Channing

I’m sure you guys must think I am all over the place with names, but I’d just like to ask you guys for your thoughts on one more name, I promise :slight_smile:

[name]Channing[/name].

I recently saw this name on a post about unisex names hot for boys but dated for girls, and I felt an instant connection! But, it has raised a few concerning questions for me. [name]Feel[/name] free to answer as many of these questions as you like or just give your general opinions.

1. With potential brothers named [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Louis[/name], or [name]August[/name], is [name]Channing[/name] too feminine?
  2. If I told you I had four kids named [name]Ingrid[/name], Esm”, [name]Donovan[/name], and [name]Channing[/name], what would your gut reaction to the set be and would you assume [name]Channing[/name] was male or female?
  3. Is [name]Channing[/name] way too far off from my other favorite boys names or my daughters’ names? (I’m not sure how much of a factor this is for me, but I’m still curious to see what you guys think).

Thanks so much in advance!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]
  1. With potential brothers named [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Louis[/name], or [name]August[/name], is [name]Channing[/name] too feminine? No- and i say this because the only [name]Channing[/name] i have ever know of is [name]Channing[/name] [name]Tatum[/name]; a very masculine actor. And i dont think it sounds feminine either.

2. If I told you I had four kids named [name]Ingrid[/name], Esm”, [name]Donovan[/name], and [name]Channing[/name], what would your gut reaction to the set be and would you assume [name]Channing[/name] was male or female? [name]Male[/name], i honestly cannot imagine a girl named [name]Channing[/name]

3. Is [name]Channing[/name] way too far off from my other favorite boys names or my daughters’ names? (I’m not sure how much of a factor this is for me, but I’m still curious to see what you guys think). Well it seems like your like me, you like one type of girls names; but not the same type of boys names. Your girls and boys names tend to sound diffrent when put next to the other sex but are in the same place when with the same gender. So to me, the only way [name]Channing[/name] wouldnt match would be with [name]Ingrid[/name]. Bur [name]Ingrid[/name] matches enough with [name]Esme[/name], which maches well with both [name]Channing[/name] and [name]Donovan[/name] that i dont see it as a problem. They tie together well in my opinion.

All in all, i like [name]Channing[/name] with your other names. Very Handsome! And very masculine sounding! Im not quite sure why i would have ben on the threwad you were talking about; i dont think i could ever see it as a girls name. Very odd to me. But thats just me :slight_smile:

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Thanks so much for your response!

You nailed me down exactly: my girl style is fairly consistent with feminine, yet not overly frilly, classic yet not overdone names. My boys are all over the place! I love [name]Donovan[/name] and [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Louis[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]August/name and [name]Julius[/name]! Then I have [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Gunther[/name], [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Lachlan[/name]! And now [name]Channing[/name] has come along. I cannot seem to clearly focus on one kind of style even though I think my boys names fit together despite their differences…but as you mentioned, maybe this isn’t a problem if the girls names and some of the boys names help mesh all of the names together?

[name]Glad[/name] you see [name]Channing[/name] as masculine and handsome, since I certainly do! I mentioned the name to one of my brothers, and he mentioned that there’s a female [name]Channing[/name] at his work…I have never personally met a female [name]Channing[/name] nor a male [name]Channing[/name], so I’m not really sure how popular it is for either sex.

Thanks again :smiley:

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

[name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Esme[/name] seem so sophisticated and worldly to me. [name]Channing[/name] falls short of their very high standard, I’m afraid. It just seems a very trendy and lightweight departure from your girls’ elegant names.

Here are my two cents. Basically, I really like the name but I’m not sure I love it with your sib sets.

1. With potential brothers named [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Louis[/name], or [name]August[/name], is [name]Channing[/name] too feminine? - I’m not sure that it’s too feminine, but it certainly seems less masculine than the others.

2. If I told you I had four kids named [name]Ingrid[/name], Esm”, [name]Donovan[/name], and [name]Channing[/name], what would your gut reaction to the set be and would you assume [name]Channing[/name] was male or female? - Honestly, I would probably be a little confused, maybe a good solution would be a more masculine nickname for him?

3. Is [name]Channing[/name] way too far off from my other favorite boys names or my daughters’ names? (I’m not sure how much of a factor this is for me, but I’m still curious to see what you guys think). - I think it is a bit off from [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Esme[/name], as all of your other boy names go better with those two than [name]Channing[/name] does. Personally if Ingid and [name]Esme[/name] are set, then I prefer [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]August[/name] and [name]Louis[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Thanks babyhansolo and phoebesmom for you thoughts! I think you guys are right: [name]Channing[/name] is a little more on the trendy, maybe “softer” side of male names compared with names like [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Donovan[/name], and being trendy, it might not fit perfectly with Esm” and [name]Ingrid[/name]. I think I’m going to keep it on my list (since I’m not pregnant yet and still have plenty of time to think about my names), and re-consider it once a baby’s actually coming. Thanks again!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]