Choosing between two names

Ok, we have four weeks until the due date and are waffling between names. With our first son we were absoultely certain months in advance that he would be [name]Theodore[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name]). Now baby boy number two is almost here and we simply cannot decide between two names.
[name]Augustus[/name] [name]James[/name] (nn [name]Gus[/name])
or
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Francis[/name] or [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Hollis[/name]

Votes? I know [name]Sam[/name] is much more popular than [name]Gus[/name], but is [name]Augustus[/name] over the top? Our last name is hard for many people to pronounce (Eastern European) and so we want the option of a very easy to understand nickname. Which one sounds better as a sibling for [name]Teddy[/name]? We have more middle name options with [name]Sam[/name] because it is shorter than [name]Augustus[/name]. We’ve been stuck on these two names since the beginning and just can’t seem to decide!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] nn [name]Sam[/name]! For me, [name]Hollis[/name] is a girls’ name.
Also love [name]August[/name], but I don’t really like [name]Gus[/name] that much. However, many Nameberry fans love the name [name]Gus[/name], so maybe I am biased. I think perhaps there was a slightly unpleasant little boy named [name]Gus[/name] is my elementary school, but I’m not sure.

Although I think [name]Augustus[/name] is very handsome, [name]Gus[/name] has a bit of an “old man” feel to me and I can’t picture it on a baby.

On the other hand, the nickname [name]Sam[/name] is cute and fun for when baby is young, and [name]Samuel[/name] is very handsome for when baby is all grown up :slight_smile:

My vote is for [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Francis[/name].

I’m going to vote for [name]Augustus[/name] [name]James[/name]. If you’re worried about it being too out there, what about [name]Augustin[/name]? It’s a bit less formal without the -us ending (at least to me!). I really like [name]Gus[/name] as a nickname ([name]Augie[/name], too).

I really like [name]Samuel[/name], too, but it’s just too popular for me. Like [name]Susan[/name] said, [name]Hollis[/name] is a girls’ name to me.

I think [name]Samuel[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] are both great names, so its comes down to personal taste and how original you want to be.

If you’re worried about [name]Augustus[/name], what about [name]Samuel[/name] [name]August[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Samuel[/name] [name]August[/name], but our last name starts with a P. I don’t like the idea of him having the initials SAP!

I still can’t decide. There is something cuter about little [name]Sammy[/name] than [name]Gus[/name] (because [name]Gussie[/name] is just not a cute nn) and then he could be [name]Samuel[/name] when he is older…but I love that our older son is one of the few boys named [name]Teddy[/name] that I have come across and fear there will be 10 Sams in every kindergarten class. I have a common first name and it never bothered me, but now that we are naming our boys I somehow want something more unique. Sigh. Maybe when I look at the baby the choice will become clear?

Also, last question: is it weird for a baby born in [name]July[/name] to have the name [name]August[/name]? That was why I was drawn to [name]Augustus[/name] rather than [name]August[/name]. Does that matter?