characters and children

i have sort of made it a policy that i will never use a character name for a child… do you have this rule, too? like, i’m writing a short story with a character named [name]Evie[/name], and i think it’s a lovely name, but i think that if i had a kid called [name]Evie[/name], i would always think of the character?

of course, i am writing a novel about a man named the same name as my boyfriend, but i started it before i met him…

I saw this and started laughing to myself— I have the same feeling!
Mostly because no character is an angel-child. [name]Every[/name] character ( at least I think) needs to have flaws, etc. (no parent wants to remember their characters flaws when they look at their baby!) I try to use names I love, but would never actually USE. I’m working on a story where the main character is a girl names [name]Ezra[/name]. It sounds strange, but it suits her well. On the other hand, outside of the fantasy, [name]Ezra[/name] would be looked at strangely as a girls name.
Boyfriends are definitely different :wink: Especially if his name is something “normal.”

Yeah!!! Exactly!! I have a character named [name]Halia[/name] (Huh-lee-uh)
and I would never use that name for my child. I save some names for my chidren and don’t use them in stories. Yeah I agree, I use names I love, but don’t really want for my children.
Haha that’s coincidental with the boyfriend thing (:

I think I know what you mean. Quite a few of the male characters in the story I’m writing have names that have “gone girl,” otherwise known as “names I will never be bold enough to give my son.” Like I have guys named [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Kelly[/name], and [name]Shannon[/name]. One of my main characters is [name]Sidney[/name] and his brother is [name]Morgan[/name]. I’m actually having a lot of fun with it.