Childhood toys!

Today I went to my parents house to look through the attic for some of my old stuff for my daughter’s nursery because I think it would be nice to have some of mine and my fiancé’s [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] bears and the sorts in her room.

When I was little I had a love for soft toys and I have walked away with two bing bags full of just soft toys. And when I was little I would always get my mum to write the name of each bear on the label (clearly I was a name nerd even as a child) so I was reading them and here are some of my favourites:
A soft toy dog called [name_m]Bart[/name_m]
A white polar bear called [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
An assortment of teddies called [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f], [name_f]Emmie[/name_f], [name_f]Carla[/name_f], [name_m]Olaf[/name_m] (I was there before Frozen!), [name_m]Luka[/name_m], [name_m]Aldo[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Konrad[/name_m], Michaelangelo (I was a weird child!)

And then there was my main soft toy, a ginger cat called [name_m]Pascal[/name_m].

I like that I had a “weird” taste of names from the start and I just think it’s quite funny that even at such a young age I was coming out with these names. I do wonder if my parents suggested the names and I just went along with it.

So now it’s your turn, what were your childhood toys called? Whether that be dollies, soft toys or action men!

I have also always been fascinated with names. I have lots of stuffed animals and I definitely took advantage of my love for names! Anything new I heard was bound to be used on one.
I had a brown dog I wanted to name “[name_m]Busta[/name_m]” but my mom didn’t like that, haha. I guess it was supposed to be some variation of [name_m]Buster[/name_m]. So i called him plain old Brownie.

I also have

[name_m]Kenny[/name_m], a snow leopard
[name_f]Joy[/name_f], a giraffe. (Well HAD. :()
[name_f]Happy[/name_f], a dog.
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f], a brown rabbit.
Sparky, a purple wizard bear.
[name_u]Drew[/name_u], a purple bear that is not a wizard.
[name_u]Rylee[/name_u], a dog,
[name_f]Becky[/name_f], a panda. She was supposed to be a boy named [name_m]Beckett[/name_m], but I changed it. Who knows why.
Marshmallow, a white dog.
[name_f]Honey[/name_f], a horse.
[name_u]Abby[/name_u]-[name_f]Kate[/name_f], a purple dog.
[name_f]Fig[/name_f], a Guinea pig.
Cuddles, a grey and white cat.
Moo Moo, a brown cow.
[name_u]Jessie[/name_u], a cocker spaniel.
Sweetluck, a black cat.
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m], an orange cat.
Moneysworth, a frog. (What even was I thinking when I named it…)
Mistletoe and Hot Chocolate, two reindeer.

That’s just some of them.

Oh man, memories! I have a bunch put away for future kids, mostly books but some of the stuffies that I loved and weren’t loved to pieces :wink: The ones I have left are:

[name_u]Toby[/name_u]: a little black dog with movable limbs and we put a real collar on him
Keagle: it’s pronounced like “eagle” with a K, because it’s like a muppet bird in the shape of a K. My mom named this one.
Boots: a black cat with white boots, I slept with this every night for years
Stardust: a pink and white unicorn I got at a yard sale, also slept with this every night for years
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]: a stuffed basset hound dog

When I was younger, I think I had upwards of 100 stuffed toys! I now have it narrowed down to only a few that have so much sentimental value. I hope to pass them down to my children someday (if I have any).

[name_m]Digby[/name_m] - a giant grey dog who is actually older than me; passed down by my grandma. He is looking a bit worse for wear, but I still love him!

Big [name_m]Ted[/name_m] - a medium sized white teddy. He got his name because when I first got him, he was as big as me! (not very imaginative, I know!)

[name_u]Red[/name_u] [name_m]Ted[/name_m] - a small red teddy. I know, not very imaginative, again! I chewed his nose off and he’s a bit scraggly, but he was my first toy, given to me in the hospital when I was born, so he is very special.

Cadbury - a dark brown moose with puppet arms. I used to put my arms into his and give people “cadbury hugs!”. He also used to have a wife called Chocolate, lol!

[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - not actually a stuffed toy; he’s a cat doorstop made out of my grandma’s old sofa, but he’s always lived with my toys. He wears my school prefect badge, and makes sure they’re all behaving themselves!

[name_f]Santa[/name_f] - a knitted [name_f]Santa[/name_f] [name_m]Claus[/name_m] a dear friend of the family made for me for my first [name_u]Christmas[/name_u].

[name_m]Harry[/name_m] - a small bear I bought from a woman who was selling them to raise money for a charity close to my heart. He’s named after her son who suffers with the same condition as I did when I was younger.

I had soft toys called Rumble, [name_m]Monty[/name_m] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

What a great idea for a thread! I had several dolls, but only one I remember naming: [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. I got her around the time my little sister was born, and I was just so excited my sister was there, that I named my doll after her (clearly, I was very proud to have “named” my sister, too. My parents asked what name I would give my little sister, and we had been learning about the story of [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] for my lesson at church, so I naturally offered up [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]/[name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]. They named my sister [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], but I didn’t learn until two decades later that that was the only name that they’d been considering, and they had been considering it long before I suggested it. le sigh. Dreams crushed, lol).

Other than that, I had an assortment of stuffed animals, but I didn’t name them until I was about 12-13, and I named them after Bible characters, for some reason. I had a [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] the wolf, a two stuffed bunnies (one was pink!) named [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], a Mephibosheth, and who knows what else. [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m] (and [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]), and Mephibosheth are the only ones I remember anymore, lol.

I had/have (I still have all of mine as I live at home) hundreds, but the main ones with names:

[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] - probably my #1 favourite, a baby doll I bought for myself for my 8th birthday, for years, I literally could not sleep without [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] on my bed, and even at 19, I still have to have her nearby (which is incredibly embarrassing).

[name_u]Julie[/name_u] - My American Girl doll, I received [name_u]Julie[/name_u] (the 1970s historical doll) for my 12th birthday.

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] - a giant version of the cat from The Aristocats.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - another movie themed stuffed animal, I believe this one is from a [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] princess film?

[name_f]Ginny[/name_f] - a stuffed dinosaur I got when I was 4 or 5, I named it after my aunt, because she helped me find it.

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] - another stuffed dinosaur.

[name_u]Nick[/name_u] - a Build-a-[name_m]Bear[/name_m] dog that sings [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] Brothers songs, named after my favourite [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] Brother.

[name_f]Bridgette[/name_f] - a Build-a-[name_m]Bear[/name_m] cat, I had a thing for 8 Simple Rules as a kid.

[name_u]Abby[/name_u] - another Build-a-[name_m]Bear[/name_m].

Piggsley Piggington III {Piggy} - I was a creative 5 year old.

Snowbear - ok, maybe not that creative.

[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - I think he came with this name, but he’s a monkey.

I know there’s loads more, but that’s what I can think of off hand!

I actually didn’t name my toys, weirdly. I lived in my own little play world almost all the time without involving others, so I guess I didn’t feel the need to name my toys because I wasn’t communicating between my play world and the real world? [name_m]Ah[/name_m] I dunno. I did have imaginary friends though who I named;
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]

I had several American Girl dolls and loads of Barbies that I named. Some I remember:

[name_u]Jessie[/name_u] (g)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] and [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
Millery (I don’t know where this came from)
[name_m]Zack[/name_m]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]

[name_u]Kit[/name_u]: American girl doll
[name_f]Kristy[/name_f]: American girl doll, but one of those custom ones that don’t have names…I named her after [name_f]Kristy[/name_f] from [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Sitter’s Club
[name_u]Stacey[/name_u]/misc: my bitty baby doll. I changed her name countless times, but [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] is the main one I remember now
[name_u]Si[/name_u]: stuffed Siamese cat
Tuffy: a Beanie [name_u]Baby[/name_u] dog; I’m not sure if this was his real name, but I called him this bc I would take him with me to the hospital as a child, and he helped me be ‘tough’

Squeaky: stuffed mouse (duh). I loved this thing so much, that when I forgot him in a shopping cart as a child, my parents raced back and tracked him down

Bun-Bun: my all-time favorite toy! A stuffed bunny, given to me by my brother’s kindergarten or 1st grade teacher, when I was born. I think I named him when I got older. I still love this thing. I used to chew on his ears and over time, he got all thread-bare and old, but I stuffed him some more and have him set away in a special box. I found another, exact copy on Ebay, after several years of looking. So now that is with the original in my box.

[name_f]Bebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cloudy[/name_f]
Blackie
[name_f]Marine[/name_f] (girl)
[name_u]Bliss[/name_u]
Southern
Ghosty
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (cute doll with a yellow dress)
[name_f]September[/name_f]
[name_f]Bunnie[/name_f] and Coyote
Rila
Lagoona
[name_f]Raina[/name_f]
Dutchess
[name_u]Whitney[/name_u]
Berries
Cookie Crumble
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] ([name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket)
Overalls
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
Raggy Rabbit and Bunbun
Wolfy
[name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_f]Spring[/name_f] [name_m]Bear[/name_m]
Girlscout

I actually went into my room a couple times to remember some of these (I still have a lot of them) and I’m sure there’s loads more in my closet!!!

My dolls that I can remember are:
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

My stuffed animals: