Cohen

One more thing is that using a Hebrew origin name (which is totally fine obvi.) is entirely different than a Jewish surname. While I know that surnames as FNs are on the rise it is never appropriate too use a Jewish one because of their significance too the families and what they represent in the communities.

3 Likes

[name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is not a useable name. It is a traditional Jewish last name, and even though your Jewish friends might not find it offensive, enough Jewish people do that it is worth finding a different honor name. [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], and [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] are all good ways to honor, and if you want a Hebrew name [name_u]Ari[/name_u] means lion. (Also Jews traditionally don’t use last names to honor people, and that honestly makes this name worse)

Also, all the K spellings just make it worse in my opinion :neutral_face:. It’s great that you’re reconsidering.

1 Like

I can’t figure out how to close this thread, but [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is definitely off the table, and I am in love with [name_m]Anthem[/name_m].

2 Likes

I’m Jewish and I don’t like it as a first name especially for someone who isn’t Jewish. :grimacing: I feel that way about a lot of Hebrew names though. The suggestion of Anthem is really cool! I also really like Leander but I’m not sure if it’s direct enough for an honor name?

Don’t close the thread. It could be very valuable for others.

I don’t think anyone is thinking ill of you. It was a good question. And this way others have this info if they search.

1 Like

I love the sound of it, but I sadly wouldn’t ever use it because of the controversy surrounding it. Would you consider using [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] etc to honor [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]?

1 Like

I’m also Jewish and thank you for asking, listening, and then reconsidering. Maybe [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m] would be good variants? [name_f]Victory[/name_f] is used in the song, so maybe [name_m]Victor[/name_m]? The word dove is in there, so [name_u]Callum[/name_u]? [name_m]David[/name_m] and Chord are in there too. Maybe even [name_m]Jeff[/name_m], [name_u]Scott[/name_u], or [name_m]Buckley[/name_m] after [name_m]Jeff[/name_m] [name_m]Buckley[/name_m]?

I love [name_m]Anthem[/name_m] and [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]/Leon for you!