Chrysanthemum

I recently stumbled upon a memory of a childhood book I use to read called [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]! The story follows a little mice girl with the namesake who gets bullied at school for having an unusual name!

The reason I mention this is because often on Name [name_u]Berry[/name_u] parents tend to chose a safer name of feel nervous over the backlash they may receive over their name choice (even if it’s as normal as the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] :sweat_smile:), I recommend checking out the book as its lovely and sweet and a great way to remind ourselves that names are what we make them! (plus the kids will love it)

14 Likes

That book was also my childhood! It always makes me wish I had a unique name, but oh well. Also, another reason parents choose “safer” names is because in many circumstances, people with more unusual names won’t get called back for job interviews, since interviewers look at names as well. I don’t know why names have to matter for that, but they do for some reason. So for instance: Michael would get someone a job easier than Chrysanthemum would. Nothing wrong with having an unusual name, that’s just something that happens I guess.

5 Likes

:grin:
I loved this book so much!! [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] is a really pretty name!

1 Like

That book looks really sweet! I also like the name. I definitely understand both perspectives on unusual names; it’s really personal to the parents, I guess.

1 Like

I loved Chrysanthemum, and all [name_m]Kevin[/name_m] Henkes’ books, really. They are all very cute and touching. It is so true that a name is what we make it, and in all but a few cases, kids will grow into their name, even if it is half the alphabet.

2 Likes

I loved this name because of this book!

Chrysanthemum is my spirit animal/book character. :heart: [name_f]My[/name_f] first grade teacher read it to us and I remember thinking WOW names are so important and I felt my name, being very unique at the time, was so special. Absolutely perfect. This is such a great book. And I agree with @copper_porcupine that [name_m]Kevin[/name_m] Henkes is an amazing author!

3 Likes

I loved [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] when I was little!

1 Like

I loved that book!

@hyacinthbucket!! :grin:

1 Like

I saw this post last night and couldn’t comment right away because I was too pensive… :pensive:

Chrysanthemum was the name we chose for our firstborn boy had he been assigned female at birth. We won’t use it now. I still grieve it at times (like last night).

This book was such an influence on my early life. It was one of those checked-out-of-the-library-enough-times-that-my-parents-realized-it-must-have-been-important-so-they-finally-bought-a-copy books.

I absolutely believe names are what we make them. Ultimately, despite varying levels of dissent, the name just felt perfect for us.

I also love [name_f]Delphinium[/name_f]!

Chrysanthemum is the ultimate name-nerd name in the meta- way. But the gift [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] gave me is to care less what some may say about my name choices. I definitely still care about opinions and feedback and sibset flow and all that good stuff. But ultimately the name I choose for my last baby will be the name I want, regardless of people who may not find it wearable. It will be “perfect” in every way.

7 Likes

It is a gorgeous name! And I adored that book and the other books by that author growing up.

1 Like

It’s so funny that you posted this because I saw this book over the weekend and have been thinking about it a lot! I read the PDF and thought “I should use [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]” haha.
““Her name must be everything she is,” said her mother. “Her name must be absolutely perfect,” said her father. And it was. [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]. Her parents named her [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f].”
For some reason that makes me teary. I’m not particularly spiritual but I always come back to: “The Sages say that naming a baby is a making of a statement of character, uniqueness, and the child’s path in life, since, at the beginning of life, a person is given a name, and at the end of life, a good name—a good reputation—is all that is taken from this world by that person.”

7 Likes

We read this book like every week in elementary school! It’s such a great book!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story :heartbeat: I completely agree with your naming style, if it’s perfect it’s the one! I also love [name_f]Delphinium[/name_f]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] unique naming styles make my heart flutter, the stories behind them are always so wonderful! As someone with a unique name I thought I was [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]! I adore my name now and would never change it! Which is all that matters in the end!

1 Like

I loved this book as a child, especially because I didn’t always love my own name. I even named my first car [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]!

That book was such a huge part of my childhood! Especially because I have a more different name (that gets confused with other names quite a bit) that book really showed me that it’s okay to have a name that not everybody loves or gets. I’ve always liked my name but that book definitely influenced my opinion and made me love it even more.

1 Like