Christmas gift ideas/clothing sizes

I have two questions I’m going to cram into one thread. My daughter will be 6 months old at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. Folks are already asking for gift ideas, does she need anything, etc.

First question:
My daughter is on the small size. She’s about 12 lbs and 23 inches at 4 months. She’s also fitting easily into 0-3 month clothing, and 3-6 month clothing is fairly large on her (it’s wearable…but if I put her in a onesie like that she’ll need the sleeves rolled up and a lot of her chest is exposed, so definitely too big). She didn’t grow out of her newborn sized clothing until 3 months old.

Family keeps buying her 6-9 and 9-12 month clothing for the winter, but I think it’s all going to be too big! I know babies have weird growth spurts, but is there a way to guess what size she’ll be in the winter? I want to tell people to buy her smaller 3-6 and 6-9 clothing, but don’t want it to be too small.

Second question:
Anything awesome you’d recommend as a gift for my 6 month old? What toys/items did your baby [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] at that age? Anything you found very useful?

So far we said a high chair and lightweight umbrella stroller.

I think you are safe to ask for smaller clothes. At that age my babies liked stacking rings especially the musical ones. Also bath books and soft books are becoming more interesting to them. On the practical side, a bath seat (like a ring with leg holes they sit in) becomes nice at that age so they can sit with assistance in the full tub. Also all of my babies have adored their activity center starting around 5 months.

I think you could make an amazon wishlist or something like a registry. You could also ask for stuff that doesn’t have such specific sizing, like babylegs leg warmers, which I loved, socks & hats. You could add some feeding stuff like Fresh Food Feeders mesh teething things, Tommee Tippy bibs ect that will come in handy once you start with solids. You could always start a little early on building a library for baby and ask for books.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] remember, you could always return anything you receive that’s too large!

I don’t think it’s possible to predict how big a baby will be at a specific point. They really do have bizarrely timed growth spurts.

Our favorite thing to ask for from grandparents has been memberships to children’s museums, zoos, that kind of thing. Books are great for smaller gifts.

OMG you want an exersaucer. Azula was 6 months last [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and my parents got her an exersaucer, and it is seriously the best thing ever. You can plunk her in there when you need to shower, mop the floor, cook dinner, whatever. She can turn her body, practice standing up with the support there in case she wobbles. There are things on there to keep her entertained for a while, once she’s eating finger foods you can pop her in there for a snack… I seriously can’t say enough about these things.

As for clothes - just ask for smaller stuff, and hope people will include gift receipts just in case. Or ask for things like stroller blankets, bath toys, socks, warm hats & mittens… Azula has always been small, she is 15 months now and still wearing loads of her 9 month clothes. I think at 6 months she was easily still in lots of her 0-3 month stuff. And she hasn’t had any sudden growth spurts thus far.

Id say ask for smaller but at the same time if they get bigger it will fit at some point just ask if its bigger to keep in mind weather flux. In your area. My daughter is about 6 months now. She sits so well yet can tumble if distracted. She loves her stacking rings shell be about 8 months for cmas &I wanna get her a big activity cube but I thi k shed like that alit right now too. She enjoys board books & her wipes bag. It seems like shes content just sitting there talking to ya so im curious what other toys are also recomended :slight_smile:

I’m thinking about asking for stuff like them paying for baby music class or mommy and me swimming classes or stuff. For a baby, things like zoos and museums aren’t really appropriate gifts [name_f]IMO[/name_f] (more for the parents), but I’m sure some classes might be fun.

I don’t know- our children’s museum has lots of great baby play areas. My son was definitely really enjoying that by six months, and since the membership is a year long, we’ve gotten loads of use out of it. And it’s great to meet up with other moms there. It would depend on the museum or zoo, though. It’s nice to have a place to go that we can play inside when the weather is too bad to go to the park.

Hmmm, we’re going to be six months in [name_u]January[/name_u] and are also on the small side, fitting nicely into 0-3/3 right now. I’m expecting her to be in 3-6/6 for the majority of the winter and need both cold weather and warm weather gear in 9 month sizes, but total guess. Ask for things that can always be layered and used regardless of the weather?

We’re asking for an exersaucer or jumperoo, still researching which one. I keep saving things on Amazon when I find something or get a recommendation: some cute fill-and-spill toys from [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_m]Doug[/name_m], a couple things from the [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] [name_m]Price[/name_m] Laugh and Learn (tea set, mailbox), and bunches of books. Going to be checking back for ideas on here too! :slight_smile: