Confused and exhausted finding the "right" name....

Hello everyone,

I have been"'lurking" on these boards for a while and I am so impressed with comments from members that I decided to finally take a stab at it, and ask for your help :slight_smile:

We are having a little girl in a couple of months and we just can not find a name- well, I guess the correct way to say it is: I can not find a name. The first name/s we agreed on are a [name]Cora[/name] name- meaning we liked the idea of calling her [name]Cora[/name] as a nn with a longer name as her formal name. Considerations were [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Coraline[/name], [name]Coralynn[/name]. During the process of trying to decide which one, I thought we should keep looking, kept pushing it (dumb I know, I mean DH agreed why push it?! lol). I finally got him to make a list and the only name we each had was [name]Violet[/name]. So then we thought- ok thatā€™s her name! [name]Violet[/name]! Now I am having trouble with the name. I donā€™t know what it is about the name, I canā€™t put my finger on itā€¦is it a weak name? too girly? too old fashioned? too close to violent? Then there is the name I loveā€¦[name]Jovie[/name]. but I donā€™t know if I could name my little girl this. I am afraid people would automatically think [name]Jon[/name] Bon [name]Jovi[/name], especially family members. You see, I am a huge fan, yet the name has absolutely nothing to do with him. I first heard it in the movie ā€œElfā€ and instantly fell in love, I didnā€™t even think about Bon [name]Jovi[/name] until later on. It means joyful. My DH has pretty much given up and just said tell me her name when you decide (although he still calls her [name]Violet[/name]).

So my questions for you are what are your thoughts on the names? Cora____/[name]Violet[/name]/[name]Jovie[/name]? any suggestions? any ideas on what [name]Jovie[/name] could be a nn for? the middle name is a family name- [name]Elda[/name] (sorry no budging). not too worried about our last name since itā€™s unusual and she will probably change it when she is married anyways LOL. DS is [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]. Help set me strait or at least help point me in a good direction haha :slight_smile:

[name]TIA[/name] everyone, I really appreciate your help (and sorry for the super long post).

[name]Jovi[/name] could be a NN for [name]Giovanna[/name] which is Italian of course. The only person I know named [name]Giovanna[/name] pronouces her name Jah-vahna.

[name]Violet[/name] is OK but itā€™s a bit sweet for my taste.

As for names that could have [name]Cora[/name] for a NN I think the ones you listed are perfectly fine although [name]Cora[/name] by itself with a great middle name would be even better [name]IMO[/name]. Some suggestions:

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Cathleen[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] [name]Suzanne[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Elyse[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Lark[/name] (itā€™s a middle name I love but not sure how anyone else feels about it)
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Micaela[/name] (after your hubby)

Of course these middle names are mostly from my list of favs so thereā€™s a chance youā€™re look at them and say ā€œYukā€. Good luck with your search!!!

First off, Iā€™m a [name]Cora[/name] fanā€“I think it is very cute and matches well with [name]Matthew[/name]. I am an especially big fan of [name]Coraline[/name].

It seems like you both love the idea of [name]Violet[/name] (which I totally understand) and DH being a typical guy has latched onto it. Here are some thoughts about names like [name]Violet[/name]:
[name]Vivia[/name]
[name]Vivianne[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
or other flower names like:
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]

[name]Jovie[/name] is a whole different sort of nameā€“[name]Cora[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] both have a girly, vintagey feel whereas [name]Jovie[/name] feels spunky and modern. Iā€™m not wild about [name]Jovie[/name] honestly, because Iā€™m not sure I can picture it on an adult or that it matches [name]Matthew[/name]'s classicness. However, I totally get the feel that the name brings. Here are some other ā€œjoyfulā€ names:
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] (bringer of joy)
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Ellerie[/name] (cheerful)

Not sure if any of that helps, but at least you can think about some different names!

Good [name]Luck[/name]
T

I love [name]Cora[/name]. I think [name]Cora[/name] totally works as a stand alone name.

I agree with the previous poster, [name]Cora[/name] is a stand alone name. Although [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elda[/name] does have the greatest flow. [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Elda[/name] is really cute. [name]Violet[/name] is a really nice too. [name]Jovie[/name] however is a bit too much for my taste, and would foever be associated with Bon [name]Jovi[/name]. Not to mention, I think with a sibling named [name]Matthew[/name] a more traditional name would sound better.

Suggestions:
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Kira[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]

[name]Cora[/name] can for sure work as a standalone name. [name]Coralie[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name] is lovely, though, and have you thought about [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name]? Thatā€™s one of my favorites. With a classic name like [name]Matthew[/name], I would definitely stay away from [name]Coralynn[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] is lovely too, and the only problem I have with it is that itā€™s growing trendy. I donā€™t find it too sweet, weak, girly, or violent and definitely not too old-fashioned. I think itā€™s great with [name]Matthew[/name].

I definitely wouldnā€™t use [name]Jovie[/name] as a standalone name. Where did you find that it meant ā€˜joyā€™? To me it sounds like a diminutive of [name]Jove[/name], an epithet of the [name]Roman[/name] god [name]Jupiter[/name] ([name]Zeus[/name]). Or maybe thatā€™s just me as a mythology nerd. :slight_smile: I think it can be a nickname for:

[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Giovanna[/name]
[name]Jovana[/name]
[name]Josefina[/name]

My favorite is [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elda[/name] nn [name]Jovie[/name]; I think itā€™s adorable and great with [name]Matthew[/name]. If youā€™re open to the idea of two middles, you could use a J first name with [name]Violet[/name] as a middle name: [name]Julia[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Elda[/name], [name]Jane[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Elda[/name], etc.

So my votes in order are for [name]Cora[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name], [name]Violet[/name], and [name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Jovie[/name]. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Corlie[/name] or [name]Coraline[/name], with [name]Violet[/name] as a middle. Have you considered [name]Corrine[/name] or [name]Corinna[/name]? I love that one, and you can use [name]Cora[/name] as a nickname. I guess Iā€™m in the minority but I wouldnā€™t use [name]Cora[/name] as a full name.

I can see why youā€™re stuck - some great options!
[name]Cora[/name] - I like the nn [name]Cora[/name] too. My favorite longer form is [name]Coraline[/name] (with the long I) but I also like ppā€™s suggestion of [name]Corinne[/name]. I think this fits well with big brother [name]Matthew[/name], and works with middle name [name]Elda[/name].
[name]Violet[/name] - I personally donā€™t really like [name]Violet[/name], although I know most others do. I canā€™t help but see violent when I see it written. Also, it seems a bit trendy right now. But it is classic like [name]Matthew[/name] and I donā€™t find it childish or old-lady.
[name]Jovie[/name] - I love this name in Elf too but Iā€™m not sure it can make the switch to real life. It sounds nickname-y but Iā€™m not sure what it could be short for. Maybe [name]Joanna[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Joelle[/name]? I know lots of people think [name]Joanna[/name] is dated but I like it. [name]Joanna[/name] [name]Elda[/name] doesnā€™t have the best flow though. [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elda[/name] is pretty but not sure if itā€™s your style.

My vote: [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Elda[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name], [name]Joanna[/name] [name]Elda[/name] nn [name]Jovie[/name].

Good luck!

I like the suggestions of [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elda[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Elda[/name] from previous posters. Other options are [name]Jocelyn[/name] [name]Elda[/name] or [name]Jovita[/name] [name]Elda[/name] nn [name]Jovie[/name].

Well, Iā€™m sorry to say this, but my first thought was ā€˜Juvieā€™ when I saw ā€˜[name]Jovie[/name]ā€™. And I do think of [name]Jon[/name] Bon [name]Jovi[/name], but that actually wasnā€™t my first thought (obviously, haha). I like the name a lot, though - it feels sweet but has some type of spunky thing about it. I donā€™t know, itā€™s just got something ā€œgoing onā€ about it thatā€™s very charming.

That being said, I love [name]Violet[/name]. I think it is incredibly beautiful - charming, pretty, strong, spunky, sarcastic, beautiful. I just think it has everything, and the qualities of the name fit together so well. I just find it very endearing, if not more so then [name]Jovie[/name].

Also, I like [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name]. Very nice.

Thanks everyone! I have enjoyed reading all your comments.

I think we are going to go back to [name]Cora[/name]. One reason we donā€™t want to use it as a stand alone name is becuase I definitely donā€™t like it paired with [name]Elda[/name], and we are locked into that as a middle (itā€™s my [name]MIL[/name] and her mothers middle and mil has already been told). Thanks for the suggestions, I havenā€™t thought of [name]Corinna[/name]ā€¦hmmmm.

irisrose: you are correct about the association with [name]Jove[/name] (according to NB) :). On almost all other sites in which I ā€œpluggedā€ in the name it says joyful, also when I google it that shows up. Oh, and I didnā€™t say anything but she will have two middles, my ds does too, but the other middle is my last so there is no budging on that either haha.

Thanks again all! Your suggestions and comments are so helpful!!

Would you do [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Elda[/name] or [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Elda[/name]? [name]Both[/name] are pretty cute! [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elda[/name] is pretty silly sounding, I think, but a longer form, preferably not ending in a vowel, would be really original and fun! I like it!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

If you still have a couple of months, I would just try to get the short list together and let it mellow in your mind for a few weeks without returning to it or making any decisions. Iā€™m due in just under two months as well and I find I also get naming exhaustion and I tend to make short lists with my DH and then come back and refine them a few weeks later. One thing I find is that names that I liked at the beginning I sometimes went off but am now interested in again. Itā€™s like I tried to find reasons why they werenā€™t great names in order to narrow the list but then later I realized that they were in fact great names and there was a reason they were on the list! This may be the case for you with [name]Cora[/name] variants and [name]Violet[/name]. You may have thought up [name]Violet[/name] just to have an alternative to the [name]Cora[/name] names and are now realizing that itā€™s not the best, or alternatively, you may now be trying to be overly picky about [name]Violet[/name] and find yourself coming back to it in a couple of weeks.

Of your possibilities I actually think [name]Violet[/name] goes best with [name]Matthew[/name] and it does have a nice ring with [name]Elda[/name]. However, I think I might like [name]Coralie[/name] the best - thereā€™s something charming and spunky about it. [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Elda[/name] sounds better than [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elda[/name] by a long shot. I would stay away from [name]Corinna[/name] for the same reasons. [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Elda[/name], [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Elda[/name] and [name]Corinne[/name] [name]Elda[/name] are the best combos, [name]IMO[/name].