Clara vs Lucy

Due in [name_u]January[/name_u] and was so set on [name_f]Clara[/name_f] this whole pregnancy. Ordered many baby items with the name on it… loved it and then Husband started questioning it which makes me start to question it and now we are struggling to settle. I feel when you say a name a thousand times it starts to sound funny… he thinks [name_f]Clara[/name_f] may be too sophisticated for us, and says there are no good nicknames. I thought of shortening it to [name_f]Claire[/name_f] but hes not too keen.
We thought of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. But husband is worried people will call her Lucy-goosey (as in loose). Is it also childish? [name_u]Or[/name_u] cutesy? Our last name is [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. Any advise would be appreciated thank you!

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] hayden

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]

I would stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It’s beautiful and timeless.
Maybe [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]?

7 Likes

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] :white_heart: I would also stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f], I like it more with your surname and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] will never go out of style :blush::sparkles:

4 Likes

I think Clara is a beautiful name, you could nickname her Cece ?
Or Clara Lou if you go for Clara Lucy Hayden or just go for Clara Lou Hayden :dizzy:

2 Likes

I love the compromise suggestion of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. I’m not sure if [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] could be an option but that would get my vote overall. I love [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] but the [name_f]Ann[/name_f] kinda runs into first name [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I would stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It’s stuck through the longevity and this last minute questioning seems like they would likely equate to last minute jitters not necessarily name regret.

4 Likes

I would stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f],
For nicknames you could do [name_f]Cici[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_u]Ari[/name_u], Care-bear

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] !! And I think it’s a stunning option !!

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]!

I’d go with your gut and stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f], it’s gorgeous and timeless! For a nickname how about [name_u]Clarry[/name_u] or [name_f]Clary[/name_f]? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Both of these are wonderful choices!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is sophisticated but not overly so - it’s bright, clear, light, sweet and approachable. [name_f]Cece[/name_f] could be a nickname maybe?

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is gorgeous - snappy but gentle, strong and pretty. Not childish to me. That said, my cousin [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] does occasionally get called [name_m]Goose[/name_m] (from goosey-lucy) but that’s exclusively a family nickname and no one outside of the family have ever used it.

2 Likes

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is classically beautiful. And it sounds great with your last name

I would stick with [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and this is coming from one of the biggest [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] lovers. :relaxed: I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] seems perfect for you, and I love the idea of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as sisters should you have another. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] is just SO beautiful, elegant, and timeless. For a nickname, how about [name_f]Clary[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Lana[/name_f], [name_u]Ara[/name_u], or [name_u]Ari[/name_u]? :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks guys… it hasnt been easy. Who knew choosing a name could be so stressful?!

1 Like

Congratulations :tada:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is beautiful, sophisticated and timeless a really wonderful option. I also love the nutcracker association she feels Christmassy and has sweet wintry imagery. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is perfect for a [name_u]January[/name_u] baby and personally I would stick with her. Maybe [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]? Nickname wise I think [name_f]Cece[/name_f] could work.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! So pretty!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is wonderful and I much prefer it to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. As others have said, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] make perfect sisters! [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] are perfect, can’t go wrong.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is gorgeous and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is fine.

You might have just worn out [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

NNs [name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Claret[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f], Clarion…

I would say it is sophisticated, but not overly so.

No one will call her Lucy-Goosey! I don’t think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is childish or cutesy, but I’m frankly tired of it from having taught too many.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my choice.

Lucy ann sounds to similar to Louisiana for me.
Lucy claire sounds like a doughnut.
Annelise sounds like in a lease.
The end of Clara and Anne run together

They are all theoretically pretty but I’ve ruined them in just having those above thoughts. I would want to hear it if I were in your shoes though rather than thinking of it later! Please excuse my critical nature and use it with no regret if you wish!

I also agree with the others that Clara or Lucy are both beautiful and would make great sisters. They both go great with your last name. Alternately: Adeline? Rosalie? Clara Celeste “C.C.”? I really like your style! Keep brainstorming!

Honestly, just give it some time. And some day you will realize, husbands have no idea what they are talking about. :smile:

Jk! But seriously, don’t let him get into your head. You are good Girl! If you love Clara that’s the name you give her! You don’t want to look at her someday and think “you’re really my clara.” It is such a beautiful name and clearly has a place in your heart. He is overthinking it. Its worthy of her, and shes worthy of it. Too sophisticated?? What does that even mean? Why wouldnt you want to give your child a sophisticated name? One that might set her up for success. Sophisticated is not the same as snobbish if that’s what he means. Its a very delicate feminine lovely name. Its perfect how it is, no need to shorten or nickname, and even better is Clara Lucy! LOVE IT!
I have a Lucy, she is my Clara. If you really dont want to name her that then no need to but if its only because someone here or there thinks something MIGHT be, well its not worth it to miss out on your dream name for her and THE name that has spoken to your heart. And you’re clearly not being impulsive, that would be another thing. I know im on a bit of a rant, but it just makes me sad to see sweet mothers miss out on this sort of thing if there isnt a really strong reason or hard line.
As far as Lucy goes, virtually any name can have a nickname, and is my daughter called Lucy Goosey every once in awhile? Even by me? Or Luce-Goose?Yup, she is! But not very often amd certainly not by anyone who isnt close to her. In fact i may be the only one. Again, not a good enough reason to not use.
“Clara Lucy” -Its adorable!

Maybe just take some time away from the conversation a bit, clear your head, and come back to it in a few weeks. Another but if advice, dont discuss names with anyone other than your husband that are family or friends. Maybe a trusted best friend. Otherwise, try to hold out. Bc EVERYONE has an opinion and yours is the only one that matters.
Good luck and congrats!

4 Likes

I love both of these names equally. I honestly don’t think of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as a “sophisticated” name. Honestly the only [name_f]Clara[/name_f] I’ve ever known in real life came from a family who was pretty redneck. (Not saying it’s a redneck name either, I just think it’s one of those names that can work for anyone and doesn’t have a very specific “image” to me.) Since you said you didn’t start questioning it until you said it for a while, I’d be nervous that if you switch to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] then the same thing will just happen in a few weeks. What I think you should maybe do is not settle on either and just use both for a few weeks, and I think it will become clear to you which one is the one.