Charlie

[name]Just[/name] wondering what everyone’s opinions are on using [name]Charlie[/name] as a full name. Is it too nicknamey, or can it stand by itself? Or would you go for the traditional [name]Charles[/name] NN [name]Charlie[/name]?

[name]Charles[/name] is okay, but I really like [name]Charlie[/name]!

I love [name]Charlie[/name] as a full name! [name]Charles[/name] just sounds totally different to me!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Charlie[/name]! I have always thought it would be best to use [name]Charles[/name] with the NN [name]Charlie[/name] but now I am second guessing. I think children for the most part should be named what they are going to be called. If you aren’t keen on [name]Charles[/name] and you would never call him that, then I say go for [name]Charlie[/name]!

Well it’s been in the top 10 boys names in the UK for I don’t know how long so its worked fine here as a stand alone name, and many nicknames are just becoming the norm here including [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Archie[/name], followed by names such as [name]Ben[/name], [name]Sam[/name], [name]Tom[/name], [name]Tommy[/name], [name]Bobby[/name], [name]Billy[/name] etc.

I find [name]Charlie[/name] a little cutesy but I also don’t like the sound of [name]Charles[/name] at all so I guess I slightly prefer just [name]Charlie[/name].

[name]Charlie[/name] is one of the few names that I think is perfectly acceptable as a full name, without the longer version on the birth cert. I find it handsome, go for it!

I feel the same way as you, but I wouldn’t ever just use [name]Charlie[/name] on its own! I think [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] is lovely.

I like both forms, so I would put [name]Charles[/name] on the birth certificate and call him [name]Charlie[/name]. I know that lots of adults named [name]Charles[/name] go by [name]Charlie[/name], but it feels juvenile to me; I would want him to have the choice to use a more grown-up name. Of course, if [name]Charlie[/name] can be the nn for [name]Charles[/name], he could probably get away with going by [name]Charles[/name] if he were in a situation where he didn’t want to use [name]Charlie[/name].

I don’t think [name]Charlie[/name] stands on its own (despite it being in the top 10 here in the UK, and knowing several just Charlies). It seems like a name for a little boy, in my opinion, not a man. If I saw just ‘[name]Charlie[/name]’ on a resume, I might not take it as seriously as ‘[name]Charles[/name]’. I am very strict about these things, though, I even dislike [name]Jack[/name] as a standalone name!