Comments on these names?

Hello all,

Here is my “short list” of girls’ names. If any of you have any commentary to contribute, please let me know. Which of these names do you like? Which don’t you like? Why? Any negative connotations? What would someone with this name look like, in your mind? What personality does it evoke? Things like that.

The list:
[name_u]Shelby[/name_u]
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

Thanks in advance for your input!

P.S. I already know the [name_m]German[/name_m] folklore story of the [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. I don’t consider it to be a negative connotation.

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u]: I’m not too keen. It’s a bit insubstantial in my opinion. The only name on your list I personally really don’t like. (And it reminds me of a diner, for some weird reason)
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]: cute. I really like the nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f]: nice!
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]: nothing wrong with it but starting to be a bit overused where we live.
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]: haven’t heard that one in quite some time. I actually really love it :)!
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f]: pretty and timeless.
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]: nice
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]: I’m not too fond of that one but there’s nothing wrong with it.
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]: so cute.
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]: too close to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], which is overdone. But it is a very nice name.
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]: [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is so beautifuL. [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] is still nice but just a bit “meh” compared to [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] imo.
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]: cute but a bit weak

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] are my favourites but most of the names on your list are really nice.

Shelby - I really like it. It’s so cute but not cutesy. It feels really ‘Amercian’ to me, not sure why.

Shoshanna -i quite like it. It sounds intriguing but I have to admit, the only time I’ve heard it was when reading a critical article about the turn of the screw by shoshana felman so it’s always linked to that book in my mind

Gwendolyn - I like Gwen, but Im not personally a fan of Gwendolyn. Its a little clunky to me but it does have great nicknames, like Gwen or Dolly

Violet - simple but very pretty. I like how it feels both cute yet sharp and mature

Bianca - I quite like Bianca. It has such a fun sound to it

Anna-Maria - not a fan personally but there’s nothing wrong with it. It feels solid and sturdy

Magdalena - I really like it! So many possible nicknames and a long pretty full name.

Jillian - Jillian is so sweet, I love the Jilly sound

Lorelei - Lorelei is lovely -modern yet mythical sounding

Amelie - I love it! One of my favourites :slight_smile: so soft, familiar but not over used, and so pretty

Carolyn - I prefer Caroline personally, but Carolyn is sweet too. Pretty, classic and beautiful

Cecilia - I really like it. It sounds so grand and stunning, but it’s also fairly short when written down.

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u] -eh, this name doesn’t do anything for me. I think it’s ok, but to me it always feels a little… coming up short. I only know one [name_u]Shelby[/name_u], and that person definitely hasn’t left the best impression on me which is probably why I feel the way I do.

[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] -what a beautiful name! I’d love to see this name being used! It’s so pretty, and I don’t actually know much about the name/meaning/history etc, but for some reason it gives me a very outdoorsy, natural feel. It feels free spirit, at home in the trees and gardens and one with nature.

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] -I really like this name even tho it’s quite different from my usual style. It feels versatile, like it can be serious or fun, clunky or elegant. In some ways its vintage, but it also feels like its coming back in so I can get a more modern feel sometimes too. A really great, well balanced name.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] -a pretty colour and pretty flower. It’s nms, but I can see the appeal for others. Seems very solid and usable.

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] -this name is so fun and spunky! It always sounds like a smiling and laughing name to me. Like a little stream quickly flowing over little stones. I’d like to meet a girl or woman with this name.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f] -very pretty and elegant. I like the name [name_f]Annmarie[/name_f] myself, so this is just a little elaboration, and it makes for a beautiful, rhythmic name!

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] -I like to suggest this name to people! It’s beautiful and versatile, goes with many names and styles. Plus nickname options!

[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] -a nice, fun name. I sometimes get a bit of a dated feel from it, because of the [name_f]Jill[/name_f] maybe? But that’s just fine, it’s just not my style! I agree with a pp that its sounds nice, its fun to say!

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] -a lovely name. For some reason I get a bold feeling from [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. Big, curly hair. A vibrant personality. Confidence. [name_u]Bright[/name_u] colours.

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] -a beautiful, soft name. It comes out so smoothly when you say it, and it looks so cohesive. Everything about this name is just pretty.

[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] -a fine, stately name.

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] -such a beautiful vintage. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] feels so lacey and frilly to me, but in a soft and understated way. Very lovely.

I like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - lovely vintage chic, lots of personality
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] (though prefer [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] -feels more classic to me). Like the sounds, love many 50s style names, like [name_f]Jilly[/name_f] nn.
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] - sweet
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - sophisticated, elegant.

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u]: I think it is beautiful (although I grew up with a girl named [name_u]Shelby[/name_u] who loved turtles…so the whole “shell”/turtle association will always be in my mind, but it makes me smile). Easy to spell. Feminine. Versatile (I can picture it on a girl by any personality or profession). The only negative association I can really think of is that it was the surname of a slave owner in Uncle [name_m]Tom[/name_m]'s Cabin. Personality/features…it makes me think of my aforementioned classmate…a small, sprite of a girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, and freckles, who loves soccer and horseback riding.

[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f]: I don’t think I’ve heard this one before! It reminds me of [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. I’m honestly not a fan of the “shoss” sounds and it comes off the tongue odd. Maybe it’s just because it is unfamiliar to me, though…

: I know a little [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] “[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]” who is just under a year old :slight_smile: I think it is beautiful, although it isn’t one that I would likely choose myself. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though this name makes me picture an especially studious girl, I can see it working on any type of girl.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f]: One of my favorite names! I love the flower, the color, everything about it! It brings to my mind an image of a very kind, sweet, dark-haired girl who loves to smile. Unfortunately, many on here have said that it sounds too much like “violent”, which has somewhat stuck in my mind now…pity.

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]: This one reminds me of Miss [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] from The Rescuers :slight_smile: other than that mouse, it makes me picture someone exotic and beautiful. I’m not usually a fan of B names on girls, but I do like this one!

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
: This feels very “old-world-y”. I’ve had a few ancestors by this name, so maybe that is why. I prefer [name_f]Anna[/name_f] by itself, but this is fine too!

: Another old-timey name. I like it a lot. I think the many nickname possibilities make this a very versatile name…like I could see someone wanting to use this as an honor name, but making it “fresh” by using nicknames like [name_f]Mags[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], or [name_f]Lena[/name_f].

[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]: It’s pretty. This was actually my stillborn cousin’s name, so it evokes a bit of sadness in me, but there is nothing wrong with the name itself. I prefer [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] to [name_f]Jill[/name_f], because I image the “where’s [name_m]Jack[/name_m]?” jokes get very old very fast.

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]: [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls. Definitely [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls. Which is actually a good thing, because I think that [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] mother/daughter duo goes to show how people can wear this name differently. I love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname, but I think the fact that it is so very recognized as a nickname could be a drawback for you, if you don’t like it.

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]: It looks pretty, but I don’t know how to pronounce it. “A-mel-ie”? “a-millie?” Sorry :confused:

[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]: I prefer [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. Nothing personal…I just don’t really like -lyn/-lynn names very much.

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]: I had a kindly home economics teacher by this name and a friend recently named her baby this, so I think it is definitely usable these days! I will agree with others that it has a vintage, frilly, sophisticated, and elegant feel to it.

My favorites would have to be [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Shelby[/name_u], [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f], and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f].

[name_u]SHELBY[/name_u] - I’m not overly fussed on this name mostly due to bad relations but I also think it feels really dated.

[name_f]SHOSHANNA[/name_f] - I’m not sure to be honest. Is does look kind of pretty though.

[name_f]GWENDOLYN[/name_f] - the name [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] has started to grow on me recently but I still am not fond of [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]. This is just personal taste but in general I don’t think it’s horrible.

[name_f]VIOLET[/name_f] - love! The nickname [name_f]Vi[/name_f] is cute too.

[name_f]BIANCA[/name_f] - I’m not sure how I feel about [name_f]Blanca[/name_f]. I think it depends on the sibset as well as middle names. I do think it is slightly dated however could work beautifully.

[name_f]ANNA[/name_f]-[name_f]MARIA[/name_f] - I think this is such as sweet name! It flows of the tongue beautifully.

[name_f]MAGDALENA[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] over [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]. Really not a fan, sorry!

[name_f]JILLIAN[/name_f] - feels incredibly dated.

[name_f]LORELEI[/name_f] - I think this is a really spunky underused name. I quite like it - however I love [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls so…

[name_f]AMELIE[/name_f] - love love love!

[name_f]CAROLYN[/name_f] - I don’t mind it but prefer the spelling [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. It feels a little plain though.

[name_f]CECELIA[/name_f] - I despise this name but only due to bad relations. I do think it is kind of pretty though.

So I love [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f] (in that order)! I also like [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] :).

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u]
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] meaning, sound and nicknames
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - Fun and romantic
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] - See [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] - Really sweet

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] - Nice name but I hate nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

DISLIKE
[name_u]Shelby[/name_u] - Sounds dated and kind of ugly to me.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f] - I know like 3 [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f]'s and I dislike hyphenated names
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] - See [name_u]Shelby[/name_u]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] - I dislike this spelling and pronunciation of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] which I find boring anyway

[name_u]Love[/name_u]:
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

[name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] are three of my favorite names! I think they’re all incredibly beautiful. I fell in love with [name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] when I first heard it in the movie Inglourious Basterds (though it mightve been spelt differently!)
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] are all stunning, sweet names and I’d love to meet a little girl with one of them!

I’ve never been a fan of the name [name_u]Shelby[/name_u], though it could be because I’ve known one who wasn’t that great of a person.
The other names are all fine names, just not my style. You have a really nice list!!

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u] – I find this rather heavy and dated myself.
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] – I’m not overly keen on the shosh sound to me honest, though it’s a nice enough name. I’d prefer [name_f]Shoshana[/name_f], as it feels tidier to me.
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] – Nice, though I’m not all too keen on the -lyn ending, likely due to the recent trend of -lyn ending modern names. I prefer [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f].
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] – A nice little classic.
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] – Nice, though a little dated to me.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f] – Both names are nice and simple and sound good together.
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] – Nice.
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] – Very dated in my eyes; not keen. I’d prefer the [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] spelling too, as the G just seems to look better than the J here to me.
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] – A nice classy yet not overly traditional name.
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] – [name_f]Lovely[/name_f].
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] – Again with the -lyn. Also again I feel it to be very dated. I’d prefer [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] myself, though I’m not a big fan in general.
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] – A little dated, but light and classy and I think it could work well today.

Favourites: [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] & [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f].
Least favourites: [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] & [name_u]Shelby[/name_u].

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u]–I agree with the diner connotation. It’s the name of a character in the TV show [name_m]Hart[/name_m] of [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] and her character is a bit over the top–pretty loud and a cabaret performer. So that’s definitely what I picture.
[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f]–I find the name a bit hard to say out loud. It reminds me of a kid whose parents are hippies, with kind of wild hair, possibly dreadlocks from a very early age.
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]–While I know it’s not the same, I think of [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. [name_m]Long[/name_m] long blond blond blond hair (like [name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f]-like).
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]–Like it, but I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Viola[/name_f] so I would always pick [name_f]Viola[/name_f] first. Dark hair. Great nickname, “[name_f]Vi[/name_f]”, built in!
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]–[name_u]Boo[/name_u] hiss! Sorry, all I can think of is the snotty younger sister in Taming of the Shrew (or 10 Things I Hate About You).
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f]–I like it. It’s solid. She seems like a helpful, hardworking person. In this vein, however, I’d probably use [name_u]Marion[/name_u] or Meiriona first.
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]–One of my favorites. Similar qualities of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f], actually. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_f]Lena[/name_f], or [name_f]Mags[/name_f].
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]–Small girl, petite. Nice smile.
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]–This will only ever be the [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls to me. Or it seems like it belongs to someone else’s culture to the point that I cannot use it.
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]–I think of the film, so I think of a whimsical, playful, shy, creative brunette. It’s in that bracket of “favorite names I nonetheless wouldn’t use myself”.
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]–Okay. I have had friends named [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], and I like them, so I cannot dislike the name. But it doesn’t stand out to me.
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]–“You’re breaking my heart, your shaking my confidence daily…” A song about a dog. Like the name. Can’t use it.

Edited to add: Favorites in bold!

[name_u]Shelby[/name_u] – cute but feels kinda dated; definitely a 90’s name here

[name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] – can’t really see the appeal of this one (sorry)

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] – love it! strong and feminine

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] – beautiful and classy

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] – pretty with a great European vibe

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f] – not a fan of hyphenated names, but [name_f]Annamaria[/name_f] or [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] even [name_f]AnnaMaria/name_f would be sweet

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] – [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]

[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] – personally not loving it, but nn [name_f]Jill[/name_f] is nice

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] – just nms, but I understand that other people really seem to love it right now so it probably makes a good choice:)

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] – I like it, but I personally prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] – kind of an “old lady” name anymore; try [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]?

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] – elegant and charming sound

My favorites are:
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f].
I dont like [name_u]Shelby[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. I dont have any negative connotations with them though.

Shelby - Idk why I just don’t like this, I prefer [name_u]Shelly[/name_u]
Shoshanna - too over the top hippy
Gwendolyn - this is a boys name in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] where I’m from (as -yn ending names are boys names here). I dont like [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] either though.
Violet - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, so cute and love [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] as a nn
Bianca - I like it.
Anna-Maria - [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is fine
Magdalena - Not a fan
Jillian - far too outdated
Lorelei - its cute but a bit of a mouthful
Amelie - i like it, its sweet but I prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f]
Carolyn - again, too outdated
Cecilia - sweet!