Choosing b/w Elaina, Brynn and Ada

My husband and I are expecting baby girl #2 in early [name]June[/name].

We are having some problems choosing a name. So far we have only agreed on 3 girl names. I like all of the names we have agreed on but I”m still just not sure. Before we found out we were having a girl we had chosen 2 boy names fairly easy ([name]Van[/name] or [name]Lincoln[/name]) however, once we found out we were going to have another little girl we were stuck.

We currently have a 3 year old daughter, [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name] (we call her [name]Liv[/name], [name]Livy[/name]). I now wish I would have listened to my gut (not my best friend) and named her [name]Livia[/name], just to be a little different. I think that is why I am having such a hard time with this little one”s name.

Her middle name is going to be [name]Marie[/name] after my husband”s grandmother (it is also my middle name). Our first daughter”s middle name ([name]Wren[/name]) was after my grandma so I thought it would only be fair to name the next one after his grandma (it seems to really mean something to my husband too so that is pretty much set).

We are open to other name suggestions and would love to hear your comments and thoughts on our picks so far.

[name]Elaina[/name] (I picked this name just a few weeks ago”we would prolly call her [name]Laney[/name])

[name]Brynn[/name] (my husband choose this name several months ago and seems to really be stuck on it but I am just not sure [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Marie[/name] goes”.? I have been trying to find a more formal name for [name]Brynn[/name] that would go better with [name]Marie[/name] and then we could just call her [name]Brynn[/name] ?)

[name]Ada[/name] (this was a name that we talked about for our first daughter, it was also my great grandma”s name however, it seems a little heavy for a little girl)

[name]Hi[/name] and congratulations :slight_smile: I am totally biased in this situation, as [name]Ada[/name] is one of my favorite girl names. I don’t think it’s heavy at all, just sweet. [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] are very cute together. And I definitely think [name]Ada[/name] [name]Marie[/name] works! [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Elaina[/name] are a bit too close to one another in my opinion, although [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Marie[/name] does work as well. Of the three, [name]Brynn[/name] is my least favorite. I don’t think it works very well with [name]Olivia[/name], they seem very different stylistically. And for some reason [name]Brynn[/name] sounds a little dated to me, maybe because it’s so close to all of the Brees/Bries/Briannas I know.

A few other names you might like
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I love [name]Ada[/name] [name]Marie[/name]. It is simple and beautiful.

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name])
[name]Blythe[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

… Ill keep thinking!

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is so beautiful, I love it!

[name]Elaina[/name]- as someone else said, this is a little matchy. But I certainly don’t think it’s too matchy to use. I really like [name]Elaina[/name] with [name]Olivia[/name], they both feel very current, but classic. [name]Livie[/name] and [name]Laney[/name] would be adorable!

[name]Brynn[/name]- I really don’t like this one, sorry. But even if I did, I don’t think it works with [name]Oliva[/name] at all.

[name]Ada[/name]- I like [name]Ada[/name], and I think it works well with [name]Olivia[/name]. I don’t think it’s too heavy. For me it makes [name]Olivia[/name] feel more old-fashioned, whereas [name]Elaina[/name] makes her sound more current. Think about the reasons you picked [name]Olivia[/name] (or why you would have picked [name]Livia[/name]) and see how you feel.

What do you think of [name]Amelia[/name]? I guess it’s a little matchy, but I think it’s perfect with [name]Olivia[/name]. It strikes the balance of old-fashioned and modern. Lots of nicknames, too. [name]Mia[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Mel[/name], [name]Millie[/name], and that’s just off the top of my head.

I love [name]Amelia[/name]!
[name]Ada[/name] and [name]Elaina[/name] are pretty. Have you thought about [name]Elaine[/name]? It is a lovely name with the nn [name]Lainie[/name]. I also love the Greek [name]Eleni[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Lainie[/name]. [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Eleni[/name], [name]Helen[/name], and [name]Eleanor[/name] are all basically the same name, and they all mean light. So pretty!
I personally don’t like [name]Brynn[/name], but I do love [name]Brenna[/name] and [name]Briony[/name]. [name]Brenna[/name] might be a bit dated though. Also love [name]Bridget[/name]. I tend to love more the more feminine names. I’m not sure why. But if you really love [name]Brynn[/name], use it. I do love [name]Paige[/name], but as a middle name. [name]Brynn[/name] would make a lovely middle name for [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Brynn[/name].

I’m here to stick up for [name]Brynn[/name]! I think that’s it’s an all around cool name–it’s spunky thanks to it’s being one syllable but still quite sophisticated. I think that [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Marie[/name] could work just depending on how it goes with your last name.
Also there’s a really nice song by Vampire Weekend called [name]Bryn[/name] (one N though). Here’s a link to it:

I particularly like the refrain of:
Oh [name]Bryn[/name], you see through the dark
Right past the fireflies that sleep in my heart
You know its easy to see
Wait for the season to come back to me

I think that [name]Ada[/name] is a little bit stodgy, especially with the classic [name]Marie[/name]. [name]Brynn[/name] and [name]Marie[/name] are a mix of modern and classic. I like [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Marie[/name] quite a bit but worry about daughters [name]Livy[/name] and [name]Laney[/name].

Good luck and Congratulations!

I like [name]Ada[/name] [name]Marie[/name] with [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name]

[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Georgie[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]

I love all your choices - [name]Elaina[/name], [name]Brynn[/name], and [name]Ada[/name] … and I love [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name].

I think [name]Lainey[/name] and Livey are too similar for my tastes, but I can see how it would be cute, so if you like it, go for it!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Brynn[/name] … I do think it would sound better with an -a sound to go with [name]Marie[/name] … like [name]Brynna[/name] [name]Marie[/name]?? But I might have just made up a name :frowning: OR, maybe you could try [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Maria[/name] depending on your last name.

And I don’t think [name]Ada[/name] is stodgy at all … especially if you call her [name]Addie[/name] when she is little. And Livey and [name]Addie[/name] is very cute together.

Good luck!

I love all your choices - [name]Elaina[/name], [name]Brynn[/name], and [name]Ada[/name] … and I love [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name].

I think [name]Lainey[/name] and Livey are too similar for my tastes, but I can see how it would be cute, so if you like it, go for it!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Brynn[/name] … I do think it would sound better with an -a sound to go with [name]Marie[/name] … like [name]Brynna[/name] [name]Marie[/name]?? But I might have just made up a name :frowning: OR, maybe you could try [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Maria[/name] depending on your last name.

And I don’t think [name]Ada[/name] is stodgy at all … especially if you call her [name]Addie[/name] when she is little. And Livey and [name]Addie[/name] is very cute together.

Good luck!

[name]Elaina[/name] (I picked this name just a few weeks ago”we would prolly call her [name]Laney[/name])–love this! Maybe could do [name]Elinor[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or something along those lines if [name]Elaina[/name] isn’t grabbing you.

[name]Brynn[/name]–like this name but I agree that it may be too similar to [name]Brianna[/name]/[name]Bri[/name] trend that is going on. I say this because you seemed disappointed in choosing [name]Olivia[/name] instead of [name]Livia[/name].

[name]Ada[/name] (this was a name that we talked about for our first daughter, it was also my great grandma”s name however, it seems a little heavy for a little girl)–Great name! Especially with [name]Marie[/name]. Other suggestions:

[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (maybe too many A’s and E’s going on though)
[name]Delia[/name]/[name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (I’m biased! My daughters name is [name]Beatrice[/name])

Good luck!

[name]Elaina[/name] (I picked this name just a few weeks ago”we would prolly call her [name]Laney[/name]): I do like [name]Elaina[/name], but as others have mentioned, it does give [name]Olivia[/name] a more current feel, which sounds like sounds like something you’re trying to avoid.

[name]Brynn[/name]: I’m not a fan of [name]Brynn[/name], and it also makes [name]Olivia[/name] feel pretty trendy.

[name]Ada[/name] (this was a name that we talked about for our first daughter, it was also my great grandma”s name however, it seems a little heavy for a little girl): I love [name]Ada[/name], and don’t think it’s heavy at all. Considering you wish you would have named [name]Olivia[/name] “[name]Livia[/name],” [name]Ada[/name] should be right up your alley. [name]Ada[/name] is lovely, and gives [name]Olivia[/name] an old-time feel. I think [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] is perfect! :slight_smile:

If you’re still not sold on the above names:

[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maire[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Diana[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

Best wishes to you!

I love [name]Ada[/name] [name]Marie[/name] with [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name]! Beautiful!

One other you might like that no one has mentioned is [name]Elsa[/name].

I really like [name]Brynn[/name]! And I love [name]Elaina[/name]. [name]Brynn[/name] is really sweet and just a little different, and [name]Elaina[/name] is sophisticated. Good luck!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU…to everyone that has given us their thoughts and suggestions. It is really appreciated” My husband and I have talked about some of the names that have been suggested.
I really like [name]Adeline[/name] (but this is my best friend”s girl name, if she ever has a girl so I don”t want to rock that boat!)

We have also talked about [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Adelyn[/name]”my husband thinks that [name]Adelyn[/name] is to close to my cousin”s daughters name [name]Madelyn[/name] and thinks it will cause to many problems (we have a really close family) but he did say he like [name]Adelaide[/name] so we might add it to the list?

He keeps asking me why I am still searching for names when we have a list and I should just choose from that”.but I just haven”t gotten excited about any of the girl names that I have found”I like the ones that we have but it seemed to be a lot different with our first daughter. I had a dream early on and I knew I wanted to name her [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wren[/name] (or [name]Liv[/name], [name]Livia[/name]) but this time it seems different.

I [name]LOVE[/name] our boy names but just can”t get excited about any girl names”.and this is a problem because we are having a GIRL!..has anyone else ever had this problem and if so what did you do?

I am also considering [name]Brynn[/name] and am having a difficult time finding a middle name to go with. [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is lovely I think. All your first name picks go well with [name]Marie[/name]. It’s difficult-the more opinions you hear the harder it is I think. Ask yourself-which name would you want as your own?

I would use [name]Sabrina[/name] as the more formal name with [name]Brynn[/name] as a nickname. [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is lovely and goes beautifully with [name]Olivia[/name].

Another possibility is to use [name]Evangeline[/name], as [name]Jill[/name] suggested, [name]Giovanna[/name], or [name]Vanessa[/name] and call her [name]Vanna[/name] or [name]Vangie[/name] or [name]Van[/name]. But you wouldn’t be able to use [name]Van[/name] for a future boy.

My daughter thought of the name Lenka as a name that is close to [name]Lincoln[/name]. It’s the name of a singer. Again, you wouldn’t be able to use [name]Lincoln[/name].

I hope this helps, and I hope that you discover a name that you both love as much as [name]Olivia[/name].