Charley and Franky?

I met a [name]Charley[/name] today who absolutely loves her name, I thought it was her nn but it is her full name and she had heard of a little girl named [name]Franky[/name] full name not a nn.

What are your feelings about boyish names for girls and names that sound like nn’s?

I think they’re cute - have come across a few Dannis over the years particularly. But personally I prefer the girly longer names with the spunkier short names. [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name] are so pretty and professional, and I don’t think everyone suits a cuter nickname name. With the longer version, they always have the choice, so that’s the route I would follow personally. But on the other hand, if you want something spunky and distinctive, the short version could be the way to go.

I agree with Lamps on this, but there are occasions where you really don’t want to use the full name for some reason. We would have named our son [name]Annie[/name] had he been a girl because I really didn’t want to use [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] at the time; perhaps had I known about this site back then, I could have found another full name I liked to shorten to [name]Annie[/name]. (Funny, I haven’t considered [name]Annie[/name] this time around at all.)

I agree with the others- I think the longer, feminine sounding names are beautiful and can work well as an adult, but you can use the shorter nicknames and see if they stick. That way, at least your child has the option of what they would prefer to go by later later in life. I know this isn’t the same situation, but I went to school with an [name]Abby[/name] (I know- not a masculine name at all, but still a nickname) and she was called [name]Abigail[/name] a lot by adults. She constantly had to correct them, that [name]Abby[/name] was her given name, not just a nickname.

I love the name [name]Charley[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] for a girl. My favorite name that can achieve [name]Charlie[/name] as a nn is [name]Charlize[/name]. Of course this is the actress [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name]'s name so I’m not sure how “made up” it is. You can search for it for a fuller description. It is on the SSA baby name list at #905.

[name]Franky[/name] - well I’d prefer that nn to come from [name]Francesca[/name].

my friend who passed away last years name was [name]Charleigh[/name]…after her uncle
franchesca NN franki ?

[name]Charlize[/name] isn’t made up - it’s a common Afrikaans name in South [name]Africa[/name] (where I’m from originally). I think it’s on the SSA list now only because of [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name].

I greatly prefer the full names to these nicknames, and I’m not a fan of nicknames anyway, for the most part. I love the name [name]Charlotte[/name] and will likely use it for a future daughter (I had a doll named this when I was young!), but I really don’t plan on using a nickname. If I did, I think I’d almost prefer [name]Lottie[/name] to [name]Charlie[/name].

As for [name]Frankie[/name], the only little [name]Frankie[/name] I know gets her name from her full name, [name]Frances[/name].

I can personally advise on boy nns. My name is [name]Raquel[/name], but growing up I was called [name]Rocky[/name], by EVERYONE! I LOVED my nn - when I was little, I was also a little tomboy - so it really suited me. But as I got older I started prefering [name]Raquel[/name]. And now I really don’t like [name]Rocky[/name] at all. Many of my close friends call me by [name]Rocky[/name], but in the working world, I go by [name]Raquel[/name]. I know that [name]Rocky[/name] is more masculine than [name]Charly[/name] or [name]Franky[/name], but she might now want such a masculine name when she gets older. I think she should be given the choice. Name her the more feminine name, of the nn you prefer. Call her the nn, then she can have the choice when she gets older.