Coffee Drinking Moms!

I’m not expecting, but I like to have things planned out and look into options.
I absolutely LOVE coffee, and I will usually drink 2 cups of coffee, black, each morning. Research shows coffee is not good for babies development, some articles suggest 8oz a day is ok… but my fiance doesnt like the idea of me drinking coffee at all during pregnancy. Which I’m fine with, and I ultimately agree with as well.

[name_f]My[/name_f] question is, to any coffee drinking moms out there, what alternatives did you use as a morning drink? I very much dislike tea, so that isnt an option unfortunately.
[name_m]How[/name_m] did you guys wean off of coffee? When did you start drinking coffee again, or did you stop all together while breastfeeding?

I have tried Dandy Blend, which is very yummy and tastes like coffee when you add more to the mug. But I’ve read that Chicory Roots may lead to problems during pregnancy. Dandy Blend suggests there is only a small amount of Chicory in their product and is safe to drink during pregnancy… I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with this drink while pregnant?

I really appreciate any feed back! I know everyone is different, some will drink coffee, some wont… I’m just trying to find the best option for me! :slightly_smiling_face::coffee:

1 Like

I basically live off of coffee! When I was pregnant I switched to decaf and even though it still has a small amount of caffeine, my doctor said it was fine. I did go the whole first trimester without anything though because I was paranoid about being high-risk because of twins. I tried the chicory root stuff once but I didn’t like it personally.

1 Like

At some point in each of my pregnancies weaning off of coffee was simple in that it caused big time morning sickness. [name_f]My[/name_f] first two pregnancies hubby couldn’t even have coffee around me or I’d feel sick… you’re talking middle of winter windows rolled down in the car if he even tried. This third time has been the opposite I pretty much start every day with coffee… still nursing my two year old also. Iced tea is my caffeine alternative.

1 Like

I’m not a big coffee drinker, so stopping all coffee consumption wasn’t difficult for me, so I won’t be too helpful on that front. I would recommend looking into date coffee (made from date seeds)! From what I’ve heard it tastes the same, but without caffeine. I just don’t know if it’s safe during pregnancy, so I’d check on that.

1 Like

I drink A LOT of coffee. To be honest, I never completely quit during either of my pregnancies. I did limit myself to one cup a day. I tried to stick to herbal tea most of the day, but in the morning I allowed myself one cup of coffee. For the first 3 months of my pregnancies I hardly wanted to drink coffee anyway, especially when I was pregnant with my youngest, because it tasted foul and made me feel nauseous.
As far as alternatives go, I tried chicory coffee for a while during my first pregnancy, but I have to admit I’m not a fan. The taste is alright, but I prefer just plain hot chocolate. During my last pregnancy I discovered turmeric latte, and that’s definitely my favorite alternative. You really should try it, and it’s healthy too.

1 Like

I drank coffee throughout my pregnancy. [name_m]Just[/name_m] 250 mg a day. That was ok’d by my high risk maternity doc and cardiologist. And I needed it! I also continue to have coffee while I breastfeed. When she was born I had a cup a day once old by my cardiologist. I would drink it right after I fed her then I would have 2-3 hours before she fed again. Now she is 7.5 months. I have a cup in the morning. After I feed her. And another around 11. I am having it right now. I had fed her again and she should be napping although she is fussing in her crib ATM.

2 Likes

I too was told by high risk obs and cardiologists having one cup of coffee a day is fine!
Breast feeding I think you can be pretty lax unless they’re reacting to allergies. Make sure the information you read are peer reviewed papers not just someones opinion. Theres a lot of information out there that I feel unfairly restricts mothers and creates a lot of unnecessary anxiety

5 Likes

Thank you ladies! I really appreciate all the comments, it’ll definitely be something to think about!

I’m the only girl coffee drinking in the family, so I dont really have anyone to ask for advice, or see how certain quantities may/may not effect the babies growth, etc.

2 Likes

I didn’t drink coffee before/during my first pregnancy but started having a cup a day once I had a toddler who was allergic to sleep. When I became pregnant again, my first symptom was going completely off coffee before I even got a positive test. It completely turned my stomach. You might not have much trouble dropping it. I started drinking a cup every few days, and then every day, around 20 weeks. I’m up to two cups now while still breastfeeding (he’s 14 months). From what I read, the major issue with caffeine is that it has been linked to low birth weights when consumed in excess. [name_f]My[/name_f] son was just over 11 lb, so I don’t think my cup a day affected him much. Haha! But plain black tea is also a good substitute.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s really helpful :slight_smile:

I never stopped having coffee! [name_f]My[/name_f] doctors/nurses told me that 1 to 2 cups per day is fine.

1 Like

I will add my midwife was actually the one who kept me on eating chocolate throughout [name_f]My[/name_f] pregnancies . She told me it’s a great way to help prevent headaches! Not coffee but something to consider also!

1 Like

I love coffee. [name_f]My[/name_f] first pregnancy I weaned down to one teacup of coffee a day, from my normal 2-4 cups. I’m currently 6 weeks pregnant and have done the same. What are the ingredients in dandy blend? I know certain herbs aren’t safe for pregnancy. I have read the studies about caffeine and pregnancy and I feel comfortable with my small amount daily. To each their own! What makes you feel healthy and safe (and is dr/midwife approved)

Thank you for sharing! I agree that I’ve read most articles saying a small amount of coffee a day is ok, but my fiance is really on the fence about it :frowning: I’m sure once we do start trying, we can get more insight with our doctor, etc.

As for Dandy blend, it contains extracts of barley, rye, dandelion, chicory and beef roots.

I recommend reading Expecting Better, that has a chapter on coffee :slight_smile:

1 Like