Common in England, Rare in US

Jessica, [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Amber[/name_f] are surprising! I didn’t know those names were so popular in the UK.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is beautiful!! I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on in the US actually. Haha, yes it does make it a little awkward when trying to suggest unique names for us lot :joy: I personally really love [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] etc so i’m not terribly fussed about their popularity here. I’m also only 17 so hoping that these names will have dwindled back down the charts by the time i have children (fingers crossed). xxx

1 Like

yes, she most likely is one of the greatest factors in the name’s popularity over here. An amazing woman generally but especially for the period she lived in.

1 Like

Amazed at how rare these are in the US, particularly [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]! I know people with most of these names.

1 Like

Oh wow! A lot of these are names that I hear for a lot of older folks but not that many toddlers- specifically [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], and [name_f]Martha[/name_f]! I’m especially surprised at [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], and [name_f]Martha[/name_f].
I would expect [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] to be a lot higher on the US list, I feel like I know so many! Same with [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], and [name_f]Aisha[/name_f].
I know a few teenage/young twentie-d Bonnies, Jessicas, Freyas- [name_f]Freya[/name_f] definitely seems to be gaining traction!
This is really interesting, thanks for posting :smiley:

2 Likes

The British list is fairly similar to the Australian one, although there are certain surprises for me like [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], which isn’t popular here at all (I must say, I don’t get the appeal!). But names like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] etc are very popular, so it’s always interesting when they are suggested as more unusual names by some - although totally understandable based on US statistics.

It’s also interesting to see that [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], my daughter’s name, is more popular in the UK than in Australia. It’s not really a surprise though; I feel [name_f]England[/name_f]’s proximity to [name_f]France[/name_f] would play a role in that. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s not in the top 100 here, I imagine it would be in the top 200 easily. I’d actually be really interested to know exactly what number it is…

2 Likes

They don’t surprise me but that’s because I’m a bit aware of UK vs US naming trends. I have met young girls named [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]!

1 Like

I’d be interested to see this list vs [name_f]Canada[/name_f], as I think our list may fall somewhere in the middle.

1 Like

In my experience, the most common style of baby name for girls in the UK is vintage or flower and I guess this list really reflects that. This is definitely mine and my husband’s style, vintage traditional and slightly whimsical so I guess we fit the British stereotype!

The name that always surprises me though is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] because I think it’s really dated now but in a bad way, I feel like it’s more a name of my generation, so girls born in the late 80s early 90s and I just don’t think it’s been long enough for that name to be classed as vintage or fashionable again yet!

1 Like

odd how the difference is soooooo big! [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] was one of the biggest surprises, but also [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Martha[/name_f]!

1 Like

Florence and [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]!
It’s all so interesting though :joy:

1 Like

This is a big reason why I love so many names from the UK and why I use the [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] list to make my own :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a bit surprised by [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] though, because I know a few little girls with those names!

Further down the list, I’m also surprised by [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] (132 vs. 808)!

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I live in the UK so many of these names just seem “normal” to me. I assume the differences are due to different ethnic populations, histories and trends between the two countries. I would be interested in reading the names that are very popular in the US but not popular in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. I find it hard to talk about popularity on Nameberry since some US favourites like [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] aren’t very popular in the UK at all.

1 Like

Agreed! I’d love to see this list reversed!

2 Likes

you’re definitely right about the Germanic, [name_u]French[/name_u] and Norse influence. It’s similar as to how Spanish, Portugese, Carribean and [name_u]South[/name_u] American cultures have impacted the US lists.
I do love a lot of our names, I think they’ll make their way over to you in the next few years or so x fingers crossed :joy:

1 Like

Me too!! They’re so common here aren’t they (for a range of ages too).

you’re welcome! Yes we do love a good vintage, ‘old-lady’ name over here! :joy: The lack of popularity for [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] in the US surprised me too, especially given the Friends reference ( or maybe that’s off putting for some people). [name_f]Margot[/name_f] always surprises me too!

1 Like

Interesting to hear an Australian perspective! I’ve been looking for the Australian top 1000 lists for a while and can’t seem to find them anywhere. [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is gorgeous, I must say!! I would guess that it is in the top 200 too given the popularity of [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] etc.

I think many of ‘our’ names are reaching the states given the rise in vintage names :))

1 Like

Yes! I think your summary of our names is very accurate! I love them too, very stereotypical of me :joy:
I completely agree about [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], it does seem very dated. I often wonder if people chose it purely for the [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] nickname? xx