Charles or Charley?

See the results of this poll: Which do you prefer?

Respondents: 25 (This poll is closed)

• Charley Darren Neil : 4 (16%)
  • Charles Darren Neil: 21 (84%)

I prefer using [name_m]Charles[/name_m] to just [name_u]Charley[/name_u].

I love the sound of [name_u]Charley[/name_u] [name_u]Darren[/name_u] [name_u]Neil[/name_u], but would prefer the traditional spelling of [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]

[name_u]Charley[/name_u] is being used ALL the time on little girls now and that is usually the feminine spelling. I actually prefer it over [name_m]Charles[/name_m] but absolutely, spell it [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

I would stick with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and call him [name_u]Charley[/name_u]. That way he has options and you get both names. :slight_smile: [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is quite handsome.

I love [name_m]Charles[/name_m] as well, I’m just worried about the flow. I forgot to mention it.

The last name is one syllable and rhymes with “Danes”. I feel like [name_m]Charles[/name_m] doesn’t flow well with it. It sounds a little awkward to me.

I prefer [name_m]Charles[/name_m] to [name_u]Charley[/name_u] but I much prefer [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] to either.

I chose [name_u]Charley[/name_u] because, while I like [name_m]Charles[/name_m] just as much, [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_u]Neil[/name_u] sounds very short, choppy and a tad awkward. Whereas [name_u]Charley[/name_u] [name_u]Neil[/name_u] is much more smooth flowing and elegant.

I have a ten-year-old who outgrew his nickname at 5, so I am very against nick-names as given-names. [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is lovely, and you can still call him [name_u]Charley[/name_u] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. He might keep it his whole life or he might decide in Kindergarten to go by [name_m]Charles[/name_m] (or even [name_m]Chuck[/name_m] or [name_u]Darren[/name_u] or [name_u]Neil[/name_u]).