Colin or Paul?

[name]Hi[/name],
Looking for a strategy to pick between [name]Colin[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] for our baby boy… we like both very much. Middle name [name]James[/name] is a family name and our last name is 1 syllable and starts with C and ends with a consonant.

I love that [name]Colin[/name] is a 2 syllable name,like the other first names in our family, but don’t like when people mispronounce it [name]Colon[/name]. Not sure how often that would happen. Husband doesn’t like the spelling [name]Collin[/name], and I prefer [name]Colin[/name] too. I think CJ is a cuter nickname that PJ, but I love that [name]Paul[/name] is a very warm name… I picture a charming man when he grows up…

Any tips? I am nervous to wait until we meet him, in case we’re still undecided!

Thank you!

I like [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] a lot! [name]Colin[/name] seems very modern and I’ve never heard anyone pronounce [name]Colin[/name]/[name]Collin[/name] like “colon”. Besides, [name]Paul[/name] feels dated to me and I think [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] sounds quite choppy. [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] is adorable!

Good luck!

I know several [name]Collins[/name] so normally I would pick [name]Paul[/name]. However, [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] is rather abrupt. I definitely prefer [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name]. I would not worry about the colon mispronunciation, [name]Colin[/name] seems to be a fairly common name now so I think it would be a non issue.

[name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] sounds better, but [name]Paul[/name] is the better name.

I prefer [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name]. [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] - both one syllable so it doesn’t have the right flow, [name]IMO[/name]. I knew a [name]Colin[/name] spelled that way and he never had his name mispronounced, if that helps. Anyone who would pronounce [name]Colin[/name] like [name]Colon[/name] has a problem because -in and -on are clearly pronounced differently, haha. Go with [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name]! And you’re right, CJ > PJ :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Colin[/name] over [name]Paul[/name]. I do prefer [name]Collin[/name] or [name]Collen[/name] personally though. [name]Colin[/name] does remind me a little of the word colon, but not enough to completely deter me from the name. Good luck!

[name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] is nice-Never heard of [name]Colon[/name] (What is wrong with those people who say it that way)!

I prefer [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name], I like the nickname [name]Cole[/name] as I’m not really a fan of initial nicknames.

I like both! I agree [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] is a little staccato but I still find that it works. I also wouldn’t worry about [name]Colin[/name]/[name]Colon[/name]. Are you in the US? I think the [name]Colon[/name] prn might have had a short day in the sun when [name]Colin[/name] [name]Powell[/name] was Secretary of State, as that’s how he said it. [name]Even[/name] if you’re not in the US maybe that still carried over to other parts of the Anglosphere? With him out of the limelight as much, I think that’ll be much less common. I’ve known a few Colins of various ages and people have said their names correctly without fail to the best of my knowledge. Good luck!

I don’t like [name]Colin[/name] at all and here in Australia he was the subject of a comedy show and was the ultimate ‘dill brain’.

My thoughts exactly!:slight_smile: [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] are both handsome names.

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Colin[/name]-- and [name]Colin[/name] [name]James[/name] sounds great together. I can’t imagine people would mispronounce it often, and corrections are easy. Wouldn’t be deterred in the least.

[name]Colin[/name] is the French form of [name]Columba[/name], a Scottish saint, which is why [name]Colin[/name] is so prominent in the Commonwealth. The only place [name]Colin[/name] has been consistently pronounced as “coh-lin” is in the US [name]Air[/name] Force, because of a very famous fighter pilot who flew against Japan. [name]Colin[/name] [name]Powell[/name] and most US services sons named [name]Colin[/name] use that pronunciation because of that. My bf in university was the daughter of the CO at the local AF base and her brother [name]Colin[/name] was named for the exact same reason.

Perhaps people should look up the reasons for pronunciation differences before they make judgments.

That being said, I definitely prefer [name]Colin[/name] to [name]Paul[/name].

I like [name]Paul[/name] [name]James[/name] actually. It is so classic and strong. I know lots of [name]Collins[/name] but I only know 1 [name]Paul[/name] and he is in his 30’s so it seems fresh for baby :smiley: