Choose a Name

I thought of another combination I liked! I know people mentioned [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]–I like this, and I just wanted to put a good word in for the reverse, [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Eliza[/name], as well. There’s the slight ellision that happens when middle names beginning with vowels follow first names ending in consonant sounds, but it’s still a melodic combination for me. [name]Both[/name] names are three syllables, but because the accent is on a different syllable in either name, the names together have a fluid rhythm. Also, the spunk and wit of [name]Eliza[/name] (well, I don’t know if the name itself is witty, but I too think of Miss [name]Bennett[/name]) nicely balances the sophistication of [name]Genevieve[/name].

I pronounce [name]Clara[/name] [name]Claire[/name]-uh, like you, but I think there may be regional differences. I think the [name]German[/name] pronunciation is more like Clar (rhymes with car)-uh.

Did you ask about [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]? I do like it. It has that same rhythm I like (as above), and the sweet strength of [name]Amelia[/name] balances what I see as the somewhat cool elegance of [name]Caroline[/name].

Take care!

I love almost every single one of these names. If I HAD to pick… probably [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]. Here are some other lovely combos that jumped out at me:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]

Okay, one-by-one:
[name]Alice[/name] - such a classic, but I wouldn’t use it myself.
[name]Amelia[/name] - really like
[name]Caroline[/name] - love
[name]Cecily[/name] - not a huge fan, I prefer [name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] - really like
[name]Clara[/name] - love
[name]Eliza[/name] - I actually prefer my name, [name]Elizabeth[/name], although I’m called [name]Eliza[/name] for short sometimes. It is a lovely name.
[name]Emmeline[/name] - it’s okay
[name]Genevieve[/name] - like
[name]Jane[/name] - I really enjoy it’s simplicity, but I wouldn’t use it for a first myself.
[name]Lydia[/name] - not a huge fan of [name]Lydia[/name], I appreciate it though.
[name]Margaret[/name] - not a huge fan of [name]Margaret[/name], love [name]Maggie[/name] though.

This was so hard! I like a lot of these names :slight_smile: I picked before looking at other’s posts (edit: it’s weird that my top 2 have already been mentioned, everyone has such good taste!)

I could only pick a top 2, and I like them all quite equally.

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] (I say Clar-ah)
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]

Runner-up:
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

I’ve updated my list with my favorites, but it is still quite long. If I keep it this long, I won’t be able to remember it. So, I need your help. PLEASE, PICK YOUR FAVORITES, AND IF YOU WANT TO, TELL ME WHY A NAME (OR NAMES) IS YOUR PICK…

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]

[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Feel[/name] free to pick as many favorites as you like, whether you pick your favorite in each name or multiples. I’d like to narrow it to the top four if at all possible, because then I’ll have a convenient favorites list. Ha - I sound like a psycho name nerd!

Thank you, ladies :wink:

[name]EDIT[/name]: I’d like to see if I can add [name]Julia[/name] anywhere in here - suggestions? I’ve been working hard tonight - to no avail - to track down some family names online, past my grandparents’ generation. My maternal grandmother is [name]Irene[/name] [name]Marie[/name], her mother was [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], and her mother was [name]Anna[/name] [name]Weber[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like any of these names as potential middle names for my favorites? Oh, my mother’s middle name is also [name]Marie[/name], but I’m not a [name]Marie[/name] fan…

I’d personally go with [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], two of my all-time favorite combos which I’ve been planning to use. :slight_smile: (I love [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Jane[/name], too, but love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] more.)

[name]Genevieve[/name] is another one of my all-time favorites as a first name, but I didn’t give it first place, because I don’t think that any of the names on the list work as a middle for [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] are other favorites from the list, and [name]Clara[/name] has been growing on me a lot lately.

Take care! :slight_smile:

I’d personally go with [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], two of my all-time favorite combos which I’ve been planning to use. :slight_smile: (I love [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Jane[/name], too, but love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] more.)

[name]Genevieve[/name] is another one of my all-time favorites as a first name, but I didn’t give it first place, because I don’t think that any of the names on the list work as a middle for [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] are other favorites from the list, and [name]Clara[/name] has been growing on me a lot lately.

Take care! :-)[/quote]

Thank you, [name]Jill[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is growing on me! I had concerns about [name]Eliza[/name] as a first name, as I think pronunciation can be awkward, but I think it is elegant and sweet. :slight_smile:

sorry I picked so many,it’s so difficult to choose because the names are all so gorgeous!

[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - [name]Cecily[/name] is very high on my favourites list, I definitely prefer it over Cecila/ [name]Celia[/name]. I think it sounds more easy going, if a name can sound easy going! [name]Jane[/name] is just brilliant, I really hope it doesn’t get popular by the time I have children because I would love to use it, espcially as a middle.

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] - I love [name]Charlotte[/name] and all of it’s nicknames! [name]Amelia[/name] is so pretty, getting a little popular now but still so so pretty.

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] - [name]Clara[/name] is my very favourite name at the moment, I have the same views on it as I do for [name]Eliza[/name] and I think this is my favourite combination for [name]Clara[/name], it’s going on my list :slight_smile:

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] - I think if my name wasn’t [name]Elena[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] would be my favourite name ever, so lovely, friendly, not too frilly but still feminine at the same time. I think [name]Genevieve[/name] is stunning and as I prefer it with no nickname at all, I love it in the middle name spot. Yeah, definitely if I wasn’t an [name]Elena[/name], I would love name a child this.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] - I think the flow of this is so lovely, neither of the names are my favourites from your list, I don’t dislike them, in fact I really like them, but you have so many of my absolute favourites on this list. However, together I think they are beautiful and sophisticated.

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] - [name]Margaret[/name] is growing on me and I have always loved [name]Amelia[/name], do you have a planned nickname for [name]Margaret[/name]? Because I love [name]Maggie[/name].

My absolute favourite, if I had to pick would be [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], with [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] an extremely close runner up, sorry if this has been too long!

good luck! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oops! I missed this post…

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]: I love this, but I love some of the other names more than I do [name]Alice[/name].

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]: I love this, too, but love [name]Alice[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] more…

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]: I love [name]Caroline[/name], but [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] doesn’t flow well to me because I hear [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Melia[/name].

[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name]: I think this is beautiful!

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]: I really like this…

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]: I love this…

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]: I love it! It reminds me of one of my favorites, [name]Cora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]: I like both names, but they don’t flow well to me.

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]: I love both names, but not together, because both names have a long I sound.

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]: One of my all-time favorites, and even the name of a doll I named when I was little. I plan on using this on a daughter. :slight_smile:

[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]: I think it’s very pretty…

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name]!

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]: I love this, too…

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this, too…

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]: I think this is great…

Good luck with your list! :slight_smile:

Have you seen my posts? Well, obviously you have, but yours certainly isn’t too long. :wink: Thank you!

[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - I see what you mean with this being more “easy going” than, say, the frilly [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Celia[/name]. However, it definitely still seems dressed up to me. I’m not sure what nickname I would use, though, as Ceci isn’t my favorite, per se, and CJ is awful.

I really love both [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], which is a bit of a problem. I pronounce [name]Clara[/name] like “[name]CLAIRE[/name]-uh” and [name]Eliza[/name], well, I’m still trying to figure it out. I think it is almost like “ih-LIE-zuh,” if that is even possible. [name]May[/name] I ask how you pronounce the two names?

I’m glad that even though [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] aren’t your favorites, you think the combination is nice. I just love [name]Lydia[/name]! It sounds so friendly and feminine and sweet to me…

[name]Margaret[/name] would likely be [name]Maggie[/name], as the only reason it is on the list is because my mother wanted to name me [name]Maggie[/name]. If not [name]Maggie[/name], she would be [name]Meg[/name].

I really appreciate your posts!

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]!

I think I like other names better than [name]Alice[/name], too.

Thank you for pointing that out about [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]! I thought it was lovely until I said it a few times and heard [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Melia[/name]…

The big debate - which is better? [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]? [name]Both[/name] are quickly becoming two of my favorites. :-/

Which [name]Lydia[/name] do you like best? I think it is between [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], honestly, but [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] has always been my favorite.

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is growing on me!

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this! :slight_smile:

From your list of combinations, I like these best:

• [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
    — The “CL” sound is so classy sounding to me, and the ending A softens the name, so that it is strong, classy, and feminine.
    — [name]Genevieve[/name], with its G and V sounds is unique in a way that just appeals to me

• [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
    — [name]Lydia[/name] is so pretty. I like the role the D has, giving the name a solid feel, while the rest of the name around it is light and feminine.
    — [name]Charlotte[/name] is sophisticated and cute at the same time.
    — I just love the flow of these two names together!

A couple of your family names:

• [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (This is what my 11-yr. old daughter says she wants to name her daughter someday.)

• [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Irene[/name]

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]!

I think I like other names better than [name]Alice[/name], too.

Thank you for pointing that out about [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]! I thought it was lovely until I said it a few times and heard [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Melia[/name]…

The big debate - which is better? [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]? [name]Both[/name] are quickly becoming two of my favorites. :-/

Which [name]Lydia[/name] do you like best? I think it is between [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], honestly, but [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] has always been my favorite.

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is growing on me!

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this! :-)[/quote]

No problem! I love names, especially classic names. :slight_smile: With [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] VS [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], I think it depends on the last name and the other names you’d like to use. (Like, if you use [name]Cecily[/name], you may not want to use [name]Clara[/name] because you may not want to repeat letters…Also, it may just be me, but [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] sound matchier to me than [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] do.) I personally prefer [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], but it’s always been one of my favorites. (I do love [name]Clara[/name], though!) :slight_smile:

I love both [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Both[/name] sound very [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] to me, but [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] more than [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]. Hmm…I think it really depends on the last name. If I’m choosing between which name I love more, [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name], I’ll go with [name]Caroline[/name]. :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is great!

Take care!

My faves are:

[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] for twin girls!

I love [name]Genevieve[/name] as a first name but fear the nicknames [name]Gen[/name] or [name]Genny[/name], which would ruin it for me!

Thanks! I really like [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] together…

PS [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is adorable! Your daughter should totally go for it when she is older.

[name]Jill[/name],

Well, I don’t have the last name yet, or the man, or anything really…

Your advice is great. You make good points about each name, and I honestly think that [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] work better together, like you said, than [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name]. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Another vote for [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]! :slight_smile: This is exciting because it is a combination I wouldn’t have thought of!

I like your “twin” suggestion - wonder if THAT will happen? Ha!

Thank you…

Thanks! I think that [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] are amazing together! I wasn’t sure if the [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] thing was just me, but I know I’d personally get tongue-tied saying them together. Are [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] still in the mix? (I love [name]Julia[/name], too, by the way…Not with [name]Lydia[/name], though, but with the other names. If I weren’t a [name]Jill[/name], I’d use [name]Julia[/name] in a heartbeat!)

Take care! :slight_smile:

Have you seen my posts? Well, obviously you have, but yours certainly isn’t too long. :wink: Thank you!

[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - I see what you mean with this being more “easy going” than, say, the frilly [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Celia[/name]. However, it definitely still seems dressed up to me. I’m not sure what nickname I would use, though, as Ceci isn’t my favorite, per se, and CJ is awful.

I really love both [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], which is a bit of a problem. I pronounce [name]Clara[/name] like “[name]CLAIRE[/name]-uh” and [name]Eliza[/name], well, I’m still trying to figure it out. I think it is almost like “ih-LIE-zuh,” if that is even possible. [name]May[/name] I ask how you pronounce the two names?

I’m glad that even though [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] aren’t your favorites, you think the combination is nice. I just love [name]Lydia[/name]! It sounds so friendly and feminine and sweet to me…

[name]Margaret[/name] would likely be [name]Maggie[/name], as the only reason it is on the list is because my mother wanted to name me [name]Maggie[/name]. If not [name]Maggie[/name], she would be [name]Meg[/name].

I really appreciate your posts![/quote]

Well I’m English so I don’t know if my pronounciation really counts but I pronounce [name]Clara[/name], Clar-a and [name]Eliza[/name], eh-Lie-za

I love [name]Meg[/name] as a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] but I think I love [name]Maggie[/name] best.

Personally I don’t think [name]Cecily[/name] needs a nickname but I think it might if all your other children did. I think Cess is sort of cute, but thats really informal. I love it best on its own though.

I really can’t decide whether I like [name]Clara[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] best, I know it would be [name]Clara[/name] for me but that is only because of my name being too close to [name]Eliza[/name]. Maybe [name]Eliza[/name] edges it a bit, Yes, I think I like [name]Eliza[/name] best, but I really don’t think you can go wrong at all with any of your names! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think that [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] are amazing together! I wasn’t sure if the [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] thing was just me, but I know I’d personally get tongue-tied saying them together. Are [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] still in the mix? (I love [name]Julia[/name], too, by the way…Not with [name]Lydia[/name], though, but with the other names. If I weren’t a [name]Jill[/name], I’d use [name]Julia[/name] in a heartbeat!)

Take care! :-)[/quote]

No, it wasn’t just you. Yes, [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are still in the mix. I’m not sure if I love either of them, and [name]Emmeline[/name] seems to me to be a bit childish, but I like them enough to keep them in the mix, indeed! I do really like [name]Julia[/name] - I have a good friend named [name]Julia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] - but I don’t like how some people say JOO-lee-uh (like me) and others say something like [name]JOEL[/name]-ee-uh. Have you ever noticed that, or is it a regional thing?

[name]Elena[/name],

So, you say it like car-uh, but with an L? Okay…

I’m not a huge fan of nicknames, myself, and I probably wouldn’t use one for [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], or [name]Cecily[/name] on a regular basis, but I definitely would for [name]Margaret[/name]. See, I’m not overly fond of [name]Margaret[/name], but I like [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Meg[/name] - yet they seem incomplete to me as full names…

[name]Lauren[/name]