Charles and Charlotte?

I just realized that I have both [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] on my list. Are they too similar? I would call [name]Charles[/name] [name]Charlie[/name] and I don’t think [name]Charlotte[/name] would need a NN. I am usually mindful to keep same gender names from being too similar but I have never paid much attention to opposite gender names. Too me both names sound very different but I worry that others might perceive them as too similar or matchy matchy.

They’re awfully similar for siblings in my opinion–both classic names that share the same first 5 letters, even if [name]Charles[/name] goes by [name]Charlie[/name]. If you’d planned for [name]Charlotte[/name] to go by a nickname, that might help a bit, but I still think they’re too close.

Isn’t [name]Charlotte[/name] the feminine version of [name]Charles[/name]?

I agree that they’re probably too close. [name]Charlotte[/name] is the feminine version of [name]Charles[/name], and I’m sure there will be some that try and call [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Charlie[/name], especially since you don’t have a nn you’d plan on using from the get-go. If you used something like [name]Lottie[/name] or [name]Lola[/name] occasionally, I think that would help.

I think they are too close. My aunt’s name is [name]Charlotte[/name], and we call her [name]Charlie[/name]. People might get confused.

I personally wouldn’t do it. They’re just too close. I like both names, though. :slight_smile:

Too close. Someday she might meet a [name]Charlotte[/name] that goes by [name]Charlie[/name]… if that were me and my brother’s name was [name]Charlie[/name], I wouldn’t be too happy with my mom.

Are you expecting twins? If so, I think they’re too close.

I think they probably are a little too close. [name]Love[/name] them both, though!

[name]Charlotte[/name] would never go by [name]Charlie[/name]!! I cannot even fathom that! [name]Lola[/name] I guess is my favorite NN for [name]Charlotte[/name] but I love the name [name]Charlotte[/name] too much to shorten it, but I have been attached to [name]Charlie[/name] for a boy for as long as I can remember. I don’t know which to let go of.

They are not to similar. They have a completely different sound and feel. [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name] (traditional nn for [name]Charlotte[/name]) would be a cute sibset. I feel bad for any poor little [name]Charlotte[/name]'s who get called [name]Charlie[/name]!

Then keep them both! [name]Charlotte[/name] is such a beautiful name, it doesn’t need a nn.

If that were me, I’d pity the girl given a beautiful name, then called by a BOYS nickname.

I have to agree with what previous posters have said - they are too similar. While you wouldn’t call [name]Charlotte[/name] “charlie”, others definitely would…

I definately think they are too close, but both are great. So maybe you could choose one when you find out gender.

Yup, too close.

[name]Charlotte[/name] is the feminine form of [name]Charles[/name]. This would be like naming siblings [name]George[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Theodora[/name].

They are too close for siblings. [name]Charlotte[/name] is the feminine form of [name]Charles[/name], so I think it’d be a little odd haha!