Considering Gabrielle but my friends' son is Gabriel..??

[name]Hi[/name] Berries,

The name at the top of my list at the moment is [name]Gabrielle[/name], but one of my friends has a son called [name]Gabriel[/name]. I’m thinking that there are enough differences that it doesn’t matter: obviously they are different genders, the names are pronounced differently; he is [name]Gabe[/name] & she will be [name]Gabby[/name]. [name]Gabe[/name] will be more than 4 when my daughter is born.

My friend is close, as in we have a strong friendship, but we don’t live close to each other and generally only manage to see each other a few times a year, so it’s not like our kids are cousins or will grow up playing together every weekend.

What do you think? Are the names too close? Would you be offended, see it as a compliment or not worry?

So far (after 5 months of agonising negotiations) this name is the only one that DH & I have been able to agree on and both feel 100% happy with, so I am loathe to let it go. The obvious answer is to ask my friend if she minds, but if she says she does then I don’t know what I’ll do! My plan so far is to talk to her after my daughter is born and her name is announced and explain my reasons…is that awful? What would you do?

I don’t think the names are too close at all, for the reasons that you mentioned. Plus I think your friend might see it as a compliment!

[name]Gabrielle[/name] is very pretty, by the way - any mn’s picked out?

Thankyou Kyemsma, just the answer I wanted :slight_smile:
mn will most probably be [name]Marianne[/name], for my [name]MIL[/name]

I don’t think these names are too too similar, but if you do have hesitations about the name I think you should just mention it to your friend. I don’t think it’s a big deal- it’s like if she had [name]Mikey[/name] and you had [name]Michelle[/name]- even though it’s the feminized version I would barely notice or think of the connection.

I agree completely with this! [name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] is very cute and I think it fits really well with [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

I think the nn [name]Gabby[/name] probably suits your style the best, but if you want to differentiate even more, have you considered a different nn? I have heard [name]Abby[/name], [name]Ari[/name], [name]Gigi[/name], [name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name], [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name], [name]Brielle[/name]/[name]Briella[/name], [name]Brie[/name]/[name]Bria[/name], etc., as nns for [name]Gabrielle[/name]/[name]Gabriella[/name], and those would help make [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Gabrielle[/name] more distinct from each other…

Good luck!

I wouldn’t mind that connection at all, it’s not too close, Especially since one is a girl and the other is a boy. It’s not like you would have two [name]Gabriella[/name]'s so close in age. BUT, do you like the nn [name]Gabby[/name]? You won’t be able to get away from it without constantly correcting people. That would be my only concern personally. Otherwise it’s a very pretty name :slight_smile:

Thanks all for your thoughts. I’m feeling reassured :slight_smile:

Lots of comments on the nn options too; DH likes [name]Gabby[/name] mainly, we seem to be opposite on every naming decision this time - in retrospect I am amazed that we managed to name our first daughter at all! I like a lot of the others, especially [name]Elle[/name], but my daughter [name]Lauren[/name] is already [name]Lolly[/name]/Lol a lot of the time so I am veering to a nn that is substantially different. I love [name]Abbie[/name], but that is another close friend’s daughter’s name (what a minefield!). If we go with [name]Gabrielle[/name] (highly likely) I think I will wait and see what nn evolves…

I am in the same boat - I also love the name [name]Gabrielle[/name] but felt I had to take it off my list because of a friend with a son named [name]Gabriel[/name]. I feel like she would be offended :frowning:

[name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] is very pretty. If you call her exclusively [name]Gabrielle[/name], other people will follow your lead.:slight_smile: