Comment for a name! (Eileithyia)

Many of you probably know that I have a massive master list of names, nearing 20,000. I like every single name on this list, and I’m pretty proud of it. Before I share all of it, I thought it would be fun if we did the name equivalent of “comment for a song”.

I will give you a boy name, and a girl name. I have about 12,000 girl names and 8,000 boy names, so your lucky name will be completely random. I will give you the origin and meaning of the name too.

For additional fun, reply and tell me what you think of the name.

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to request multiple names!

17 Likes

I’m stuck tonight. I’ll take a name. Hopefully it will fit in or inspire me.

2 Likes

Oo this is such a great idea! I’d love one :grin:

1 Like

!!! stoked for this :grin:

1 Like

How neat! I’d love one too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Ooh yes please!! This is such a fun idea–and that sounds like an amazing list :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yes, please! [name_f]My[/name_f] girls’ list is in need of some inspiration. Would you mind doing multiples, please?

1 Like

I’d also love one for each gender, please! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Fun!!! I’d love a pair :relaxed:

1 Like

Sorry in advance if not all meanings are 100% correct. This is entirely a passion project and I can’t guarantee the meanings are entirely authentic. Please feel free to research them yourselves if you wish!! :slight_smile:

@shells15
I’ll give you a few since you’re feeling stuck!

Girls

• Clare ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “[name_u]Bright[/name_u], clear”
  • Kaitlyn (Irish) “Pure”
  • Dahlia (Scandanavian) “Dahl’s flower” (You got one of my all time favorites, [name_u]Shelley[/name_u]!)
  • Zsoka (Hungarian) “God is my oath”
  • Hosanna (Greek/Hebrew) “[name_f]Praise[/name_f] for salvation”

Boys

• Daire (Irish) “Fruitful”
  • Khachig (Armenian) “Small cross”
  • Zealand ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “From the [name_u]Sea[/name_u] land”
  • Stephanus (Latin) “Crown, garland”
  • Blaise ([name_u]French[/name_u]/English) “Lisping”

@katkabet
I’m not sure how many you want, so I’ll default to 3 per gender for anyone who doesn’t specify!

Girls

• Or (Hebrew) “[name_u]Light[/name_u]”
  • Arpi (Armenian) “[name_u]Sun[/name_u]”
  • Karla (Scandanavian) “Womanly strength”

(It’s such a cool coincidence that two of your names that came out have really similar meanings!)
Boys

• Dean ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “[name_f]Valley[/name_f]”
  • Ivaylo (Bulgarian) “[name_u]Wolf[/name_u]”
  • Skylar ([name_m]Dutch[/name_m]) “Scholar”

@sgsg8

Girls

• Frida (Swedish) “[name_u]Peace[/name_u]”
  • Jancey ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “God is gracious”
  • Lee ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “Pasture, meadow”

Boys

• Thaddeus (Aramaic) “[name_u]Gift[/name_u] of God”
  • Sutton ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “From the southern hoemstead”
  • Emmanuel (Hebrew) “God is with us”

@the_common_fool

Girls

• Airen (Hebrew) “[name_m]Mountain[/name_m] of strength”
  • Rosalyn (Latin) “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]”
  • Lorain ([name_u]French[/name_u]) “From the province of [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]”

Boys

• Septimus (Latin) “Seventh”
  • Willis (Norse) “Resolute protection”
  • Sabik (Arabic) “One who comes in first”

@VioletMoon

Girls

• Aliah ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “High, lofty”
  • Chantelle ([name_u]French[/name_u]) “[name_m]Stone[/name_m]” (Awww, you got my best friend’s name!)
  • Aanya (Hebrew) “[name_f]Grace[/name_f]”

Boys

• Zayn (Arabic) “Beauty, grace”
  • Bay (Latin) “[name_u]Berry[/name_u]”
  • Henrick (Danish/Hungarian) “Estate ruler”

@dandy_orchid

Girls

• Egypt (Greek) “[name_u]Temple[/name_u] of the soul”
  • Isabella (Hebrew via Greek/Latin) “God is my oath”
  • Gizelda ([name_m]German[/name_m]) “Pledge; hostage”

Boys

• Harp ([name_f]Music[/name_f] name)
  • Calypso (Greek) “He/she who hides”
  • Isaiah (Hebrew) “[name_u]Salvation[/name_u] of the [name_m]Lord[/name_m]”

@anon57824181
Sure! Since you’re feeling uninspired I’ll give you 8 girl names instead of both. :slight_smile:

Girls

• Erin (Irish) “From the island to the west”
  • Liliona (Invented) This is one of my close friend’s daughter’s name! She made the name up to honor some really amazing people in her life, so this is a very special name in my heart.
  • Aaliyah (Arabic) “High”
  • Didi ([name_f]Pet[/name_f] name for [name_f]Diana[/name_f]) Meaning unknown
  • Aïda (Arabic) “[name_u]Happy[/name_u]”
  • Jolene (Modern invented name) Meaning unknown
  • Xiara (American) Meaning unknown
  • Mariene (Medieval [name_u]French[/name_u]) “Drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved”

@w8src

Girls

• Mullady (Irish Surname) Meaning unknown
  • Philippa (Greek) “Lover of horses”
  • Hannele (Hebrew) “[name_f]Grace[/name_f]”

Boys

• Kirby ([name_f]English[/name_f]) “Church settlement”
  • Cuauhtemoc (Aztec) "Descending eagle”
  • Zareb ([name_m]Unknown[/name_m] African Region) “[name_m]Guardian[/name_m]”

@rhodes2nowhere

Girls

• Alizah (Hebrew) “[name_f]Joy[/name_f]”
  • Yvelise ([name_u]French[/name_u]) Meaning unknown
  • Abeni (Yoruba) “We asked for her, now she is ours”

Boys

• Garabed (Armenian) “Forerunner”
  • Francoise ([name_u]French[/name_u]) “[name_u]Free[/name_u] man”
  • Egan (Irish) “[name_m]Little[/name_m] fire”

11 Likes

Thank you! I love [name_f]Alizah[/name_f], [name_m]Egan[/name_m], and [name_f]Abeni[/name_f]! And they have the sweetest meanings :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Aw thank you!

Frida is so adorable and I actually have her on my list as the combo [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]!
I’d never heard of [name_f]Jancey[/name_f] but I actually love it! It combines [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] and the J names that run in my family so it could also make a cool honor.
I never really thought of [name_u]Lee[/name_u] on a girl but it’s actually so cute and I love the meaning!

Thaddeus is such a cool name and I like [name_m]Tad[/name_m] as a nickname.
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u] is really cool too!
[name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] is probably my favorite of the boys! It’s so stunning and peaceful sounding. Also [name_m]Manny[/name_m] would be such a cute nickname for a little boy :pleading_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I love [name_f]Hannele[/name_f], [name_u]Kirby[/name_u], and Zareb! I do associate [name_u]Kirby[/name_u] with the animated character, though. [name_f]Hannele[/name_f] is also on my list! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love some names, thank you !!

1 Like

@eileithyia Your best friend has one of my favorite name crushes! I’ve never been brave enough to add [name_f]Chantelle[/name_f] to my list but this is probably a sign, it’s beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] also makes my heart melt, I can see myself using these 2 in particular.

[name_m]Zayn[/name_m] & [name_f]Aanya[/name_f] are intriguing, I’ve considered these gems before too actually! But the meaning of [name_m]Zayn[/name_m] is so lovely, how can I resit adding these as well? Thank you for these! :star_struck:

1 Like

this is so sweet and fun!! I’d love some names if you get the chance, please!! as many as you’d like :relaxed:
(I’m currently redoing my lists, and have desperately wanted to find some new loves or ideas, so this is perfect!!)

1 Like

@eileithyia These are great! I’ve hooked into a couple already: [name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_m]Daire[/name_m], Zealand & [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]. [name_f]Zsoka[/name_f] and Khachig have got my interest. Also, scrolling through, Arpi & Ivaylo (katkabet’s), Airen (the_common_fool’s - the 1st for others that caught my attention), and Zareb (w8src’s) caught my eye.

Two of the names have already given me an idea that will hopefully work well. I’ll pm you when I figure out how to work it in.

2 Likes

I’d like a name, please😁

1 Like

!!! I’d love a name :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much! What a beautiful range of names :blush:

1 Like