Combo names..like or dislike?

Out of curiosity I just wanted to know fellow name experts take on double digit names. I love combo names. My eldest daughter is named DanniJune ([name]Danny[/name] after my father and [name]June[/name] after my grandmother). So what is all of your takes on combo names and if you do like them whats some of your favorites?

Combo names have pluses and minuses.

On the upside, they’re excellent for compacting the names of two loved ones into one. I have a friend named [name]Callie[/name] (for a calla lily) [name]Jo[/name] (for her mother [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jo[/name]). They can also be used to combine two names, if you can’t decide which one you like better.

On the downside, they can sound made up, unnatural, and mooshed together.

Combo names peaked in the nineteen forties, so they can sound a little dated. It really depends on the name, though. Some names just get dated faster than others, and the truly beautiful and not just trendy names stick around longer.

You can group combo names into three categories. The first are names like [name]Joann[/name] and [name]Ellamae[/name], two names put together into one word. The second are hyphenated names like [name]Sarah[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] and [name]Kelly[/name]-[name]June[/name]. The third category is separated combo names. Often, these are just the first and middle name said together, like [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rae[/name] or [name]Rufus[/name] [name]John[/name].

Another interesting thing to note is that combo names are used much more for girls than girls than boys.

I tend to like the third category best, but have favorites from every category.

From the first:
[name]Roseanna[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Annalise[/name]

From the second:
[name]Miranda[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]-[name]Katherine[/name]

From the third:
[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Genevra[/name] [name]Clare[/name]

I agree, it is a matter of personal taste, but can be used to combine two names you love and can’t decide between, or to honour two special people - or . . . . some people just like them!! I have to say that of the people I know who have named a child a “combo” name, once that child gets to their teens, they inevitably want to drop one of those names. I know a [name]Laura[/name] [name]Kate[/name], who was ALWAYS [name]Laura[/name] [name]Kate[/name] until she got to about 10 and now is just [name]Laura[/name]. Then my other daughter had a friend called [name]Chelsie[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name] (hyphenated), and she is now just [name]Chelsie[/name]. So just to be aware of these things!

xxx