Confusing myself. The list (1st baby) Opinion please?

I was getting stressed out thinking about names all the time, so I decided just to let it simmer a while and revisit later. Sadly, 2 months later…and things aren’t any clearer.

Would love opinions on these names. Last name is 4 syllables and similar to Bartholemew. Also interested in other suggestions based on our list…even though our style IS all over the map.

This has been the hardest part of pregnancy!

GIRLS
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Elyse[/name]
[name]Fern[/name] (middle only)
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] (middle only)

BOYS
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] (middle only)
[name]August[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]

I like all of your girl names. With a long last name, though, you may want to avoid longer first names like [name]Cordelia[/name] (lovely as it is). [name]Fern[/name] is a family name (for [name]Fernande[/name]), and so I am very partial to it, although we, too, usually keep it in the middle. Perhaps I’m trapped among francophiles, but I love [name]Elyse[/name] [name]Fern[/name] or [name]Sabine[/name] [name]Fern[/name]. [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Wren[/name] I also like.

For the boy names, I think [name]Orson[/name] and [name]Ansel[/name] are better as names that wouldn’t be in roll call–like middle names. [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Graham[/name], [name]George[/name], and [name]Calvin[/name] are probably the most wearable–[name]Wyatt[/name] is pretty popular in various parts of the US (if that’s where you are). I really like [name]Graham[/name] or [name]George[/name] for wearability & monosyllabic (with a long last name) reasons. [name]Ivan[/name], [name]Linus[/name], and [name]Oscar[/name] would be next in order. [name]Arthur[/name] is a great middle name. [name]Graham[/name] [name]Arthur[/name], [name]George[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]–now I am stuck in Anglophilia…

From your list I like:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]

[name]George[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]

Lots of great names. I can see why you are having trouble! Maybe after you find out the sex of the baby you will have more clarity.

What a lovely list you have!

I love [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Linus[/name], [name]Arthur[/name] & [name]August[/name], and almost love [name]Alice[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Wren[/name] & [name]Edgar[/name].
The only names here I’m not overly keen on are [name]Elyse[/name] (I much prefer [name]Elise[/name]), [name]Vivian[/name] (I think of it as unisex, for a girl I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name]), [name]Dahlia[/name] (I just know it would be pronounced [name]DARL[/name]-ee-a here in Australia, which makes me cringe, but [name]DAY[/name]-lee-a is very sweet) & [name]Wyatt[/name] (very trendy; not handsome or sophisticated at all, in my opinion).
I like all of the others.

Good luck!

My favorites are

GIRLS
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] (I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name])

BOYS
[name]August[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]

For combos I like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Fern[/name] (favorite combo!), [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]August[/name] [name]Graham[/name], [name]Calvin[/name] [name]Arthur[/name], [name]George[/name] [name]Wyatt[/name], and [name]Graham[/name] [name]Linus[/name].

GIRLS
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] (middle only)

Fave combos, [name]Sabine[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Iris[/name]

BOYS
[name]August[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]

[name]Calvin[/name] [name]August[/name], [name]August[/name] [name]Linus[/name]

Hello. Your list is inspired, in my view. I love most of your names!
But here’s my critique anyway:

* Report this post

Confusing myself. The list (1st baby) Opinion please?

New postby gemekim ” Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm
I was getting stressed out thinking about names all the time, so I decided just to let it simmer a while and revisit later. Sadly, 2 months later…and things aren’t any clearer.

Would love opinions on these names. Last name is 4 syllables and similar to Bartholemew. Also interested in other suggestions based on our list…even though our style IS all over the map.

This has been the hardest part of pregnancy!

GIRLS
[name]Alice[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this, its very popular in the UK so I wouldn’t go for it. But such a soft, serene sound.
[name]Beatrice[/name]- I have a [name]Beatrix[/name], who I wavered over calling [name]Beatrice[/name]. I do love it, but there’s something formal about using [name]Beatrice[/name] for me. I worried it would be permanently shortened to [name]Bea[/name] and lie gathering dust.
[name]Cordelia[/name]- Obviously I love this name. I realise one shouldn’t have favourite names of those one has used, but this would be mine. It bewitches me, weird though that sounds.
[name]Dahlia[/name]- I like this but dislike how it sounds in lots of accents. If that makes sense. I also find it a mature name, for some reason. There’s something kind of sensual about [name]Dahlia[/name] to me.
[name]Elsa[/name]- Like this a lot. [name]Happy[/name], bright, warm name. [name]Little[/name] bit different but safely recognisable. Is that what you want from a name?
[name]Elyse[/name]- Dislike this one. Maybe its names ending in a sssss sound? [name]Don[/name]'t know. There’s something lispy there, for me. Plus the spelling lacks charm (again just in my humble opinion)
[name]Fern[/name] (middle only)- [name]Love[/name] it for a middle. Spunky!
[name]Iris[/name]- Seems to be gaining popularity fast, but maybe thats just on Nameberry. I adore [name]Iris[/name].
[name]Sabine[/name]- [name]Love[/name] the sound of it, hate the association with the raped [name]Sabine[/name] women. I couldn’t get over that I don’t think, in the first name spot for my child anyway. But meanings don’t figure so much to most people anyway. I think it would depend on whether it mattered to you personally.
[name]Sylvie[/name]- [name]Adore[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]. It reminds me of ‘silvery’ and has the wonderful Shakespearean connection. Another fab pick.
[name]Vivian[/name]- Like it, but only spelled [name]Vivienne[/name]. [name]Vivian[/name] to me looks abrupt. A good name, but it doesn’t excite me as the majority of your others do. [name]May[/name] also spike in popularity following [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]'s use of it? Not sure.
[name]Wren[/name] (middle only)- Like it. [name]Don[/name]'t love it, but an attractive choice.

BOYS
[name]Ansel[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name]. My favourite from your list. It sounds good on a man and charming on a boy.
[name]Arthur[/name] (middle only)- [name]Love[/name] it in the middle. Handsome, but playful through the [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] association. I think a little boy would enjoy having this middle name.
[name]August[/name]- Like it, don’t love it. I don’t really love any of the month names or season names though. They feel slightly generic to me.
[name]Calvin[/name]- Like it a lot. [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Hobbes[/name] makes it fun, the sound has a warmth and fun that boys names often lack imo. My only reserve would be that I can’t see it alongside some of your girls list. A [name]Calvin[/name] next to a little [name]Beatrice[/name] for instance, I just don’t see it!
[name]Desmond[/name]- Dislike this one
[name]Edgar[/name]- [name]Love[/name]! Joint favourite alongside [name]Ansel[/name]. Distinguished, and [name]Eddie[/name] is a sweet nickname.
[name]George[/name]- Like it in the middle, such a good name. But for me a little predictable in the first name spot.
[name]Graham[/name]- Not a fan. Reminds me of the cereal (don’t know if you have it where you are) ‘[name]Golden[/name] Grahams’
[name]Ivan[/name]- Like it. Lets all get past [name]Ivan[/name] the Terrible. It has the same feel as [name]Ivy[/name], to me. Cool.
[name]Linus[/name]- Like it, but forever forever entangled with the Peanuts cartoons. The associations may irritate a little boy beyond belief.
[name]Orson[/name]- Reminds me of orca whales. Good/bad? Not sure. Haha
[name]Oscar[/name]- Like it. Vintage chic. Very popular here in the UK though.
[name]Wyatt[/name]- Really dislike

[name]Hope[/name] this was of some help.
Keep us updated/ask any questions you have.
Or pm me if you want any more advice- as I said I love your style.
Take care!

harrietsmummy X

Thanks everyone! We decided to find out the sex, so that will help to narrow things down a bit!

From your list I like [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Iris[/name].
Have you considered [name]Wynne[/name] as a mn instead of [name]Wren[/name]? [name]Just[/name] another option :slight_smile:

GIRLS
[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] has grown on me, very feminine and classic.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - not a fan, makes me think of [name]Bernice[/name], old lady.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - A little wordy with such a long last name, also a bad personal connection for me.
[name]Dahlia[/name] - I don’t mind it, it has all of the elements I would like in a name, just doesn’t click for me.
[name]Elsa[/name] - not a fan.
[name]Elyse[/name] - pretty and cute, I don’t mind it.
[name]Fern[/name] (middle only) - again old lady.
[name]Iris[/name] - My favourite on your list!
[name]Sabine[/name] - Reminds me too much of [name]Sabrina[/name] I think.
[name]Sylvie[/name] - I don’t mind this. It could be pretty.
[name]Vivian[/name] - My Aunt’s name. Not a favourite.
[name]Wren[/name] (middle only) - not bad.

BOYS
[name]Ansel[/name] - makes me think of [name]Hansel[/name] as in [name]Hansel[/name] and [name]Gretel[/name]. not a fan.
[name]Arthur[/name] (middle only) - makes me think of [name]Arthur[/name] the children’s book series/cartoon.
[name]August[/name] - love [name]August[/name], reminds me of [name]August[/name] [name]Rush[/name] in a very wonderful way.
[name]Calvin[/name] - and [name]Hobbes[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name] - very bad personal connection for me.
[name]Edgar[/name] - reminds me of that mouse from Aristocats. [name]Just[/name] all around unpleasant sounding imo.
[name]George[/name] - no.
[name]Graham[/name] - it’s okay, not my favourite. I like the spelling [name]Graeme[/name].
[name]Ivan[/name] - it’s okay.
[name]Linus[/name] - reminds me of [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name].
[name]Orson[/name] - I don’t mind this at all.
[name]Oscar[/name] - the grouch.
[name]Wyatt[/name] - I like this.

[name]IMO[/name], most of your other names either remind me of something I might name a pet, ie oscar or george, or a little dated. (I’m not up with the nameberry trend of overly old-fashioned names).

Some similar alternatives to your list could include:
[name]Emmett[/name] or [name]Edison[/name] (instead of [name]Edgar[/name])
[name]Lennon[/name] (instead of [name]Linus[/name])
[name]Owen[/name] or [name]Orion[/name] (instead of [name]Oscar[/name])
[name]Isaac[/name] (instead of [name]Ivan[/name])
[name]Dominic[/name] (instead of [name]Desmond[/name])

[name]Just[/name] adding a little twist into the mix. Have you thought of [name]Wynne[/name] instead of [name]Wren[/name] as a middle?

[name]Hope[/name] this helps.
Best of luck!

Here’s my favorites, and some with nm suggestions

GIRLS
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] (but if your last name starts with B might be a bad idea)
[name]Dahlia[/name] ([name]Love[/name] this!)
[name]Elyse[/name] (i also like [name]Elodie[/name])
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

All of your girl names were pretty. It was hard to narrow down.

BOYS
[name]August[/name] [name]Graham[/name] - love [name]August[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]Wyatt[/name] ([name]George[/name] is so Greek what about [name]Jasper[/name] or [name]Garrison[/name])

To be honest, I think you need to keep looking for more Boy names a lot of them aren’t bad but aren’t awesome…I do love [name]August[/name]. I agree that [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Eddison[/name] and [name]Lennox[/name] might be better.