Classy/Glamorous/Upper East Side Names. What comes to mind?

I’d say [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], which is the more tradiional UES/[name_u]Brit[/name_u] spelling.

Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side forces me to think [name_f]Serena[/name_f] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. LOL

Too funny! That totally makes sense. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is beautiful. :smile:

Haha. Me too. It’s probably no surprise that I love Gossip Girl. I’m not really a fan of the name [name_f]Serena[/name_f], but I love [name_u]Blair/name_u. I like it with the “e” added. I don’t want to necessarily think I’m naming her after [name_u]Blair[/name_u] Waldorf, but to me, it’s a great name association. I mean… I don’t want my daughter to be snotty, but everything else is good. :wink:

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] or [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] maybe?

I could also see [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] being the [name_m]Christian[/name_m] name of a very upper class girl.
As [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is an alternative feminisation of [name_m]Charles[/name_m] to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and also boasts an impressive royal pedigree, it might be a good compromise

Lol, my parents’ friends’ son works at PWC and lives in the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side-- he and his wife have children (tweens and teens, I don’t know the exact ages) named [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

I’m guessing you don’t want to name your daughter something that is currently popular among women and teenage girls in the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side-- rather, you want to name her something that will fit in with all the babies currently being born or about to be born on the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side. Names there tend to be very classic, and/or a few years ahead of everywhere else (thanks to the ‘classic name’ trend in the rest of the US). For example: fifteen years ago, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ranked around #300 of the most popular names (not unheard of, but certainly not common), but last year, it was #7-- I personally know at least three baby Charlottes running around, but only one teenager.

Here is a question: are you actually planning on living on the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side, or do you just want a name that sounds like it comes from the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side? Because if you are actually going to live there, you’d probably want a name that was classic, sophisticated, and perhaps a bit uncommon over there; really, any classic-yet-slightly-obscure name will do. If you just want to sound like your kid is from there, you want something that is currently popular on the UES. The easiest way to do this is, in order of ease: a) ask someone who lives there, b) try to find birth announcements from your desired neighborhood and look for trends (a bit tricky as people don’t just print them in the paper like they used to) or c) go to Central [name_m]Park[/name_m] or one of those indoor playground things and listen to the names that nannies shout out when trying to go home, though you will probably appear to be a bit of a creeper and also end up a few years behind the trend.

Your other option is to look for classic names that have not yet made a ‘comeback’ in the US. I’d look at recent British baby name lists-- classic yet newly popular names tend to pop up over there a few years before they make it to the US. Some possibilites: [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. I personally know of a baby [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] who lives on the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side. Also, I think [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is adorable.

Really, in the end, though, I’d just pick a name you like.

max1035:
Thanks for all the information! I won’t be moving to the Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side… actually, I live in the South. Haha! It was just an association for “classy,” I suppose. I agree that I would prefer something less common. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is my favorite name…has been since I was 16 years old, but now it’s too popular! :frowning: I love [name_u]Blaire[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], though, and they are not very popular right now. Again, thank you for your advice!

I’m thinking tailored, polished names, not necessarily Upper [name_f]East[/name_f] Side, but strong and respectable.

[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f] (reminds me of [name_u]Blair[/name_u] from your list)
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]