~ Clover vs. Coco

~ Our oldest child was named [name]Cole[/name] [name]Patrick[/name], and then his little sister came along, and we named her [name]Cate[/name] [name]Maura[/name] after my mother, [name]Catherine[/name], and my mother-in-law, [name]Mary[/name], ([name]Maura[/name] is the Irish form of [name]Mary[/name]). We have decided to stick with the “C” theme and I would so [name]LOVE[/name] to honor my Grandmother by having the middle name be [name]Nell[/name] and I would like for the nick name to be as sweet as [name]Cate[/name]'s, which is “[name]Kitty[/name]”. My mother’s nickname is “[name]Cat[/name]”, and so “[name]Kitty[/name]” was a shoe in for her. So, the choices and their nicknames…in no particular order are:

~ [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (nn [name]Clover[/name] OR [name]Coco[/name])
~ [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nella[/name] (Irish form of [name]Nell[/name]) (nn [name]Clover[/name])
~ [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (Honors [name]BOTH[/name] Maternal Great Grandmothers) (nn [name]Lottie[/name], [name]Tottie[/name], Cookie)
~ [name]Clover[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (nn possibly [name]Coco[/name])
~ [name]Coco[/name] [name]Nell[/name]

~ Thanks SOOO much!!!

I feel strongly that you should NOT use [name]Coco[/name] as the full name. It is a sweet nickname for a child, but not a name you would want on your resume as a grown woman.

[name]Clover[/name] is another name that sounds cute for a little girl, but would probably be a difficult name to wear as an adult.

[name]Chloe[/name] is not a name I particularly like, but plenty of people love this name and there’s really nothing wrong with it, other than that it’s a bit popular - I’m not sure [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Nell[/name] has the best flow, though.

Of your choices, I like [name]Claire[/name] the best, but [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nell[/name] is rather abrupt.

Some other suggestions:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name]* (I think this has a great flow, and the nickname [name]Lottie[/name] is adorable, esp with sister [name]Kitty[/name])

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (the n’s do run into each other a bit, but I think it has a nice flow otherwise, and [name]Caroline[/name] could be shortened to [name]Cara[/name])

[name]Corinna[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (you could get the nickname [name]Coco[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] out of this)

Not only do you have a C theme going, but you have a one-syllable C first name followed by two-syllable middle name. that being said, I think your only choice is [name]Clare[/name] - I would use the English spelling, as both [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Cate[/name] are English.

~ That is SOOO Ironic…I had considered [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name], as like my first daughter’s name, was orchestrated to honor her Grandmother’s, [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name] would honor [name]Both[/name] Maternal “Great Grandmother’s”, however, I was sad that [name]Charlotte[/name] did not have that same “C” sound as [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Cate[/name], but thanks for your interest in that name combo…I will go ahead and add it to the list for others to consider as well!

Let me list you some more choices for C names with a K sound ^^

• by my favourites:
    [name]Calais[/name]
    [name]Caledonia[/name]
    Caliope
    [name]Cambria[/name]
    [name]Camelia[/name]*
    [name]Cameo[/name]
    Camomile (odd, I know…)
    [name]Capella[/name]
    [name]Carmel[/name]*
    [name]Carys[/name]*
    [name]Cassiopeia[/name]
    [name]Clarion[/name]
    [name]Clarity[/name]
    [name]Clio[/name]*
    [name]Claudia[/name]
    [name]Cosette[/name]
    [name]Claudine[/name]
    [name]Cosima[/name]* (or [name]Cosme[/name])
    [name]Colleen[/name]
    [name]Claude[/name]
    [name]Cloud[/name]
    [name]Clyde[/name]* ([name]Tori[/name] [name]Amos[/name] put this name on a girl, I haven’t thought of it as a boy name since, although most people would…)

Also, Nameberry has [name]Coel[/name] listed as a variant of [name]Colleen[/name], but I think it’s a lot nicer in fact ^^ Maybe Coelle to make the pronunciation more intuitive? I’m not usually one for inventing names, but Coelle is pretty cute… Hmmm…
Anyway, best of luck!

From your list, I really love the flow and style of [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name]. It has a classic/vintage feel, and [name]Lottie[/name] and [name]Kitty[/name] work beautifully together as nicknames. (Then again, they both have the same ending sound, which may or may not be an issue for you.) I also appreciate how it honors so many relatives for you.

While I like [name]Clover[/name], I don’t think it works as well as [name]Charlotte[/name]/[name]Lottie[/name] with [name]Kitty[/name], and because it has the same long O sound as [name]Cole[/name], [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Clover[/name] sound too similar to me. (I know I’d personally become tongue tied saying them.)

[name]Coco[/name] and [name]Cole[/name] are way too similar in sound to me with their Co beginnings, and I personally think of [name]Coco[/name] as a nickname.

Although [name]Chloe[/name] is popular, I think it’s very pretty, although it’s too close to [name]Cole[/name] for me. (Not only are the long O sounds alike but if you look at the letters, [name]Cole[/name] contains every letter in [name]Chloe[/name] aside from the h.)

I think [name]Claire[/name] is very pretty, but it needs a longer middle name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

~ [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (nn [name]Clover[/name] OR [name]Coco[/name]) chloe feels VERY dated
~ [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nella[/name] (Irish form of [name]Nell[/name]) (nn [name]Clover[/name]) very nice
~ [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name] (Honors [name]BOTH[/name] Maternal Great Grandmothers) (nn [name]Lottie[/name], [name]Tottie[/name], Cookie) the nn are scary
~ [name]Clover[/name] [name]Nell[/name]: like the name clover but dont like nn
~ [name]Coco[/name] [name]Nell[/name]: coco is a dogs name

To add to my post, I thought I’d suggest an Irish C name that has [name]Cole[/name]'s modern style (plus [name]Cate[/name] with a C looks pretty modern to me, too) and would still honor [name]Nell[/name]:

[name]Connelly[/name], with the nickname [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nelly[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Clover[/name] [name]Nell[/name].

I’ve never met a [name]Clover[/name], but I’ve met a Clova - named for [name]Glen[/name] Clova, a valley in [name]Scotland[/name].

Have you considered

[name]Clara[/name] or [name]Cora[/name]?

[name]Carys[/name]?

[name]Love[/name] these ideas, also love [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Nell[/name].

[name]Cole[/name] [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Cate[/name] [name]Maura[/name], and [name]Clare[/name] [name]Nella[/name] seems ideal.

[name]Nella[/name] is actually a shortened version of the Irish [name]Fenella[/name], which means "fair"or “white,” like [name]Fiona[/name]. [name]Nell[/name] means “light,” but [name]Nella[/name] still honors it!

You could call [name]Clare[/name] ‘[name]Clare[/name]-[name]Bear[/name],’ ‘[name]Clarabella[/name]’ (sounds kind of like [name]Clare[/name] [name]Nella[/name]), ‘[name]Clare[/name] de [name]Lune[/name]’ (like Debussy’s [name]Clair[/name] de [name]Lune[/name])…

My favorite is [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nella[/name], but I also like [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Nell[/name]…