Clare v. Claire

All - we finally settled on [name_u]Clare[/name_u]/Claire and now we can’t decide on spelling! [name_u]Clare[/name_u] has family history connections, but [name_f]Claire[/name_f] seems so much easier to spell. Help please! Middle name will likely be [name_f]Estelle[/name_f].

• Clare [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
  • Claire [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]

0 voters

I know a [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and a [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. They’re both relatively easy to spell, though you’re right that [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is more common.

Personally I prefer the [name_f]Claire[/name_f] spelling, but I think the fact [name_u]Clare[/name_u] has family history behind it gives it the edge.

Clare [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is lovely, regardless of spelling!

1 Like

I’ve known plenty with both spellings. I have a really good friend named [name_u]Clare[/name_u], and I think I prefer it, actually. Plus, the family significance for you makes it extra special. I don’t think the spelling will be too much of an issue. [name_u]Clare[/name_u] is a familiar enough alternate spelling, I think, and at least no one will mispronounce it when they read it! :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the combo of [name_u]Clare[/name_u] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], too, btw! Gorgeous.

1 Like

[name_u]Clare[/name_u]/Claire [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is so beautiful! :blush:
This is tough because I would say go with [name_u]Clare[/name_u] for the family connections but I do kind of like the look of [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. Maybe comparing how [name_u]Clare[/name_u] vs [name_f]Claire[/name_f] looks with only your surname will help you decide since [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] won’t always be visible being a middle name.

1 Like

Lovely nams regardless of spelling but [name_f]Claire[/name_f] looks best to me

1 Like

I think [name_u]Clare[/name_u] is beautiful, it’s my favorite of the two spellings. Oddly enough, I find that [name_u]Clare[/name_u] looks a bit fresher than [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and I like how elegant and pared-back the spelling is. I think both spellings are almost equally as common, so I don’t think you’d get more/less trouble either way you spelled it. [name_f]My[/name_f] vote definitely goes to [name_u]Clare[/name_u], especially considering that it has family significance.

1 Like

Well, this is tricky.

I like how [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is [name_u]French[/name_u]. [name_u]Clare[/name_u] is the Gaelic spelling. Which is probably why I personally prefer it. And since [name_u]Clare[/name_u] has family connections, that gets my vote despite the lovely [name_u]French[/name_u]-ness of [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I personally prefer the [name_f]Claire[/name_f] spelling but if [name_u]Clare[/name_u] has family connections then feel free to go for it