Christmas time birth- should it be avoided if possible?

Ok, so I am a super planner and like many people who are excited about getting pregnant and having a little one, I have planned out almost every possible scenario in my head about when we are going to start ttc and what month that will give us for a birthday.
Now, I have been thinking that I don’t want to have a baby in [name_u]December[/name_u] to avoid the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] time rush. And also, one of my roommates in college was born in late [name_u]December[/name_u] and she absolutely hated it. She complained every year that no one ever acknowledged her birthday and it not only ruined her birthday, but [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] too. And she even said she “hated” her mom for planning on having her in [name_u]December[/name_u] (yes, she was a drama queen). But still, I think she had a valid point. I know I wouldn’t really want my birthday clumped together with [name_u]Christmas[/name_u].

So my question to all you berries out there is: If I am able to have any control whatsoever (which I will a little bit because I will have to go off my birth control pills before ttc), do you think I should avoid getting pregnant in [name_f]April[/name_f], which would give me a [name_u]December[/name_u] birthday?

Does anyone have experience with a child with a [name_u]December[/name_u] birthday? [name_m]How[/name_m] does your child/someone you know feel about it? Is it a pain in the butt as a parent?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] trying to think of all the possible options before ttc…and this was something that I thought of. [name_m]Just[/name_m] want to see what other people’s experiences are.

Thanks!!

My daughter and I are both early [name_u]January[/name_u]. Obviously my birthday wasn’t so awful that I went out of my way to avoid giving my daughter almost the same one. She was planned, but I didn’t give much thought to when her bday would fall. I think as long as you go out of your way to make the birthdays special your child will be fine with it. Unless she’s just looking for reasons to hate her parents!

I do wish she were a summer baby for the fun (and cheaper) outdoor parties, but the slip side of it is that I didn’t have to waddle around in the heat at 9 months pregnant: Pregnant in [name_f]April[/name_f] means you will just barely have popped a belly once it’s beach season, you will be obviously pregnant but still comfortable enough to have fun in costume on Halloween, you will be able to use your pregnancy as an excuse not to travel during the holidays & once baby is here you won’t mind being trapped indoors. You can even use the weather or flu season as an excuse to put off guests in those first few weeks. So for selfish reasons, [name_f]April[/name_f] is a great time to get pregnant :slight_smile:

My daughter and I are both early [name_u]January[/name_u]. Obviously my birthday wasn’t so awful that I went out of my way to avoid giving my daughter almost the same one. She was planned, but I didn’t give much thought to when her bday would fall. I think as long as you go out of your way to make the birthdays special your child will be fine with it. Unless she’s just looking for reasons to hate her parents!

I do wish she were a summer baby for the fun (and cheaper) outdoor parties, but the slip side of it is that I didn’t have to waddle around in the heat at 9 months pregnant: Pregnant in [name_f]April[/name_f] means you will just barely have popped a belly once it’s beach season, you will be obviously pregnant but still comfortable enough to have fun in costume on Halloween, you will be able to use your pregnancy as an excuse not to travel during the holidays & once baby is here you won’t mind being trapped indoors. You can even use the weather or flu season as an excuse to put off guests in those first few weeks. So for selfish reasons, [name_f]April[/name_f] is a great time to get pregnant :slight_smile:

My best friend was born on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and although it does kinda suck because she doesn’t get as much attention on her birthday, it’s still a cool fact about her. Usually she’ll get a couple extra presents from family members and we all (as in her friends) celebrate her birthday before hand. I remember it was annoying during high school though cause at our school your friends would come in early on the morning of your birthday and decorate your locker and she never got that cause we were always gone on break :confused:

all in all, I think you should just ttc whenever feels right and let the pieces fall where they may.

My husbands birthday is in the middle of [name_u]December[/name_u], he often shares stories of missing out on birthday gifts and waiting an extra week until [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. If you’re intent on planning your pregnancy this way, you may as we’ll try not to get pregnant in [name_f]April[/name_f]!

My birthday is a couple days before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and I’ve always loved it! For me, it just extends the excitement and fun times around the holiday. I never missed out on presents either, :slight_smile:
On another note, you can plan when you hope to fall pregnant, but it can still take months and months, or maybe only one try- you never really know :wink:

I have slight seasonal affective disorder & can get depressed being cooped up during the cold rainy months, so I figured although I wanted to have my babies close in age it was important to me NOT to have a winter baby (nothing [name_u]November[/name_u] through Feburary). But, we weren’t being careful & got pregnant in late [name_u]March[/name_u]. So my due date is [name_u]January[/name_u] 2nd (probably more like [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] since my first daughter came a couple weeks early & I’m expecting a similar scenario with this one). I’m thrilled my girls will be only 18 months apart, but definitely bummed out that we’re due in the winter.
Our first daughter was due mid [name_f]July[/name_f] & it was fabulous. I loved being pregnant in the [name_f]Summer[/name_f] cause I could just wear flowy sundresses & flipflops, I got to spend lots of time outside so I kept very active, and all the healthy foods (fruits, salads, fresh vegetables) were in season so it was easy to eat well through my pregnancy.
This time I’m already finding clothes restrictive, I’m worried about keeping up with all the stuff that needs to be done over the holidays, I’m finding excuses to stay inside in my pajamas for days at a time, and I am eating much worse (it’s comfort food season). I’m glad my husband will be taking some time off work when this baby is born because I’m pretty sure I might get some mean Post Partum Blues this time.

If I could do it over I would plan on getting pregnant any time between [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]January[/name_u].

I have slight seasonal affective disorder & can get depressed being cooped up during the cold rainy months, so I figured although I wanted to have my babies close in age it was important to me NOT to have a winter baby (nothing [name_u]November[/name_u] through Feburary). But, we weren’t being careful & got pregnant in late [name_u]March[/name_u]. So my due date is [name_u]January[/name_u] 2nd (probably more like [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] since my first daughter came a couple weeks early & I’m expecting a similar scenario with this one). I’m thrilled my girls will be only 18 months apart, but definitely bummed out that we’re due in the winter.
Our first daughter was due mid [name_f]July[/name_f] & it was fabulous. I loved being pregnant in the [name_f]Summer[/name_f] cause I could just wear flowy sundresses & flipflops, I got to spend lots of time outside so I kept very active, and all the healthy foods (fruits, salads, fresh vegetables) were in season so it was easy to eat well through my pregnancy.
This time I’m already finding clothes restrictive, I’m worried about keeping up with all the stuff that needs to be done over the holidays, I’m finding excuses to stay inside in my pajamas for days at a time, and I am eating much worse (it’s comfort food season). I’m glad my husband will be taking some time off work when this baby is born because I’m pretty sure I might get some mean Post Partum Blues this time.

If I could do it over I would plan on getting pregnant any time between [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]January[/name_u].

If you want to avoid a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, then use a condom in [name_f]April[/name_f]! Although babies have a tendency to arrive on their own schedule (i’m talking about birth here, not conception), so even if you conceived in [name_f]May[/name_f], baby could still come around [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] time anyway!

My partner’s birthday is in early [name_u]January[/name_u]. It has its pros and cons, with all the christmas celebrations and parties etc his birthday almost feels like an extension of that, so its almost like he gets a good week and a half of celebration. The downside is that, with everyone recovering from [name_m]New[/name_m] Years [name_f]Eve[/name_f], not many people feel like partying again on the 2nd!
We live in NZ, so christmas is over the summer, and school is out for 6ish weeks. He found that when he was younger, a lot of his friends would be on holiday at that time, and couldn’t come to his birthday parties :frowning:

If you want to avoid a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, then use a condom in [name_f]April[/name_f]! Although babies have a tendency to arrive on their own schedule (i’m talking about birth here, not conception), so even if you conceived in [name_f]May[/name_f], baby could still come around [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] time anyway!

My partner’s birthday is in early [name_u]January[/name_u]. It has its pros and cons, with all the christmas celebrations and parties etc his birthday almost feels like an extension of that, so its almost like he gets a good week and a half of celebration. The downside is that, with everyone recovering from [name_m]New[/name_m] Years [name_f]Eve[/name_f], not many people feel like partying again on the 2nd!
We live in NZ, so christmas is over the summer, and school is out for 6ish weeks. He found that when he was younger, a lot of his friends would be on holiday at that time, and couldn’t come to his birthday parties :frowning:

We have 4 kids with [name_u]December[/name_u] birthdays (our 4 youngest) - While they are still too young to weigh in on how they feel about having birthdays in [name_u]December[/name_u] … I can say for our family, it does not matter. Our family doesn’t place alot of importance on elaborate birthday celebrations though. We definitely acknowledge them and have a party, but honestly, I would be upset if one of my girls told me she was made about not having people recognize her birthday just because it happened to fall near another major holiday. I don’t know if that came across too harshly or b-itchy or what, but it’s how I feel. Birthdays are what you make of it and if your family lumps it in with [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and you grow to resent it – or if your family teaches you that birthdays are ultra important and you are to get alot of stuff (parties, presents, etc.) for your birthday then I could see where you’d feel jipped… especially if you had close friends or siblings with non-[name_u]December[/name_u] birthdays and they got all those things and you didn’t!

On the other hand, if you have a child with a [name_u]December[/name_u] birthday and you a little sensitive to the fact that things ARE going to get lumped together with other holidays or you might not have time to plan a big party-- you can work around that. For example, you can make your own traditions of birthday gift giving or a special birthday dinner that goes “against” the holidays – plan something summery or non-christmasy for the evening…make sure you don’t wrap presents in green and red, etc. Avoid putting up the christmas tree until the day after the birthday (or hey…even the day OF the birthday… it could be a tradition.) Also, you could have a 1/2 birthday party for your child in the summer where they could do those summery birthday party ideas if you wanted. Probably tacky to ask your guests to bring gifts to that party, but who cares right? An opportunity to each your child to appreciate people/companionship more than gifts. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a few ideas.

One of my best friends growing up was born on the 24th of [name_u]December[/name_u], which is the day [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] is celebrated in Norway (where she’s from). They celebrated her birthday in the morning with a few presents, but the real celebration with the party and the whole extended family and friends was celebrated on her half birthday. Her parents were amazing at it, the parties were always amazing and they made sure it wasn’t a pushed celebration, it would say 4 1/2 (or whatever age) on her birthday crown, the cake, we’d sing it in the song (we all looked forward to her birthdays and were almost a bit jealous!). They made sure it was a real treat, something fun and worth waiting for. She still does it this way, and the parties are still fabulous!

My extended family has 3 kids (all cousins to each other) with birthdays around [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] (each within a few days on either side), and they all hate it. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad if there weren’t three of them! Their friends are never in town, so they can never really have a birthday party unless they do it well before or after but even then, they’re fighting the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] party schedule. They’re all still kids, so they highlight the adverse effect it has on the presents they ( don’t) get. And along that line, it’s hard for parents, grandparents, etc because they all have so many obligations/expenses that time of year they can’t always do for their [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] kids what they’d like to or the equivalent of what they can do for those kids/grandchildren/etc born in other months.

I think if you’re going to possibly have a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby you will need to be willing to change your holiday schedule around.
My best friend has a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, and they celebrate [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and do her daughter’s birthday on her birthday, which I think is really cool.
I grew up with a kid whose parents did it the opposite way, and he did resent them for always pushing his birthday.

We started TTC in [name_f]April[/name_f] knowing if we got pregnant straight away, we’d wind up with a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby. I don’t think it’s so bad. But if it bothers you, maybe wait until [name_f]May[/name_f] to start trying? [name_f]Remember[/name_f], you might not get pregnant right away (the average amount of time couples spend TTC is seven months).

There is only so much you can do to plan/avoid when your child will be born.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] what’s best for you in terms of beginning to ttc, and keep in mind that you don’t know how long it will take to conceive, and if the baby will come early or late.

There is really only so much you can plan. One of my friends has a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] birthday and hated it growing up. His first child was due in late [name_u]January[/name_u], but she ended up coming a month early, on [name_u]December[/name_u] 24. Babies have a way of thwarting your plans, so even if you get pregnant in [name_f]May[/name_f], you never know.

If it really bugs you, you may want to wait a month to start TTC. We started this summer, and if we’re not pregnant by [name_f]April[/name_f], I wouldn’t care enough to put off trying for a month.

Having a birthday in [name_u]December[/name_u] isn’t all that bad but I’m sure it depends on the person and their situation. My birthday is five days after [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and I think the only problem I’ve had with it is that many people are on holidays at that time. So it is likely you have less people to celebrate it with.

Planning when to get pregnant is not always easy. We went thru years of infertility, surgeries and miscarriage. Now we are the most fertile people ever! But we’ve never gotten pregnant when we thought we would. Although I know the people who went off the pill and got pregnant the following month, it’s more common to struggle. It’s just not something people discuss much.

I do have one kid with a birthday right before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. We do his birthday about a week before. We also notify people of the party date early because schedules tend to fill up. I also know someone who son’s birthday is on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. She celebrates it in [name_u]June[/name_u] (his half birthday). We have special pics of my son in [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] hats that I love putting up at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. It was festive atmosphere at the hospital. However, it is prime cold and flu season. Our son got RSV and the flu at only a couple weeks and was in the hospital for a while.

I have two kids with end of [name_u]August[/name_u] birthdays. While it is nice to have outdoor birthday parties, they don’t ever get to celebrate at school. And, where I live, the age for school cut off is at the end of [name_u]August[/name_u]. So, we had to decide if our kids would be the youngest in their classes or we would hold a year. But it was nice to go outside in flip flops and take the babies for a walk in the weeks after giving birth.

I also have a [name_f]October[/name_f] birthday. I do really like that it’s after the school year cutoff but when I had her, the weather was starting to get colder so I couldn’t go outside too much.

I always thought that if I could have planned it, I would have had a [name_u]March[/name_u] baby. [name_m]Just[/name_m] starting to get warmer and can spend summer outside with new baby. Plus, we don’t have AC and I was always so hot being pregnant in the summer. I thought I could use a little extra heat in the winter. Finally, it wouldn’t put me too close to the school age cutoff - that’s an important one.

Ultimately, I’m just happy to have four precious babies, especially since we weren’t sure we could have any. So, don’t worry too much about it. [name_f]Every[/name_f] date will have a pro and a con.

One of my friends birthday is on Dec 27. He looks fine, no complaint at all. My mom’s is on Dec 23, no complaint/problem too. My ex-roommate’s is on Dec 31, and she did complaint. She said the environment is too crowded and noisy, with all fireworks and stuff.

Mine is on [name_u]June[/name_u] 29. I like it, but not crazy about it. I once thought that If I can choose my own birthday, my top choice will be [name_u]December[/name_u]. Around 12-21, I think. I know this is very contradictory to people with [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] birthday who celebrate in [name_u]June[/name_u]. It’s just I love having holiday birthday, but with other holidays in [name_u]December[/name_u], people tend to get together. [name_f]Every[/name_f] date has its own pros and cons, so please don’t over think it.