Clover as a nickname for what?

I think [name]Clover[/name] would be adorable on a little girl but is definitely not substantial enough on its own. What could it be a nickname for? The only thing I’ve heard is in The Good [name]Shepherd[/name], it was a nn for [name]Margaret[/name] (a family name I love) but is that too much of a stretch?

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

I don’t have any formal name suggestions to get to nn [name]Clover[/name], but you could do a Cl- first name and a V- middle, like [name]Claire[/name] [name]Veronica[/name] or [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Vera[/name] to get to [name]Clover[/name]. I think that [name]Clover[/name] works well as a middle with a more buttoned-down first, like [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Juliette[/name]. That way you can still call her [name]Clover[/name] but she has a formal name for job applications, etc.

That’s actually a great idea I didn’t even consider, thanks!

Well, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch as a nickname for any [name]Clo[/name] name - [name]Chloe[/name] springs to mind. That said, I actually think it works just fine on it’s own; spunky and feminine, made familiar by both the sounds it shares with the popular [name]Chloe[/name] and that -er ending (similar to many currently popular surname names - [name]Harper[/name] etc.), not difficult to spell or pronounce, and no more frivolous than another botanical choice like [name]Ivy[/name] - perhaps even less so than some flower names. If you like [name]Clover[/name], just go for it - I’ve seen it used as a full name and it holds its ground well :slight_smile:

[name]Auburn[/name]

I think you could even do something like [name]Claudia[/name], because [name]Clover[/name] is whimsical enough you don’t need a super tight connection with the formal name.

I agree with the poster to choose a more formal name and not one even remotely related to [name]Clover[/name]. Then use [name]Clover[/name] as her nickname. This is the way it was done for a 100 years or more for the wealthy sorts on the east coast. (Like the Good [name]Shepard[/name] reference). To get [name]Clover[/name] out of [name]Claudia[/name] or Chlore sounds stranger to me than saying her formal name is say [name]Abigal[/name] but we nickname her [name]Clover[/name].

I’ve never though of this, but I love it!

[name]Clover[/name] as a nn for [name]Clodagh[/name] ([name]CLO[/name]-da, Irish)

This is actually what I would probably do. Thinking back, I know of several people in my family who had nicknames that were completely unrelated to their formal names so it must have been a lot more common in the past. Thank you!