Considering changing my own name...

[name]Hi[/name] there,

I am actually considering changing my own first (and last) name and was looking for a bit of input. I’ve always hated my name and it doesn’t have great associations for me either- I’d rather just be rid of it and have a name I’m happy with. I won’t say what it is on these boards, but its dreadfully old fashioned and I’ve disliked it since I was a little girl.

My nickname, and what the majority of people know me by, is [name]Bee[/name]. I want to be able to keep this as a nickname so any suggestions you have for a longer name for this would be brilliant.

It might be easier to tell you a bit about my personality to find a name that suits- I’m a really bubbly, upbeat person and extremely ambitious. I am a very loyal person, don’t like being tied to one place for too long, I’m fiercly independant and love literature (the classics mainly). I’m girly to an extent, I am very into my makeup and clothes, but I have a tomboyish side- I love [name]Star[/name] Wars, a lot, and grew up watching everything superhero related. I consider myself to be somewhat intellegent and I’m a really open minded person. I’m quite quick witted and sarcastic also. I hope that kind of gives you a bit of an idea about me.

Anyway, I was thinking that [name]Phoebe[/name] might be a good option for me? But I don’t know how well this would work in a professional setting, what do you think? Any other suggestions for “[name]Bee[/name]” names would be fantastic.

Thanks!

I don’t see any problem with [name]Pheobe[/name] in a professional setting. I think its a great name, and certainly works with the nn [name]Bee[/name].

Other names I think could work with nn [name]Bee[/name]:
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]

I don’t see any problem with [name]Pheobe[/name] in a professional setting. I think its a great name, and certainly works with the nn [name]Bee[/name], and your personality!

Other names that could work with nn [name]Bee[/name]:
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Shelby[/name] (may be a little too dated)
[name]Albina[/name] (a little old-fashioned)

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: I’m glad that so far people think [name]Phoebe[/name] would work in a professional setting…I was worried it sounded rather childish, but I really do love the name

I also really liked [name]Shelby[/name] and [name]Sabrina[/name] as suggestions! :slight_smile: They’re really pretty!

An extra bit of information is that I’m from the UK- so names that seem dated in america may not be the case for me :slight_smile:

I love [name]Phoebe[/name]! I think it’s totally fine for an adult. You could use pretty much any name starting with B to get to the nickname [name]Bee[/name]:

[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Belen[/name]
[name]Bibiane[/name]

Or even:

[name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Abelia[/name]
[name]Thisbe[/name]

I like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Helena[/name] because they both have classical Greek roots and are imo timeless, beautiful, ladylike, classy.

I don’t see a [name]Phoebe[/name] as a go getter walk all over you kind of girl. I think [name]Scarlett[/name] fits into that scenario better.

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Tamsin[/name] Beautiful, smart, No 1, [name]Tamsin[/name] for the tom boyish side of you.

You can choose any name you like and the nn doesn’t have to be directly related to it. For example my mother [name]Margaret[/name]'s nn was [name]Jane[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name]!

I think [name]Phoebe[/name] is unique and pretty, and it can be both professional and sophisticated while also being fun and sassy. I don’t know if you were going to change your middle name, but I like [name]Phoebe[/name] with a classic - something like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Theresa[/name].

Did you say that you liked the suggestions of [name]Shelby[/name] and [name]Sabrina[/name]? I believe those were the names, and I don’t like to criticize the suggestions of others, but I think [name]Shelby[/name], in particular, has a very young, unprofessional sound - elegance and professionalism seem to be important to you, so I wouldn’t consider that one. [name]Sabrina[/name], also, sounds slightly young, but honestly makes me think of a very snobby and unfriendly girl - you seem so sweet!

I’d suggest names that can be shorted to B or [name]Bee[/name], such as [name]Blair[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Bellamy[/name], or [name]Bianca[/name] - though [name]Bianca[/name] carries the same image for me as [name]Sabrina[/name]. My favorite here is [name]Blair[/name].

Or, perhaps a name meaning “bee,” [name]Melissa[/name], would be perfect for you. I’m not sure how old you are, but I see this working well for a woman in her late 20s and early 30s…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Oh wow thanks for such a lengthy reply! I’m actually 18, but I’m pretty ambitious and hoping to get into a really professional, high end job in my chosen career- so it is important to me that the name doesn’t sound too “childlike”.

I do like [name]Shelby[/name] and [name]Sabrina[/name] purely because they sound rather fun and upbeat- which I would say I am- but I agree they don’t have the professional edge to them that I need. I liked your suggestion of [name]Bellamy[/name], I think thats really pretty but am worried people would instantly call me “[name]Bella[/name]” which I am not fond of. I currently have a name beggining with “B” which is how I got my current nickname.

I think [name]Phoebe[/name] stood out to me as it sounds a rather positive, fresh, colourful name without being too “out there” if that makes any sense? I also love the mythology connections to the moon godess, as I’m rather interested in mythology.
I am definately also looking to change my middle name, but thought I’d get a few first name ideas under my belt first. I really liked [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], I tend to like two middle names and meaning would be important to me in the middle name spot- as I see this as a bit of a fresh start on my part (I’ve been through a pretty rough time of it) but doesn’t matter so much on the first name spot.

Oh and thank you for calling me sweet! :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your suggestions :slight_smile: I appreciate all the replies and help people have given. Please do keep the advice coming, I’m very grateful! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Phoebe[/name]!

[name]Say[/name] no more, you have won me over with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]!!

PS 18 is a good age to change your name. You are leaving school behind and meeting a lot of new friends who will not care what your name is and whatever you tell them it is will be it for them.

If you have friends or family who call you by your original name do not worry, that is who they know you as, and when the old name people meet the new name people you will be in the midst of them answering to either name.

When people understand the reason for the different name they will think nothing of it and both camps will call you by the name they have always known you by. [name]Trust[/name] me I know.

Thank you so much [name]Rollo[/name] for that advice! That was awfully kind of you.

This is something I’ve been wanting to do since I was a child, I’ve always hated my name. The family thing never really bothered me at all, as I didn’t actually have any family for a long while…but recently a few got in touch, and they still call me by my full name (its what they know me as) despite my protests to call me [name]Bee[/name].

I’m honestly not worried about them calling me that, I’d actually prefer to keep that stage of my life seperate from the one I am entering. I will be moving away soon, to go to university, to a different part of the country- so they won’t really be mingling with others who will be calling me by my new name anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks so much again [name]Rollo[/name]!

[name]Gaia[/name],

You’ve got great meanings in both [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name], and the pairing of [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is delightful! If you want a second middle name, it really depends on the last name. Did you mention you were changing your last name, too? Are you sure you don’t want to hold on to any part of your “previous identity” besides your nickname, [name]Bee[/name]? If you don’t want to keep your own last name, perhaps you could use your mother’s maiden name - or search your own family tree to find the perfect surname for you! I’d love to do that…

Anyway, once you know your new last name, we can get to work on a second middle name, assuming [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is what you love. If it makes any difference, I think it is the perfect combination of classic elegance and playful whimsy! So feminine and beautiful without being over-the-top…

Take care!

Yep I’ll be changing my last name also :slight_smile: I’m really quite excited about finally changing everything. I don’t want to keep any of my previous names at all [name]Lemon[/name], or take my mother’s maiden name as like I said before I’ve never really had any family- and I’m not in touch with either parent. I see this as my opportunity to mark this new stage in my life and completely move on from my past. I really want to find the perfect name- first, middles and last. I really do like [name]Caroline[/name] paired with [name]Phoebe[/name], its such a classy, pretty combination! I’m completely open to every idea for middle names though, nothing is set in stone. I want to make sure I get the right name for me. I’d love a middle name that means “happy” or has a connection to that somewhere, as thats what I want to be from now on.

Thanks so much again for everyone’s input :slight_smile:

Oh and I’m also not overly sure on last names…but I quite like [name]Gilmore[/name], [name]Cassidy[/name] and Lockhart so far (from what I’ve looked up anyway). And I quite like the idea of using Larkspur as a surname if people think it could work, its a name I’ve liked for some time…but only as a surname

I’m sure my opinion is too late at this point and you probably don’t care about what I think. However I felt it was right to express share my thoughts.
[name]Phoebe[/name] is a nice name and so is [name]Caroline[/name]. Together? Makes me nautious. :open_mouth: I don’t really want to offend anyone. It’s just that I get two different vibes from the names. It’s like ketchup in your cereal. Ketchup may taste great and cereal too. But noone mixes them together because that would taste horrid. If I had a friend named [name]Phoebe[/name] I’d call her Pheebs! [name]Pheobe[/name] is NOT unusual! I’d just like to point that out.

As for [name]Caroline[/name]. I love that name. It’s …I’m not sure what it is, but I like it. :wink:

If you wanted to you COULD give yourself a B nickname. That way you have more options and your nn still has it’s significance.

:slight_smile:

anyways, that’s me. And those are my feelings.

[name]Gaia[/name],

Are you thinking [name]Phoebe[/name] is the one, though? I personally love it, as I said before. It isn’t too unusual, but it isn’t too common. It is spunky and playful and serious all at the same time.

Two names meaning “happy” are [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name], though [name]Joy[/name] could be pretty, too!

As for your last name, I like [name]Cassidy[/name] best out of your choices, but I don’t know if I love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Cassidy[/name]. It doesn’t sound the most professional, though the rhyme-y sound is cute. Larkspur is a bit too unusual for me - I think you want something interesting but common enough that it is recognizable and easy to spell. Some potential last names:

[name]Armstrong[/name]
[name]Barlow[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
Dent
[name]England[/name]
[name]Fox[/name]
Groves
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Jacoby[/name]
Kline
[name]Livingstone[/name]
[name]Mills[/name]
Oldfield
[name]Parker[/name]
[name]Radcliffe[/name]
Swift
Townsend
Pressman
Underwood
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilder[/name]

You want something you like to write and say. Try introducing yourself as Ms. LASTNAME, and see how it feels. You may even consider choosing a literary figure as inspiration (i.e., [name]Bennet[/name], Welland, [name]Archer[/name], [name]Alcott[/name], [name]Auden[/name]).

Some combinations I like:

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Fox[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [name]Livingstone[/name]

Take care!

Your still young. If your serious about changing your name, I do not suggest you change your last name. By the time you get used to it you;ll hopefuly have to change it again soon. :wink:

[name]Hi[/name]! Before I even read that you were considering [name]Phoebe[/name], it was the first name that popped into my mind. [name]Phoebe[/name] makes me think of someone who is sweet, warm, bright, energetic, and fun, and I think it seems like a perfect choice for you. :slight_smile:

I love the suggestion of [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]!

Some more you may like:

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Coraline[/name] (someone once considered this for her baby girl, and I thought it was great!)
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] (I pronounce [name]Catherine[/name] with thee syllables–subtle middle syllable–but I know that some pronounce it with only two)
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (ditto)
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]

I really, really love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], though! :slight_smile:

I also loved the first name suggestions of [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name], but [name]Pheobe[/name] seems like such a great choice for you. :slight_smile:

I hope you choose whatever makes you happiest! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

It certainly seems like [name]Phoebe[/name] is the name the majority like so far :slight_smile: Its a name I’ve loved for a long time, but like I said before I was worried about the “seriousness” of the name- perhaps this is mainly due to the Friends character- but now my doubts have completely faded after reading everyone’s comments. I’m still open to any other ideas, but [name]Phoebe[/name] is sounding pretty much perfect to me so far! I think it would suit me rather well!

[name]Rachel[/name] I certainly do care what you think, I made the thread to get as much input as possible :slight_smile: I actually like the fact [name]Phoebe[/name] is not too uncommon, I’m fed up of having an unusual name- its always mispelt, mispronounced and met with funny looks. [name]Phoebe[/name] is common enough to be known, but not so overly popular I’m going to meet hundreds of others with the name. The last name is definately changing, my mind is completely made up on that. Thanks so much for your input though :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name] I’m so pleased at the images the name [name]Phoebe[/name] conjures up for you, thats pretty much my personality and I’m chuffed that it seems to fit! I liked all of your middle name suggestions and I shall definately think seriously about some of them.

[name]Lemon[/name] you’ve been a mammoth help to me! Thanks so much, you are full of ideas. I quite liked [name]Fox[/name] and Swift from your list, but I do have to admit I still have a soft spot for Larkspur- I wouldn’t mind having to spell it out to people, I’m used to having to do that currently anyway. I’d like to have something a little unusual in the surname spot if possible, I think [name]Phoebe[/name] Larkspur looks rather pretty. I also agree with you on [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Cassidy[/name]…it sounds rather childish due to the rhyming quality- I hadn’t picked up on that at all. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Fox[/name] looks really fiesty and pretty, and [name]Phoebe[/name] Swift looks rather romantic, they’re definately on the list.

I do think my mind is pretty much made up on [name]Phoebe[/name] now…I think I’ve fallen a little in love with it.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Gaia[/name]!

My reservation with Larkspur as a surname is that it sounds so unconventional that I worry it looks like an alias or something - do you see where I’m coming from? I don’t know where you live, but here in the US, Larkspur would be pretty peculiar - and it is a city in [name]California[/name] (yes, it is also a flower). Have you considered using Larkspur as one of your two middle names?

[name]Glad[/name] you like [name]Fox[/name] and Swift! I love short, peppy last names. Swift does have an elegant yet playful, romantic feel, especially with [name]Phoebe[/name]. I suggested [name]Fox[/name] because I happen to know a [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name] [name]Fox[/name], and [name]Fox[/name] has a mysterious, strong, yet still spunky sound that really appeals to me! [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Fox[/name] has a cute - but still elegant - alliteration, too.

Also wanted to mention that I know a [name]Phoebe[/name] (age 19) and her name is [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] - now, this is a bit much for me, but it is very her!

Good luck!

I think Armitage is a nice surname.