Common in England, Rarer in US

I’m surprised by [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]. I’d definitely expect it to be higher in the UK, but I figured it’d rank somewhere around 500 here in the US. It may change due to the birth of the royal baby, though. After all, it’s said [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] had a surge due to Mrs. Markle herself.

This goes to show that Brits love their diminutives!

1 Like

This is such an interesting list! It definitely shows my naming style is very British :joy: A few I’m surprised at are [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_m]Jenson[/name_m] and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] – they all seem like they’d fit in more with the US list than the UK one.

And @GenEric the latest royal baby is [name_m]Archie[/name_m], which is a little higher than [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] but still very low! I think it’ll definitely have jumped when the new data comes out.

1 Like

This is my current problem, I’m from UK and my favourite boys name is [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] but it’s so popular here!

1 Like

Ah, I got confused! I’m afraid I don’t keep up with the royal family much, though I sometimes hear us Americans care for them more than actual Brits. :laughing:

3 Likes

Jenson was probably the only one that really shocked me too given that the Surname as Firstname style is more common in the US. It may be the norse influenece.
I think [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] etc is simply a matter of the nickname style once more. I think Americans much prefer full names, whilst there are most likely lots of American boys called [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] their full names are probably [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] etc.
Yes! The [name_u]Riley[/name_u] thing confused me for a second too but that’s another big difference between the US and the UK. Gender neutral names often become more popular for the other gender. [name_u]Riley[/name_u] is definitely more popular for boys, same with [name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] etc.

Interesting!! Thank you for this :))

1 Like

interesting!! Are the [name_u]Riley[/name_u]’s predominantly boys or girls? xx

we definitely love a good nickname. Names like [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_m]Archie[/name_m], etc have been pretty popular for a while here tbh, even without the royal influence of baby [name_m]Archie[/name_m]. :))

Riley is most likely the Irish influence as [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] would be from the Welsh! But I agree that they seem like Surnames as Firstnames which is a style that definitely fits in better with the US name style! xx

1 Like

So frustrating!! I feel the same with the girls list with [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]!!

Ah, that makes sense!