Classic or Trendy? Naming my baby boy

[name]Hi[/name] berries,

I’m due for a baby boy in about two weeks, and my DH and I are clashing over a name!

He like trendy, masculine names, like [name]King[/name], [name]Duke[/name], [name]Jagger[/name], [name]Ace[/name] and things of that nature.

I like classic names, like [name]Henry[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Robert[/name] and thing like that.

His current favorite combo is [name]Axel[/name] [name]Rayne[/name], but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]. Thoughts?

• Meiya

What about a compromise of [name]Axel[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]William[/name] [name]Rayne[/name]?

Here’s a list of names that may bridge the gap?
[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Issac[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Jason[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
Any hitting the spot at all?

Or go with something classic that has a different nickname? um… I’ll have to have a think on that one and get back to you with more ideas! But something along the line of these:
[name]Kingston[/name]/[name]Kingsley[/name] nn [name]King[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] nn [name]Art[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Chuck[/name]
[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]
What do you think?

I personally am with you on this but you both have to be happy. Actually looking it up [name]Rayne[/name] is a french/english medieval girls name meaning queen! It’s all girl not even listed as unisex… So, that may sway him away from that one!

Maybe you could suggest [name]William[/name] [name]Axel[/name] as a compromise? And there’s always the I’m the one giving birth card!

[name]Hope[/name] thats useful, [name]Val[/name] x

Some more unusual classic names you may be able to con him into thinking are trendy ;)!
[name]August[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Scott[/name]
[name]Mitchell[/name] (with nn [name]Mitch[/name] might be good one?)

Think thats all I can think of at the moment. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these ideas!

[name]Val[/name] x

I like the idea of compromising by combining your favorites – [name]Axel[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] is darling in my opinion! (For some reason [name]Axel[/name] falls more in the classic category in my mind than your hubby’s other favs. I also love the meaning!)
The suggestion of using a classic name that can lead to a spunky nn is great too! I suppose [name]Alexander[/name] could lead to [name]Ace[/name]. Although technically, your husband could just call your son [name]Ace[/name] regardless of his name since [name]Ace[/name] can be a generic nickname like [name]Buddy[/name].
Would it be plausible for each of you to pick one name (you pick the first name and he picks the middle, or vice versa)? Or you could each make a list and pick 3 you like from the other’s list, and go from there?
I hope you find something you both can love. After all, it took both of you to make this baby! :slight_smile:

I think a compromise is in order. Perhaps an older name that is unusual for your husband but still has history for you?

Some suggestions:
[name]Alexander[/name] “[name]Axel[/name]”
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Henrik[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] “[name]Ace[/name]”
[name]Duncan[/name] “[name]Duke[/name]”
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]

I absolutely love [name]Jagger[/name]. I was actually going to spell it Jager. It was the only choice on my list for boys.(but I’m having a girl, and can’t decide)
Jager [name]Curtis[/name] - NM-JC, it’s both trendy and classic.

When I first clicked onto this post I thought you were going to talk about names like [name]Elliott[/name]. I am not fond of the names that your husband likes, however, if he likes [name]King[/name] he may like [name]Kingston[/name] which would probably suit your tastes but I would only use it as a mn.

eg [name]William[/name] [name]Kingston[/name] nn [name]Liam[/name] In this combo you both get your tastes catered for. If you like [name]Kingston[/name] and he likes [name]King[/name] then you have a match there and if you like [name]William[/name] and he likes [name]Liam[/name] then you have another match, the traditional with the modern.

For [name]Henry[/name] I would choose [name]Harrison[/name] as the modern equivalent and [name]Phoenix[/name] is almost the same sound as [name]Felix[/name] so you might like [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Felix[/name] which has the modern/traditional vibe.

Instead of [name]Axel[/name] I would choose the more conservative but much loved [name]Alexander[/name] or [name]Xavier[/name] where you get the ‘x’ factor.
[name]Axel[/name] is pretty out there for most people and I probably think you will need to meet somewhere between out there and modern preppie to cover both tastes.

eg [name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name]

I think [name]Rayne[/name] spelt as [name]Raine[/name] is strictly for the girls so I would only use it that way but you may like [name]Raymond[/name] instead.

eg [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Raymond[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name]

more combos

[name]Mason[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Mace[/name]
[name]Mason[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]

I am tired of hearing [name]Benjamin[/name] everywhere but like the more modern [name]Asher[/name] eg [name]Asher[/name] [name]Derek[/name] or even [name]Asher[/name] [name]Duke[/name], but [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Duke[/name] is a good strong name, nn of [name]Ben[/name].

[name]Robert[/name] is a strong name and I love the nn of [name]Robbie[/name] on boy and man combo [name]Robert[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]. You get the traditional vibe and your husband gets the ‘x’ factor in [name]Xavier[/name] which is now becoming well liked but not overused so it is imo a modern name.

Instead of [name]Jagger[/name] use the biblical [name]Jared[/name] and [name]Jared[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] is a great combo and I am sure it will please both of you.

or

[name]William[/name] [name]Preston[/name]
[name]John[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Henry[/name] nn [name]Nathan[/name] or [name]Nate[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name] nn [name]Nate[/name]
[name]Jamison[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helped a little please let me know.

rollo

Sorry for repeats. I definitely think a compromise is in order. I am not a fan of [name]Rayne[/name] at all but [name]Axel[/name] is quite nice. What about [name]Ranier[/name] (it has an action tough guy meaning similar to the other names he likes)? [name]Just[/name] [name]Ray[/name] is nice in the middle.
[name]Axel[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Axel[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Axel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Axel[/name]
[name]Axel[/name] [name]Rainier[/name]
[name]Rainier[/name] [name]Axel[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Rainier[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Ranier[/name]

Some other suggestions that could help you meet in the middle:
[name]Dashiell[/name] nn [name]Dash[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name] nn [name]Cash[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name] nn [name]Cash[/name]
[name]Asa[/name] nn [name]Ace[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]/[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] nns [name]Hank[/name]/[name]Harry[/name] are very masculine to me
[name]Rex[/name]-means king, not really used for dogs anymore, is classic :wink:
[name]Rocco[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name] nn [name]Vince[/name]

With [name]Duke[/name], remind your DH that it rhymes with puke and also dookie jokes, sorry guys but I had to say it. It is a great nn though, could be a cool middle.

My tastes are a little more in line with your husband ([name]Ace[/name] and [name]Axel[/name] were also on my list – along with Brave, [name]Cash[/name], [name]Tate[/name], and [name]Storm[/name]) but here are some of the strong names on my list that might bridge the gap a little.

[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Preston[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Crew[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]

I also like the idea of using one of your names as a mn or vice versa. Also, I think “[name]Theo[/name]” could sound a little trendy right now. You might be able to convince him on that one.

Others that you might like:
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] (nn [name]Alex[/name])
[name]Jack[/name] (or [name]Jackson[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name] if you want it to sound trendy)
Altas