Character name: Roxanna or Rosalind

[name]Hi[/name] Berries! I’m brainstorming a fantasy book, and the plot is a little fuzzy so far, but its called “[name]Red[/name]”. [name]Red[/name] being the color of blood/death (well, death is black, but still) and love, both of which are themes. The male protagonist is name [name]Reid[/name], so there’s an obvious red connection there, but I wanted something more subtle for the female protagonist (so no [name]Scarlet[/name] or [name]Ruby[/name])
I was looking up red names and came upon [name]Rosalind[/name], which means “red dragon”. I also like the name [name]Roxanna[/name], which had no red connection, but feels right for the character. Should I disregard meaning, since no one is going to know what [name]Rosalind[/name] mean’s anyway? Which name sounds better for a sweet and intelligent redhead (bet you saw that one coming) who falls in love against her better judgement?

I like [name]Rosalind[/name]. However with the male protagonist being [name]Reid[/name], would you want the lead female to be a name that begins with R?

Yeah, doubling up on letters can be tricky…

That aside, [name]Rosalind[/name] has the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection, but it sounds prettier. Could we have a bit more character info? Is she prissy, gentle, popular? [name]How[/name] old is she? What does she like? What doesn’t she like? Other than hair color, what does she look like? I like [name]Rosalind[/name] better, but be aware that it’s the name of a character in [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s play [dang, I forget the title…]. And she runs away from the duke’s palace and pretends to be a man. (And that covers my knowledge of the character of [name]Rosalind[/name])

Are you talking about the play As You Like It? I went to see it last year and I think the main character was named [name]Rosalind[/name]… and your description matches! :wink:

I like [name]Rosalind[/name] better! But that is probably because [name]Roxanna[/name] reminds me of a doll they used to announce on TV that was real sized… and I didn’t like it.
Btw, I like your red idea! :smiley: