Chester as middle name for a girl?

I think [name]Chester[/name] is not totally unworkable as a middle name for a girl–it has the surname feel, and the “chess” syllable is common to other girls’ names, both of which help–but I don’t think it blends well with [name]Magnolia[/name] at all; [name]Magnolia[/name] is so feminine and dainty. [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] is nice, but if you’d really like to use [name]Chester[/name], I think you should consider a less-frilly (but still unambiguously feminine) first name to go with it.

I was also considering using the middle name [name]James[/name], but the problem is that while that name IS associated with my Grandpa, it is also associated with more than one family member, while [name]Chester[/name] is not. [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]James[/name] sounds pretty to me, and I kind of like the balance of very feminine/masculine together…

Also considering adding another middle name inbetween? [name]Magnolia[/name] _______ [name]Chester[/name]

The other issue here is that I may not have another baby! We haven’t decided yet, but it’s possible that this is the one shot I will have to honor him in some way, and that’s important to me. :S Ugh, I’m so torn…

I am another person who thinks a middle name is a place where you have much more flexibility and honoring your grandpa in this one will be really nice and have a lot of meaning for your daughter too. Aside from maybe not having another baby, this is your first born? If so, then it’s a really nice honor to bestow too, right?

Yes, cka, she will be my first and possibly only!

A middle name is a great place to choose something unusual, quirky, non-traditional etc…so I would advise you to use [name]Chester[/name] to honour your grandfather if you want to. Middle names are usually only known by family and close friends and I’m sure they’ll know the special reason behind your choice. If today’s parents are picking [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Parker[/name] for their daughters FIRST NAMES, I see nothing wrong with [name]Chester[/name] in the middle spot. [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Chester[/name] is fine.

I still think [name]Chester[/name] is fine as a MN and agree a lot with what [name]Mischa[/name] says, but I think though that middle names often do come out at least at some point during a school lifetime so they are not totally private. I think though that if your child know why they have their names (first or middle name) and that there is meaning behind it, then that is always something positive to say.

I’m now reconsidering [name]Chester[/name] as Magnoila’s mn and just hoping that we will have a boy in the future!

Now I’m thinking about [name]Frances[/name] as a mn, another family member namesake. What about [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]? Too old sounding?

[name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is pretty and 1000 times better than [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Chester[/name].

If I were you, I would ask myself if my Grandfather was the type of man that would enjoy seeing the name [name]Chester[/name] on his Great Granddaughter or would he rather not be honored. If a name is used to honor I would seriously consider how the honored would feel about it.

VERY good point! He would probably be a little confused lol. He was a jolly guy and would probably just laugh, but he was definitely old-school and would probably prefer [name]Frances[/name] himself.

I still think it works, but [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely as well.

[name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is just gorgeous!

I think [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is a gorgeous name! [name]Frances[/name] is a family name for me too. :slight_smile:

I think it’s fine!

I honestly don’t see the big deal with [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Chester[/name] (it actually sounds cute to me), and I love the added family connection of [name]Chester[/name]. Most people here know that I’m the least one to like a boys’ name on a girl, but I love the family significance and since when is using a family surname/grandfather’s name in the MN spot so out-of-the-norm? I think it’s no worse than [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Harris[/name] SURNAME, [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]James[/name] SURNAME, etc. Besides, if [name]Magnolia[/name] is too girly for her she can always opt for a nn from her given name–that’s the beauty of the option you’ve chosen! She could be [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Mags[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Leigh[/name]/[name]Lee[/name], Ches, [name]Chessie[/name], Chessa, or even [name]Chester[/name] itself. It’s a great name.

Good luck!

[name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is very pretty!

It works! I love [name]Chester[/name] for either gender

[name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely!

[name]Just[/name] saw that you’re thinking about [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] instead. I agree with the others that it is a lovely option! I like the option of [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Chester[/name] still, but [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely, too.

Good luck!

[name]Chester[/name] as a mn on girl would be perfectly normal here in the South US. The use of family names is quite special and opens up the norms. She will more than likely love her name story enough to appreciate the different mn.

I think [name]Chester[/name] as a mn for a girl would be gorgeous- with the right fn. I think [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Chester[/name] is just a bit too much, and that’s coming from a pretty extreme namer myself. I don’t like [name]Francis[/name] either, but I never have. Best of luck!

Possibly out of left-field but I really like [name]Hester[/name] and [name]Esther[/name]/[name]Ester[/name] (both pronounced Ess-ter) as a feminine spin on [name]Chester[/name].

But [name]Frances[/name] is pretty too.