Character Names from Children's Stories

I’ve got a pretty poor memory, so I’d love help making a list of characters from books by [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], fairy tales, and more that you remember from your own childhood or classics you read to your children now. Please specify the book and author if you can.

Please, NO [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] characters because those have a thread of their own!

Fun!
~[name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] books~
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] ([name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and Beezus)
Beezus ([name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and Beezus)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]([name_m]Henry[/name_m] and Beezus)
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m] (The mouse and the motorcycle)
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] ([name_f]Ellen[/name_f] Tebbits)
[name_f]Austine[/name_f] ([name_f]Ellen[/name_f] Tebbits)

Roald Dahl
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f])
[name_u]Danny[/name_u] ([name_u]Danny[/name_u] the champion of the world)
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (the BFG)

I might add more later…

2 Likes

Roald Dahl: [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f]) [name_u]George[/name_u] ([name_u]George[/name_u]’s Marvelous Medicine, [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (The BFG), [name_u]James[/name_u] ([name_u]James[/name_u] and the Giant [name_f]Peach[/name_f]), [name_u]Danny[/name_u] ([name_u]Danny[/name_u] the Champion of the World), [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Veruca[/name_f], [name_m]Mike[/name_m], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Willy[/name_m], [name_m]Joe[/name_m] ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and the Chocolate Factory) , [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] (The Witches)…

I may come back later and add other authors!

1 Like

Kevin Henkes:
Chrysanthemum, Victoria, Rita, Jo (Chrysanthemum)
Chester, Wilson (Chester’s Way)
Julius (Julius, Baby of the World)
Lilly (Several)
Owen (Owen)
Penny (Several)
Rose (Penny and her Sled)
Sheila Rae, Louise (Sheila Rae the Brave)
Wendel, Sophie (A Weekend with Wendel)
Wemberly, Jewel, Petal (Wemberly Worries)

2 Likes

Laura Ingalls [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] books:
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_m]Almanzo[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

Junie/ [name_u]June[/name_u] ([name_f]Junie[/name_f] B [name_m]Jones[/name_m])
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (sisters Grimm)
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Annie[/name_f] ([name_u]Magic[/name_u] Tree house)
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (Tales of a fourth grade nothing)
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] ([name_u]Magic[/name_u] school bus)
Arietty (borrowers)

2 Likes

Would you like the names of all the characters, or just the characters who have proper names (like peter, mary, etc)

Beatrix [name_m]Potter[/name_m]:
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit (The Tale of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit)
[name_m]Tommy[/name_m] Brock (The Tale of Mr [name_m]Tod[/name_m])
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] Fisher (The Tale or Mr [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] [name_m]Fisher[/name_m])
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] PaddleDuck (The Tale of [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] Paddleduck)
[name_m]Tom[/name_m] Kitten (The Tale of [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Kitten)
[name_m]Diggory[/name_m] Diggory Delvet (Appley Dapply’s Nursery Rhymes)
[name_m]Timmy[/name_m] Tiptoes (The Tale of [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] Tiptoes)
[name_m]Tod[/name_m] (The Tale of Mr [name_m]Tod[/name_m])
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] Bunny (The Tale of [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_f]Bunny[/name_f])
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] Twitchit (Appears in many books)
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] Parsley ([name_f]Cecily[/name_f] Parsley’s Nursery Rhymes)
[name_m]Johnny[/name_m] Townmouse (The Tale of [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] Townmouse)
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Whiskers (The Tale of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Whiskers or The Roly-Poly Pudding)

Other characters: Mopsy, Flopsy, Cottontail, Ms Moppet, Mrs Tittlemouse, Squirrel Nutkin, Mrs [name_f]Tiggy[/name_f]-Winkle, Mr [name_m]Mcgregor[/name_m], [name_f]Lady[/name_f] Mouse, Gentleman Mouse, Miss Moppet

The [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Garden
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] Lennox
[name_m]Colin[/name_m] Craven
Dickon Sowerby
[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] Craven
[name_f]Lilias[/name_f] Craven
[name_m]Ben[/name_m] Weatherstaff
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] Sowerby
[name_f]Martha[/name_f] Sowerby

I cannot for the life of me think of any other childrens books I would read (except for [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl, but thats an expansive list, I’ll have to comeback!) [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps though!

2 Likes

Watched [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ([name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl) this morning and came here to add [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] to the list as I haven’t seen these yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are some really great suggestions here! Thanks so much to those who have contributed and I hope we can keep this thread going :smile: