names somehow gets left off. Having maiden name your second middle or changing your middle name to it might be simpler if you want to keep it.

1 Like

I changed my last name but kept my middle the same. Never considered doing anything else and have never regretted the decision. I’ve known a handful of women who took their husband’s last name but switched their middle names out for their maiden names. In all of those cases, the women disliked their middle names to begin with and were more attached to their maiden names, so I think it was a fairly easy decision for them.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I love my maiden name but I also love my middle name and am very attached to that I think more. I just do feel kinda sad losing my maiden name, but I guess my identity is more as First Name Middle Name and I am happy to take on DH’s family name. If I didn’t think it would be annoying to have two middle names in my country I might just keep both

I took my husband’s last name, and ousted my maiden name. Never thought twice about it.

2 Likes

Not married, just wanted to join the conversation!
For some reason, I’ve always felt very strongly that I would keep my middle name, and replace my current surname with his. I have no idea why this is, but it’s just what I’d feel most comfortable with! Everyone’s different, though! [name_f]Do[/name_f] what you want, it’s your name!

2 Likes

That’s honestly how I’ve always felt, too, but now that the time comes to do it, I find myself more reluctant than I expected, lol. Oh well, I will probably just keep my “real” middle name as my middle name and change my last name. Seems simplest and most true to my style. I just wondered if there were any benefits to having the maiden name still in the legal name.

2 Likes

When I was younger I always thought I would give up my maiden name and take my husband’s. But I got married at 32 and by then I was very attached to my family name. We’ve been married two years now and I never changed it. I meant to hyphenate it though. Maybe I still will at some point. It does bother me a little to have a different last name than my kids but I refuse to give up my family name completely now. I understand adding a name when you gain a new family but the thought losing one just makes me sad. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Congrats!! I just got married too and am going through the exact same process right now and it’s taking forever. I’m keeping my middle and just ditching my maiden name. It is a last name that has been teased, nothing I couldn’t chuckle at too, but I’m more than okay losing it.

2 Likes

I kept my given middle. I know a woman that kept her maiden name as her middle, but only because she didn’t have a middle. While it is of course your choice, I don’t think you should eliminate your birth middle, unless you really hate it.

1 Like

I never changed any of my names legally (because I’m lazy), but I use my husband’s last name so much that it registers online as an alias. :male_detective:t2:‍♀ When my passport expires, I will probably just tack his name on the end. I’ve had my name my whole life and I don’t want to get rid of any of it. Also my maiden name is way more interesting.

1 Like

I’ve never really wanted to keep my last name. I’ve always thought of it as just a name (and it’d sound ridiculous as a second middle). Maybe if your maiden name is usable as a first name you could give it to a future child? Seems unnecessarily complicated to change your name imo.

2 Likes

This one is tricky for me!

I love my maiden name and don’t especially like my fiancé’s surname but I wish I did! We’ve talked about him taking mine or making our own up but I think he’s quite attached to his surname even though it’s not very flattering.

So I think I will either keep my name as it is or put my maiden name in the middle spot and take his surname. I wish I was more decisive about it! If he had a cool name I would take it no question cause even though I love my name it’s a bit frilly. I’d really appreciate something solid like [name_m]Jones[/name_m] or [name_u]Blake[/name_u] :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I didn’t want to lose my surname so when we got married I gave my husband two options- either we both hyphenate our last names together and both have the double barrelled surname or I just keep my own, he keeps his own and future kids will get the double barrel hyphenated surname.

He didn’t want to change his name so we’ve both still got our own surnames. He’s not that happy about the hyphenated surname baby will have- he thinks double barrel sounds stuck up- but I want my baby to have the same name as me as well as my husband so that’s non negotiable :joy:

1 Like

Hmmm, I’ve never thought about it. [name_f]My[/name_f] last name is an odd one and I do like it but I’m just not sure if I would keep it if I was getting married. I do have a few brothers so there’s no pressure about trying to keep the name going; but I think I would have a double middle just to keep it if I had to.
Also I once met a lady that had a interesting surname and she really loved it even though she took her husbands last name. Instead of just getting rid of it she gave her maiden name to the first son she had and it really fit him. So that might be something to consider, that you might be able to give it to one of your kids if your last name would work.:blush:

1 Like