Concerned about mean nick names..

Okay, so at the beginning of the pregnancy, hubby and I were on vacation in [name]France[/name] and we were looking at baby names and we came across [name]Ophelia[/name] and we were madly in love with it. Especially with the middle names we’d want for a girl… [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Marilyn[/name]… Sounds so romantic to me. Then my hubby starts to obsess over people taunting her in the future with things like “[name]FEEL[/name] YA”. It seems to have ruined it for him. I say, if children are going to mean, they will find a way to be mean, regardless of the name. I still love the name. Of course the other thing people have brought up is they feel it’s too dark or depressing because of the Shakespearean character… but I think that only adds to the romance.

Does “[name]FEEL[/name] YA” come to mind when you see the name? [name]Do[/name] you think it’d be a common taunt? I mean… hopefully people won’t be taunting her in general… :slight_smile:

When I first heard the name I liked it. Then someone said it out loud, and all I heard was “Oh, feel ya?” Like someone had asked to be felt and the person responded with that. In my opinion it is way too easily a target for other children. It would almost be like naming a child “Otuchia”, except for the fact that Otuchia isn’t a name.

It is true that if children want to be mean they will find a way, but I feel like the name [name]Ophelia[/name] is like putting the reason right in front of their face.

Sorry if this sounded rude, it is just my opinion. I DID like the name and I would use it but It just has sooooo much potential for bullying.

I actually never would have thought about “Oh, feel ya” teasing, but there have been threads on [name]Ophelia[/name] and a lot of people think it’s unusable because of that. I think it’s a beautiful name, but between the awfully depressing namesake, closeness to ‘pedophilia’, and teasing potential, I would look somewhere else.