Connected Names

I just realised that [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] are from the same route name, [name_f]Amabel[/name_f]. Here’s me assuming [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] was just [name_f]Anna[/name_f] + [name_f]Bel[/name_f], but that got me thinking, in terms of starting a new thread, what are two names you thought were unrelated but ended up being from the same source? Or what names you thought were connected but actually weren’t?

I think it’d be really interesting to hear any similar realisations :relaxed:

Its so strange when you find out two names mean the same thing or are connected!
I only recently realised that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] both mean ‘pledged to god’.

1 Like

Margaret & [name_f]Megan[/name_f]

Probably only realised that they’re essentially the same name about a year ago

1 Like

I was a bit surprised to hear that [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is the female version of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. It makes sense, but it just wasn’t something that originally occurred to me.

I’m not entirely sure why, but I thought [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] might have some sort of connection, but it appears they don’t

1 Like

Johannes & [name_u]Jean[/name_u] are related.

1 Like

I believe [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] are too. Did not expect that one

1 Like

Charles + [name_u]Francis[/name_u] both mean “free man”.

I found this out because my mum’s name is [name_f]Carole[/name_f] (feminine diminutive of [name_m]Charles[/name_m]) and her mum’s name is [name_f]Frances[/name_f] - so both their names mean the same thing!

1 Like

Maisie and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]

1 Like

Jane is the female version of [name_m]John[/name_m] and I believe they have the same meaning.

2 Likes

I still can’t believe [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] isn’t associated with other “star” names. Same thing for [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] & [name_m]Edward[/name_m], I always thought [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is another form of [name_m]Edward[/name_m]!

2 Likes

I remember that for me it was a huge surprise that [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is from the same name tree as [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. And the fact that [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are “related”.
And then there is this huge [name_m]John[/name_m]’s family tree. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_u]Evan[/name_u]/Ivan? [name_m]Hans[/name_m] and [name_f]Janine[/name_f]? And [name_m]Ian[/name_m]? All from the same origin.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is the [name_u]French[/name_u] form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], not sure, would need to look it up again.

John & [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_f]May[/name_f] & [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

1 Like

yes, i believe it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Matilda and [name_u]Madison[/name_u]! Both come from [name_f]Maud[/name_f].

1 Like

I didn’t know [name_u]Anne[/name_u] meant [name_f]Grace[/name_f]!

1 Like

In Spanish, Diego, Jaime, Jaume, Jacobo, Yago, Thiago, Xacobo… all come from Santiago (which is form by San + Tiago), because the original name was Iacobus… Iacobus evolves to Jacomu in old spanish… and Jacomu became Jaime / Jaco / Jago / Yago… The thing is, both Jacobo and James have the same origin, so Jacob and James in english also have the same origin.

I just love it!

Sonia & Sofia also have the same origin, as well as María and Miriam but I think these one are “easier” to guess than Jacob and James.

Then, the name Ignacio and Iñaki do have the same origin, but Íñigo (as in Iñigo Montoya) don’t! And a lot of people tend to think that Íñigo is the spanish version of the basque Iñaki.

Eulalia is a fairly common name here in Nameberry. Well, Olaya/Olalla has the same origin and I think it’s just a lovely name! Laia used to be a nickname for Eulalia, but now it’s a name of its own.

1 Like

Wow, never thought about [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]/Inés, but it does make sense.

1 Like