Clotilda?

Not pregnant or ttc- would just like some opinions :slight_smile:

I’ve fallen for [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f] lately, but all of the opinions I see of her are overwhelmingly negative. I’ve seen others view it along the lines of [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] or [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]- not that there’s anything wrong with that, in my opinion, but I’m just saying that it’s mostly seen as awfully clunky.

But I kind of like its clunkiness- I find it cute and endearing. In a way, I also find it to be rather fresh, like [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f], due to its similarity to [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Plus [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is too popular for me to use in the first spot, so I thought that [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f] could be a good compromise.

Though I have no idea what middle name I’d use! Perhaps something youthful and cutesy, like [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_f]Plum[/name_f].

So my question for you is: what is your honest opinion on [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f]? Is it usable, perhaps even in the front spot? Also if you don’t mind, do you prefer the clə-[name_m]TIL[/name_m]-də or cloh-[name_m]TIL[/name_m]-də pronunciation?

Thanks so much!

I think it’s a fine name. Sure it’s a bit clunky but there are loads of great clunky names that no one complains about. ([name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] comes to mind as an example.)

The way I see it, people love names like [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], so I have a hard time seeing any valid objection to [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f].

It sounds ok. I prefer the chlo similar to [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] pronounciation.
For me when I initially read it all I saw was “clot” and immediately thought of blood clots.

I don’t like it. I don’t think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is too popular and I like it.

It’s not my style, but it’s not bad. It reminds me of the name [name_f]Clodagh[/name_f], which I love!

I don’t like it because of the clot sound.

I’m honestly a little confused by the clot comments. I’ve always heard this name pronounced so that the [name_f]Clo[/name_f] rhymes with flow.

Thank you all for your responses!

@adelina_sophia: [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f] has been on my list for a while but I hadn’t ever considered [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f], which I also prefer, until recently! I’m liking the idea of a word middle as well- [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] is especially sweet :slight_smile: Perhaps even [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]?

@brittanyanitarose: I’ve never heard the clot/short “o” pronunciation either, but there is the chance that it may be disliked because the word clot is in the name written down, whether it is pronounced the same or not. Behindthename says that the first syllable is kind of like cluh, but I think that rhyming with flow is more intuitive, especially due to the similarity to [name_f]Chloe[/name_f].

Not a fan…

While I didn’t immediately think of “clot”, I thought of another word that is spelled the same, except with an “i” instead of an “o”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also just think the name looks clunky and unappealing.

I like [name_f]Clotilda[/name_f]. She could be nicknamed [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Tillie[/name_f], [name_f]Tilda[/name_f].

It’s nice to see something different.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

I actually really like this name!!!

I prefer [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f], with a nn [name_f]Chloe[/name_f]! I know two [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f]'s (or [name_f]Clotilde[/name_f]) and both are lovely and smart! They didn’t strike me as [name_f]Chloe[/name_f]'s when I met them, but when I found out their real names, it made perfect sense!