Cohen

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, and I rather like the name [name_m]Cohen[/name_m], as an honor name for [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]. His song Hallelujah has made such an impact on my life. I remember listening to that song in my dorm room during my first semester at college, horribly depressed, and taking so much comfort in the cold and broken hallelujahs. The more that I think about it, the more it seems perfect for me, and perfect as a brother for [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m].

Except, of course, that I’m not Jewish. I’ve asked all of the Jewish people in my life, and none of them found it offensive. But that doesn’t mean it’s usable. Upon doing some research, I’ve found that the traditional Hebrew spelling of the word is actually [name_m]Kohen[/name_m], Kohien, or Kohenim? Does that make this better?

I feel so conflicted about this. So, Berries, set me straight. I would never, ever want to offend anyone with my baby name choice, nor appropriate the culture and significance of Judaism. Could [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] be usable in a [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] context? Or should I scrap it?

1 Like

I think it’s usable if Jewish people in your life don’t find it offensive, although I would recommend asking the rabbi in your local synagogue when you’re actually expecting (I’m assuming from your other posts that you’re not). I’m not Jewish though, so if someone who is tells you not to use it, their opinion comes first.

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is fine to use, especially given that the people you know do not find it offensive. A lot of people do not necessarily know it’s a Jewish surname

Unfortunately, I’m not sure it’s appropriate.

https://www.laineygossip.com/duana-names-this-is-why-not/Lifestyle/30316

11 Likes

I too thought it was an okay name to use until I read the article that @almostactually posted above. I read it a few days ago and it completely changed my views and made me realise xoxo

2 Likes

The article @almostactually linked explains my thoughts exactly on this topic.

Leonard [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is an amazing musician and a wonderful namesake, but the name [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is sacred in Judaism and the idea of using it as a name is deeply offensive to some Jewish people. Maybe not your Jewish friends, but some people in the community find it inappropriate and offensive.

Add to that the stigma potentially faced by a non-Jewish child wearing this name, given the controversy around it, and it just seems a bad idea to use it on several different levels.

Do you like [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]? I think [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] makes it cool :notes: I love him too!

4 Likes

I knew that you all were right before I even posted the topic. Unfortunately, as much as I love it, it simply wouldn’t be right to ignore the sacredness of the name in Judaism just because I like the name.

I am rather liking [name_m]Norman[/name_m], [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]’s middle name. Maybe that will replace [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] in my heart.

Oh, or Anthem! That would be such a cool name, and it’s a Cohen song.

4 Likes

Yes sadly you’re hunch was right
This name is offensive. Not worth using it

How about it [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lenny[/name_u]?

I’ve met a Cowin and a Cowen. Not sure if those spellings will make it less offensive, though…

How about [name_m]Corwin[/name_m]?
Or a variation on [name_f]Hallelujah[/name_f]—[name_u]Halley[/name_u], [name_f]Hailey[/name_f], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], etc. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_u]Holland[/name_u] or [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] is a loose variation, I think.

Anthem is fun!

1 Like

Jew here. Thank you for changing your mind and listening. The linked article has all the points I wanted too make but better written. Judaism is not just a religion like Christianity, but it’s an ethno-religion. Another thing is that since it’s a Jewish name, your child WILL BE subjected to anti-semitism and Nazism (neo or otherwise), even if your child doesn’t convert too Judaism, because you can’t hide a first name like a last name.

7 Likes

I’ve been seeing the name [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] everywhere lately! I feel like it’s getting popular and I doubt it’s just Jewish couples using the name! I think some names just take off into the mainstream no matter their origin.

Its thoughtful that you asked because there is insight to be learned and appreciated here. But I do think we are going to see a rise in popularity for [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] outside of the Jewish community.

1 Like

Anthem is very cool and refreshing by the way!

After reading the article, I too don’t think it’s an appropriate name for a non-jewish person to name their child.

I do like the sound of [name_m]Anthem[/name_m], but it honestly strikes me as more of a patriotic name than a religious or [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] name because my first thought is the national anthem.

And I’m a firm believer that appropriation is bad no matter if the intentions were good or not. Especially when genocide is involved.

6 Likes

Anthem is amazing! I really like it.

3 Likes

Completely agree with @PRSing!

Anthem is a very cool name! I also absolutely love [name_m]Norman[/name_m]!! Or maybe there’s another way to honor him, like a different ‘Co-’ name or a word from a song!
[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you decided against [name_m]Cohen[/name_m], by the way!

Came here to say “don’t”. Seems like everyone already has.