Childcare

Hey guys!

I’m wondering what you guys have done for your kiddos childcare and what you preferred. Center? Home center? [name_f]Nanny[/name_f]? Family (if possible)?

I currently work in Childcare so it’s really a no brainer but after finishing my humanities degree I’ve decided I will step down permanently as a teacher for the higher paying role of interpreting for Deaf students.

It’s a sad choice for me, though I’m sure I’d love it, but teachers are paid 28k a year here. In the most expensive state in the US. So, plans had to change with the way the economy is looking and now I have to think about childcare. :slight_smile:

I also work in Childcare and honestly I’ve found I’m very selective about what I’m comfortable placing my son in.

Laws where I live really only apply to registered childcare and home services and nannies do not have to be registered technically, so it makes me a bit nervous to even consider those :joy: Also as a child, I attended many home childcare settings and very few were positive for me, so I’ve been pretty put off by that concept between personal experience and case studies from school.

Waitlists for centres here can take 2+ years, so they say to apply for a spot as soon as your pregnancy test is positive - I’m currently waitlisted for 12 different centres, but only 5 take children under 18 months, so it could be interesting for me when the time comes to return to work (currently 30.5 weeks pregnant with #1).

2 Likes

Honestly prior to kids I was a nanny and Inworked in childcare and both solidified for me that Inwas meant to be a SAHM. There are definitely pros and cons to each option you listed. I think I would likely answer that question based on a specific who that is in each case and comparing

1 Like

Agree with the previous poster, pros and cons to all the options. Before becoming a parent, I assumed I would send my children to a center or even a in-home center (I had several come highly recommended) and this was my plan even when I was pregnant. The problem is that in my area, VERY few centers take infants. I was pregnant during the outbreak of COVID, when everything shut down so exploring/applying wasn’t an option. The biggest perk COVID had for me is still ongoing, when I went back to work from maternity leave I was able to continue working from home 2 days a week and my mother graciously agreed to babysit the other 3. This has been a huge blessing! However, I already worry that it won’t be an option when/if another comes along. I never dreamed that I would love this setup as much as I do, but it has been wonderful. I didn’t have to leave my baby quite as much and didn’t have to risk an infant with COVID and saved money! I’m sure we will do preschool once he gets a little older, but now have the option for half days or part time.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son went to a daycare center 4 days a week, and my now ex MIL looked after him one day a week. It was the best arrangement for us.

We planned on sending my second son (the first child with my husband) to a daycare center as well, but then COVID happened. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband now works from home 4 days a week, and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] and the twins stay with him. I work from home 2 days a week, including the one day my husband usually goes into the office. [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother, who lives with us, looks after the children if needed when he’s able to. We had enrolled [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] in a daycare center, and he went one day a week for a while (in between lockdowns), but because he isn’t used to it, it didn’t go well for him.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] son goes to nursery school for one half day and two full days a week. He gets funded childcare from the government, a total of 15hrs. He’s gone there since [name_f]Easter[/name_f] (he was 2 in February). I’m lucky because my older sister is his nursery teacher. It’s the common thing to do in the UK unless you need awkward hours and then those go to childminders.

1 Like

I worked as a nanny for over 10 years right before my baby was born. Since then I’ve been fortunate to only have to work from home, and my girlfriend is able to be a full time SAHM as well. If there was a reason I’d need consistent care for my kid(s) in the future I’d really prefer a nanny if possible, but the cost is of course a major con. I want to avoid daycares at all costs. I’ve personally never worked in one but just from interviews I’ve done and friends who’ve worked in them, they just don’t seem like the type of environment I’d want my kids in. But I also plan to homeschool my kids if at all possible, so keep in mind that’s the type of person I am and mindset I have.

1 Like