Convince me to use Magnolia!

A while ago I mentioned to my husband that I liked the name [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (with nickname [name_f]Nola[/name_f]). He loved it! He’s totally on board and to him that’s the name we’ll use. I still love it but I’m hesitant for the following reasons:

1 – Is [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] too “out there” or “over the top”? Too “frilly”?
2 – If we’re going to call her [name_f]Nola[/name_f] most of the time should we just name her [name_f]Nola[/name_f]?
3 – Is the reference to [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans too much to make [name_f]Nola[/name_f] usable? (We’re in the Southeastern part of the US but not [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f])
4 – Any middle name suggestions? We’re thinking something short but not nature-y.

Thanks for any help here!

I think [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a lovely name! A monosyllable middle name would balance it out a bit, I think - maybe something along the lines of [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Grace[/name_f]?

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a very nice name, but then again my name is [name_f]Margarita[/name_f]. They are both flower names with Ma- and a hard g. A little girl named [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] will never have the kind of problem I have with my name… Unless they name a drink [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] too.

Other than that it’s a beautiful, unique name, undoubtedly vintage and sweet, but at the same time strong. I think that despite nickname-names being more and more used and accepted, it’s very good to have a full name. I for one, hat being called [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Meg[/name_f]. My name’s [name_f]Margarita[/name_f] and just that.

I really like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]! Recently I’ve fallen in love with the combo [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Fay[/name_f]. I agree with a previous poster that it’s vintage and sweet but at the same time strong. I don’t think it’s too frilly, but I also like frilly names like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]. I think it would be better to give her options instead of just naming her [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. She could go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Meg[/name_f] if she wanted something less frilly and a little more grown up than [name_f]Nola[/name_f].

I adore [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. Its sweet, with vintage flair and is sweet-sounding. It has personal significance to me, so I’d use it in a heartbeat but know I’d never get oh on board. Definitely don’t think its too frily, but thats just me. I love [name_f]Nola[/name_f], and I live in the southern part of the US too, not [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f], but I still think [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is usable.

Great! Thanks so much for all of the input so far!

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a beautiful name with a reference to the beautiful [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] tree and flower so it has a nature aspect which makes it less out there. It fits in with the popular [name_f]Willow[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] while still being special. Its definitely not too frilly, and the nickname [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is cute! I would choose the full name and use [name_f]Nola[/name_f] as a nickname. I like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f].

I want to tell you to use it but honestly, I wouldn’t want that as my name. It’s beautiful but it’s also clunky & a mouthful. I was a tomboy as a kid and would’ve been embarrassed to be named [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. I would, however, love it as a mn because it’s so unexpected

I vote to just to go with [name_f]Nola[/name_f]. It can stand on its own and is actually more formal a name than [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. I’m not from the states, so I can’t speak to the [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans association, though. I think if you go with [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], you have to love it and like saying the full version, and anticipate that others will shorten it to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Meg[/name_f] instead some of the time.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is on my list, but so is [name_f]Nola[/name_f] and I like that a lot more.

Though [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is beautiful, I feel like it also comes with some pressure, since it’s not your average nature name. Like, I would imagine [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] as a beautiful and cute girl who loves to do girly things. Chances are though, that you get a tomboy who likes video games and football.

I think [name_f]Nola[/name_f] can totally stand on its own, it’s unexpected, easy to pronounce and very pretty. I feel like a [name_f]Nola[/name_f] could be any type of girl. If you’re going to call her [name_f]Nola[/name_f] anyway, I would stick to that. Many people would automatically shorten [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and she would have to always tell people that she goes by [name_f]Nola[/name_f], not [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].

This is just my opinion though, and you should do what feel right for you.
But basically, I totally vote for [name_f]Nola[/name_f] as the full name.

I love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]! I love a lot of the suggestions that have been made already, but I also really love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. I feel like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a very strong name, and I feel like [name_f]Ann[/name_f] has the right amount of softness to temper it.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]…

She is a gorgeous, wholesome choice with great southern charm defiantly not [name_m]OTT[/name_m]. She has a range of lovely nicknames [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Mags[/name_f], and even [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. I would use [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Nola[/name_f] (even though [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is great as a name in it’s own right) is just far prettier and feels more classic as [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] with the [name_f]Nola[/name_f] nickname. Also sometimes it’s nice to have a nickname rather than outright using a nickname name. To be honest regarding your [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans/[name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] thing I really do not know about this association because I am not from that part of the world nor aware of the connotations, I just see [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] as a nice name. [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a great but I would team her with a softer more traditional middle name something like [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f] that would work wonders with [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f].

: )

I prefer Maganolia to [name_f]Nola[/name_f]. And as for if she’s a tomboy her nickname could always be [name_f]Leah[/name_f] too.
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Ruelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Circe[/name_f]

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a beautiful name and there’s a great song called that, by The Hush Sound. For a middle name, here are some ideas (sorry for repeats).
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Amy[/name_f]

And some longer ones:

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]

Thank you so much for your opinions!

Nat108 – I know what you mean. I’m not sure if I can picture myself as a [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] either…

Schickler & Maimouse – I appreciate your advice. I have a straightforward name with no nicknames because my mother was in the “just name them what you’re going to call them” camp. I do worry that having a formal name and a nickname would be annoying.

And thanks to everyone else who are pro [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & suggested middles! I’m feeling braver…