Classic, Saintly, or Philosophical Pairings for Miles?

We just found out that baby is a boy! We’d had a girl’s name picked out ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]), but we’re having a hard time agreeing on a choice for a boy. We have plenty of names that seem OK, but nothing that’s just perfect for both of us.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] is a family name and will definitely be one of the names, whether in the first or middle slot.
I’m doctoral candidate in theology, and my husband’s a philosopher, so we’d love a name that’s subtly inspired by a saint, theologian, or philosopher, without being too unusual or on-the-nose (ie: names like [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], or [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] are probably out). I like what I would call less-common classics–names that are familiar, but not perennial Top-20 names.
Unfortunately, our last name doesn’t work with names that end with “us” or “as” (like [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Matthias[/name_m], all of which we like).

I tend to like 3-syllable names; here are some of my favorites, none of which my husband loves:
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Immanuel[/name_m]

My husband’s a fan of:
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] (I think this is a bit heavy on the long “i” sound)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] (I’m not sure why I don’t love this. It just seems a bit blah?)

Other names that we like but that close friends/family have used and are therefore off the table: [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I also like [name_u]Jude[/name_u], but I think we need at least a 2-syllable name to pair with [name_m]Miles[/name_m].

Ideas?

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Cicero[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]/[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]

Kolbe [name_m]Miles[/name_m] (if you like St. [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] Kolbe)
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] or [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] ([name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is a short form of [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] – I’m thinking of the saint not the pope)
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Austin[/name_m] ([name_m]Austin[/name_m] originated as a short form of [name_m]Augustine[/name_m])
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] (pronounced the BER-nerd way)
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

I know you seem to have ruled out [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] but [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sounds cool [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

If you like [name_m]Julian[/name_m] but your oartner isn’t 100% in live it, maybe sone of these will work:
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]

Other names that could work:
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m][name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] (a lot of saints with this name which translates to pilgrim or traveler.)
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Francis[/name_m] [name_m]Miles [/name_m]

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Virgil[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Colman[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Jerome[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerard[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
Miles Timothy

I think [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] is usable in the middle if you like it.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Jerome[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m].

I’m making a guess as to your religion and denomination. Apologies if I’m going in the wrong direction. I’m focusing more on saints than philosophers, simply because there seems more chance of me suggesting a philosopher your husband dislikes than a saint you dislike :slight_smile:
These might work with Miles:

Gabriel
Albert
Alfred
Justin
Xavier
Damian
Becket
Sylvester
Vincent
Wilfrid
Raphael
Leopold
Rupert
Pascal
Rufus
And, if they’re not too close to Simon and Oliver for you, perhaps Simeon and Olivier

In terms of meaning, I particularly like Pascal (for Blaise), Justin (for Justin Martyr), Albert (for Albertus Magnus) and Alexander (for Catherine of Alexandria) for you

Thank you all for the lovely suggestions! I’m particularly fond of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and will pass those on.

@onomastadon I should have clarified–we’re Protestant, but I’m at a Catholic university and study eastern Christianity in the Persian Empire/early Arab caliphate, so we’re pretty ecumenical in our taste in [name_m]Christian[/name_m] saints! :slight_smile:

After talking it over with my husband some more, I think that if the baby’s middle is more likely to be [name_m]Miles[/name_m], because he’s not overly fond of it, but knows that it’s an important honor name for me. [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is the frontrunner right now, but hubs is a little concerned that it’ll read as too feminine (probably because of the similar sound to [name_u]Julianne[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Jillian[/name_f], etc.). He’s not looking for anything hyper-masculine a la [name_m]Brock[/name_m] or [name_u]Rex[/name_u], but I think that’s his main concern–he’s not quite as name obsessed as I am, so it’s sometimes hard to get a good read on why he likes or dislikes what he does.

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] is wonderful. It’s romantic but plenty masculine! Maybe explain the etymology to him a bit, most of those feminine names you referenced are variants of the masculine names which came first [name_m]Julius[/name_m] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] are what begot the [name_f]Julia[/name_f]'s and [name_u]Julianne[/name_u]'s of the world.

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] is one of my favourite boys’ names. I agree with @brittanyanitarose, [name_m]Julian[/name_m] sounds strong, romantic and handsome to me. I think [name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] is lovely.

If not [name_m]Julian[/name_m], maybe [name_m]Justus[/name_m]. [name_m]Justus[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] sounds fantastic.